• 11-12-2005, 11:51 PM
    EdwardGein
    Any HDTV's 32-37" under $1,000 you'd recommend
    Still looking to get a bigger widescreen HDTV for my bedroom, 32-37", that I can buy for under $1,000 either new on clearance/open/dispay or used in very good condition. CRT is fine
    & it doesn't have to have a built in tuner/receiver because I'm going through my cable company anyway for HD & sound therefore is also irrelevant. The 2 Main factors are the HD picture & the reliability of the product, meaning it won't break down. I currently have in my bedroom a 30" Samsung widescreen CRT HDTV that has a very good picture but I need a bigger one as it just seems a bit too small when compared to my 48" Mitsubishi HDTV in the living room. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • 11-13-2005, 12:31 AM
    N. Abstentia
    You could get another Samsung, or a Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba for under $1000, lots of HDTV's in that price range.

I kinda like this one because it's 16:9
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110265591543
  • 11-13-2005, 02:55 AM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    You could get another Samsung, or a Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba for under $1000, lots of HDTV's in that price range.

I kinda like this one because it's 16:9
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110265591543

This was on my list till I read some of the reviews on it which freaked me out a bit.l Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • 11-13-2005, 08:07 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    This was on my list till I read some of the reviews on it which freaked me out a bit.l Thanks for the suggestion though.

If you want to go slightly over budget here is my recommendation.
    I have had mine for about a year now without any worry.
    Just keep in mind this set ways over 150lbs so it plays where it lays....... :)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

You can it on-line for just $200 over your limit.

I have seen several 4:3 32" TVs on sale this weekend at BB-CC and even Sears in the $600-800 range.
  • 11-13-2005, 10:00 AM
    EdwardGein
    You want to sell that, LOL? That's the perfectTV for me except the price is too high for my budget, especially because my 30" set is decent. Circuit City.com review's are pretty reliable. As for 4:3 HDTV's, I wouldn't take one for free. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • 11-13-2005, 11:02 AM
    cam
    Quote:

I had that on my list for myself also until the whole Orion thing. I am now leaning towards the Panasonic 34wx15, the 34 inch Sony is too high. Maybe Samsung will be coming out with a 34 slimfit design like their 30.
  • 11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cam
    I had that on my list for myself also until the whole Orion thing. I am now leaning towards the Panasonic 34wx15, the 34 inch Sony is too high. Maybe Samsung will be coming out with a 34 slimfit design like their 30.

I'm not so much concerned that several people on Amazon said this was contracted out by Orion but some problems with the pictures they had. Out of curiosity, when are you planning to buy yours? I thought there would be some steal at Veterans Day but there wasn't.

If something gets a reall good review by customers on Circuit City & is on sale for a great price, I'd go for it. The reviews on Amazon.com tend to be totally unreliable at times.
  • 11-13-2005, 11:59 AM
    cam
    Quote:

I'm not so much concerned that several people on Amazon said this was contracted out by Orion but some problems with the pictures they had. Out of curiosity, when are you planning to buy yours? I thought there would be some steal at Veterans Day but there wasn't.

If something gets a reall good review by customers on Circuit City & is on sale for a great price, I'd go for it. The reviews on Amazon.com tend to be totally unreliable at times.

I have 4 more payments to Sears for all my appliances (fridge stove dishwasher washer dryer) and then the wife said lets get a new tv. I want a big screen but I feel I should sit on the fence for about 2 more years. So in the mean time I am planning on getting the Panny 34wx15 for my living room. Then demote it to bedroom duties for maybe a 50 inch plasma. Right now the best I could do at Sears is $1280 + $220 5yr warranty + tax. Canadian money of course. I'm sure in about 4 months it should drop another $100 or so.
  • 11-16-2005, 05:36 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

You want to sell that, LOL? That's the perfectTV for me except the price is too high for my budget, especially because my 30" set is decent. Circuit City.com review's are pretty reliable. As for 4:3 HDTV's, I wouldn't take one for free. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ain't for sale until those lucky 6 numbers come in...... :)
    You are right about the 4:3 my goal will be to eventually 16:9 everywhere in the house.
    Good hunting.
  • 11-16-2005, 06:16 PM
    EdwardGein
    I Just Bought Panasonic 34" HDTV Monitor (CT-34WX15)
    I just bought the Panasonic 34" HDTV Monitor (CT-34WX15) for $1199 plus free delivery and installation from Circuit City, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

I'm hoping somehow the price goes down in the next 30 days. This TV which was a few hundred dollars more than I planned, looked too good to pass up. I also got a 3 year warranty for $139 which I'll extend in a few years. This will make a good HDTV for my bedroom. If there's anyone in LA & wants an excellent condition Samsung 30" widescreen HD TV 3064 with 4 year warranty left for $500 let me know.
  • 11-17-2005, 10:12 AM
    Smokey
    Quote:

I just bought the Panasonic 34" HDTV Monitor (CT-34WX15) for $1199 plus free delivery and installation from Circuit City, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

So how does it compare with Samsung?

