AR Newbie Registered Member

My selector changed for DVD on Receiver

A curious thing occurred today. For past two years( because of the unusual hook-ups), I have viewed DVD and listened to CD via the CD selector on my receiver.Tonight I put a DVD on and got picture but no sound.I selected DVD position (which I have never used) and all was okay.
    Also played a CD in same position and no sound with CD selector.Hope I have explained all properly. Does anyone know why or how this happened? I have not touched any hook-ups to create any changes so am puzzled.
    Feel free to ask this novice for clarification and Thanks!

Suspended
    One word, Gremlins

Seriously, I can't explain how you did it but it sounds like some how your input, the same one, was assigned a new title. Some one could have sat on the remote or something. I wouldn't worry about it. Some receivers assign a title or name to an input and it's fixed. But today with so many possibilities for hook ups the receivers allow you to assign the input to the title. For instance, one may use a component video and optical audio, some one else might use analog input and composite video but both like the receiver to say "DVD" when they switch it to that unit. So the receiver has one title or selector position for "DVD" but you can assign it to whatever combination of inputs you want.

And, if that's not your answer, then I went into a long explanation for nothing Sounds plausible though, right?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper1
    A curious thing occurred today. For past two years( because of the unusual hook-ups), I have viewed DVD and listened to CD via the CD selector on my receiver.Tonight I put a DVD on and got picture but no sound.I selected DVD position (which I have never used) and all was okay.
    Also played a CD in same position and no sound with CD selector.Hope I have explained all properly. Does anyone know why or how this happened? I have not touched any hook-ups to create any changes so am puzzled.
    Feel free to ask this novice for clarification and Thanks!
    More than likely the power went off and cleared the settings, putting everything on the default settings that the receiver starts out with. Doesnt take more than a blip.
    If you like it as is fine, but you can always go back into setup and redo it to the way you had it.
    of course the next time the power goes off...
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thank you very much!
    So, no harm done-I will leave as is.

Thank You very much!