Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Any thoughts on power conditioners ?

Now that I have my new HT set up just about complete, I was wondering if I should get a power conditioner. I am currently only using a Belkin surge protector.

Is this a must have item? Do most people here use them? If so, any recommendations?

I came across this one one on Amazon. The price looks decent, but I have no idea if it is any good.

http://www.amazon.com/11-OUTLET-Thea...1891466&sr=8-1

Just looking for some input here. Thanks guys !!

oh and if you DON"T use one, I would like to know. I'm kinda wondering how many people around here actually use one.

i use one, more for the convenience of turning everything on with one button. it does provide some line protection but i have no idea to what extent (i dont want to find out if it can withstand a direct lightning strike). i've heard some say a quality conditioner will improve sound, i've heard others say an inadequate conditioner will degrade sound. still others note that amps have their own conditioners built in, which makes adding your own moot.

mine is an older Panamax 1000+ that i got for cheap. i cannot detect any change in the sound, with or without the device.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by codecougar
    Now that I have my new HT set up just about complete, I was wondering if I should get a power conditioner. I am currently only using a Belkin surge protector.

Is this a must have item? Do most people here use them? If so, any recommendations?

I came across this one one on Amazon. The price looks decent, but I have no idea if it is any good.

http://www.amazon.com/11-OUTLET-Thea...1891466&sr=8-1

Just looking for some input here. Thanks guys !!

I use that same power conditioner and have been very pleased with the results. I would highly recommend it for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by codecougar
    oh and if you DON"T use one, I would like to know. I'm kinda wondering how many people around here actually use one.
    I bought a Monster power strip for half price, (99$) and it has some filtering.
    Unless you live in a third world country you don't really need "power filtering".
    But one thing forgotten is power BACKUP.
    Not just for your computer but for more delicate pieces of equipment, and stuff for which the memory will disapear with a power outage, or a cable box, that will lose the program guide with a power failure.
    As more and more stuff becomes computerized a APC makes more and more sense
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    I have both a Monster HTS 3600 and 2600. They both change the tonal qualities of the sound. They tighten the bass giving it more punch and musical quality as well as reduce treble smearing improving soundstage. I was blown away by the difference! Ran blind tests with three friends and they all felt the tonal quality was much better with the conditioner (i didn't tell them when it was conditioned or not). I highly recommend them if you're a critical listener.
    Last edited by gman086; 10-08-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dingus
    i use one, more for the convenience of turning everything on with one button. it does provide some line protection but i have no idea to what extent (i dont want to find out if it can withstand a direct lightning strike). i've heard some say a quality conditioner will improve sound, i've heard others say an inadequate conditioner will degrade sound. still others note that amps have their own conditioners built in, which makes adding your own moot.

mine is an older Panamax 1000+ that i got for cheap. i cannot detect any change in the sound, with or without the device.
    I have a Panamax 1000+ laying around as well. That is a SURGE protector and not a power conditioner so you shouldn't notice any change in sound quality! There is a huge tonal difference compared to my Monster power conditioners which do improve sound from most of your everyday A/V receivers without external amps.

I use and Art SP 4x4 power conditioner. When I first hooked it up I noticed detail from cd's, mp3's I never knew they were capable of. Now I don't know if it actually improved the cd player or regulated the voltage to my speakers so that the speakers were always drawing on full voltage. Regardless the sound was more detailed than previously. This also may be because I have all my equipment plugged into one wall outlet.
    My brother also bought one after I told him about it, which he uses for his radio scanner. His is a better model with line filtering, and he said it eliminated the noise he was getting.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Unless you live in a third world country you don't really need "power filtering".
    Actually, you have this bass ackwards. I'll go out on a limb and suggest there are few third world homes that contain multitudes of computer controlled appliances, cable boxes, Tivos, wireless routers. etc. which either radiate RFI or spew it back through the AC. It is those devices that generate the noise power conditioning products address.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by gman086
    I have a Panamax 1000+ laying around as well. That is a SURGE protector and not a power conditioner so you shouldn't notice any change in sound quality! ...
    i dont know, its marketed as a "line conditioner" but marketing dont make it so.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Forum Regular

Conditioners

I have a panamax 4300, Seems to be ok, Looks good on the shelf.

My next purchase is a Wiremold L10320 power strip. This power strip has 9 hospital-grade sockets hardwired together. There is no circuit breaker, no noise filter, no light, no switch and no fuse. Any one of these items will reduce the system's musical performance.

Don't be fooled by power conditioners, it's been my experience that these will make the system worse in every case (or possibly make one area a little better, while ruining many others).

I have a Panamax M5400EX and I got it mainly for the A/C regeneration system. It goes from A/C to D/C and then back to A/C so it is perfect power.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Actually, you have this bass ackwards. I'll go out on a limb and suggest there are few third world homes that contain multitudes of computer controlled appliances, cable boxes, Tivos, wireless routers. etc. which either radiate RFI or spew it back through the AC. It is those devices that generate the noise power conditioning products address.

rw
    So what else is new....Pix is constantly plaguing this site with mis-information.

speaking from experience...

There are two Belkin PureAV units that are quite nice...the PF40 and the PF60...the PF60 allows you to program each outlet and determine if you want it to be switched or not, while the PF40 is already pre-assigned. Both have 2 outlets designed for high-current amplifier attachments and both have a LED display that shows your current usage and such. I have both units and I have gone further with my isolation and have one setup for my audio system and one for my HT system. I also have them plugged into a PS Audio powerport.

What I like about the Belkin units is that they are very well constructed, perform with excellence and even look professional too. They are great units that you can usually find for a great price online as well.

rw
    I don't believe that Pix is speaking about power conditioning in third world countries, but to use UPS's. I don't use one because I have a panel and not a lamp engine to cool down...I may need one for my CPU, just too lazy to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVO
    I don't believe that Pix is speaking about power conditioning in third world countries, but to use UPS's. I don't use one because I have a panel and not a lamp engine to cool down...I may need one for my CPU, just too lazy to get one!
    Perhaps. I simply commented on that which he wrote. Power filtering is not the same as power regeneration. I have no need for the latter.

I use an inexpensive UPS for my primary desktop computer to address a completely different problem from the subject of this thread.

rw

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    So what else is new....Pix is constantly plaguing this site with mis-information.
    Thought you committed to leaving your thread-jacking Pix attacks to another thread....you know, that one you made?

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    Don't be fooled by power conditioners, it's been my experience that these will make the system worse in every case (or possibly make one area a little better, while ruining many others).
    I would agree with you had you limited the scope to high current devices such as power amps, receivers, etc. It is for that reason I use aftermarket PCs for the power amps in the two music systems and the HT receiver. If you find that a power conditioner limits the current delivery to a preamp or source that draws less than one-half an ampere, then I would recommend trying another.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Thought you committed to leaving your thread-jacking Pix attacks to another thread....you know, that one you made?
    This isn't an attack this is simply agreeing with someone else's comment and simply stating that this is nothing new. Thanks for your concern though on where, when, how, and why I post though.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    This isn't an attack this is simply agreeing with someone else's comment and simply stating that this is nothing new. Thanks for your concern though on where, when, how, and why I post though.
    First, you made no reference to agreeing with E-stat's comments, just more sarcasm.
    Come on....you saw an opportunity and you took a shot at him..."So what else is new....Pix is constantly plaguing this site with mis-information." That's a bit more than a casual observation.

Anyway, post away, just try and keep the Pix-rhetoric to a minimum, please....ok?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    First, you made no reference to agreeing with E-stat's comments, just more sarcasm.
    Come on....you saw an opportunity and you took a shot at him..."So what else is new....Pix is constantly plaguing this site with mis-information." That's a bit more than a casual observation.

Anyway, post away, just try and keep the Pix-rhetoric to a minimum, please....ok?
    Since when did AR become a Fascist Regime and when did they elect you the Post SS officer?

Pix's information was incorrect and I disagree with what he said and I agree with what E-Stat said. There! Was the plain enough for your liking?

I would agree with you had you limited the scope to high current devices such as power amps, receivers, etc. It is for that reason I use aftermarket PCs for the power amps in the two music systems and the HT receiver. If you find that a power conditioner limits the current delivery to a preamp or source that draws less than one-half an ampere, then I would recommend trying another.

rw
    You do speak the truth that Krell doesn't want you to use power conditioners for their amps...but I haven't heard of anybody else. If there is, please provide data.

You do speak the truth that Krell doesn't want you to use power conditioners for their amps...but I haven't heard of anybody else. If there is, please provide data.
    Yes, I have heard that as well, yes I agree with DEVO's response to E-Stats. I also have not heard of any other amp manufacturer stating this, therefore I also agree with DEVO's statement about that. I would also be interested if there is any other information out there on this, which again I agree with DEVO's comment.

Nelson Pass makes the same recommendation for his larger amps. Use the Adobe search tool to locate the word "conditioner":

XA 100.5

I simply cannot imagine someone wanting to run their high current amplifiers through yet another device and power cord. My VTL amps draw 10 amps each at full output. Ideally, I would have a dedicated line just for the amps, but my older home construction prevented me from recently having additional lines added by an electrician. Apparently, there are stacks of 2x4s forming a firewall that prevented him from being able to drop a line from the ceiling.

rw

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information