I bought a SD Panasonic Tv last year from CC that buried Samsung TV in term of picture quality :)
  • 11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey
    So how does it compare with Samsung?

I bought a SD Panasonic Tv last year from CC that buried Samsung TV in term of picture quality :)

Won't really know till I have it running in my home. The picture for all Circuit City HD sets without a built in tuner at Circuit City is not (like Best Buy) an HD broadcast & I based my decision on all the reviews I read on the set. It'll be 1-3 weeks when I have it set up as I have to sell the Samsung, to free the space up to put up the Panasonic. All I know is the Samsung was a very good picture but at 30" the set was too small for me, compared to my 48" Mitsubishi HD which has an awesome picture.
  • 11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
    GMichael
  • 11-17-2005, 12:19 PM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael

Thanks for info I'll have to do some research on this as I know nothing about this whatsoever but it sounds interesting. As an aside, and its not related to your suggestion, 20 years ago, out of stupidity & cheapness on my part, I bought, I don't know if they sell them today, they should be illegal, one of these, I swear I'm not kidding, giant magnifying TV screens that you put in front of your TV & it made the picture huge. The problem was, and thank God I was home at the time, one day somehow the sun went directly into the glass magnifying lense & the next thing I know, a fire had started on my carpet. Luckily, I was in the next room and smelled it and was able to get it out but not before a huge hole had been burned on the carpet. My landlord thought I was nuts, it was a miracle I wasn't evicted and somehow his insurance policy got a new wall to wall carpet for the apartment.
  • 11-17-2005, 12:32 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Thanks for info I'll have to do some research on this as I know nothing about this whatsoever but it sounds interesting. As an aside, and its not related to your suggestion, 20 years ago, out of stupidity & cheapness on my part, I bought, I don't know if they sell them today, they should be illegal, one of these, I swear I'm not kidding, giant magnifying TV screens that you put in front of your TV & it made the picture huge. The problem was, and thank God I was home at the time, one day somehow the sun went directly into the glass magnifying lense & the next thing I know, a fire had started on my carpet. Luckily, I was in the next room and smelled it and was able to get it out but not before a huge hole had been burned on the carpet. My landlord thought I was nuts, it was a miracle I wasn't evicted and somehow his insurance policy got a new wall to wall carpet for the apartment.

Sniff sniff.. Do you smell something? Oh sh.t! My TV is burning the house down. No, I'm not joking. Great story. Truth is stranger than fiction.

I have been putting some reseach into the projector thing. Bigger & take up less space at the same time. No built in speakers like you were looking for awhile back. Win win I think.

Another good link if you want to see more info.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm
  • 11-17-2005, 12:51 PM
    robert393
    Quote:

I bought giant magnifying TV screens that you put in front of your TV & it made the picture huge. The problem was, and thank God I was home at the time, one day somehow the sun went directly into the glass magnifying lense & the next thing I know, a fire had started on my carpet. Luckily, I was in the next room and smelled it and was able to get it out but not before a huge hole had been burned on the carpet. My landlord thought I was nuts, it was a miracle I wasn't evicted and somehow his insurance policy got a new wall to wall carpet for the apartment.

OMG! This story is priceless......LOL!! You definately gave me laugh for the day.....SO FUNNY!
    Robert
  • 11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robert393
    OMG! This story is priceless......LOL!! You definately gave me laugh for the day.....SO FUNNY!
    Robert

I was lucky I was home. If I hadn't been the whole apartment would have gone up in flames. The look on my landlord's face when I explained to him what happened was priceless, it ranks up there, if you ever watch the Apprentice, with the look of the 4 people who were recently mass fired, in the taxi. Definately, one of the stupidist things I've ever done in my life next to getting a then girlfriend, an American Express Card too which I was responsble for.
  • 11-17-2005, 05:06 PM
    Eric Z
    EG- That's friggin' hilarious! I picture these big ass magnifying glass (like the old Harry Carry glasses) starting a fire in your house.

Did the magnifying glass actually work? Was the picture clear? I never heard of that before- it might have been before my time.
  • 11-17-2005, 06:30 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

I'm hoping somehow the price goes down in the next 30 days. This TV which was a few hundred dollars more than I planned, looked too good to pass up. I also got a 3 year warranty for $139 which I'll extend in a few years. This will make a good HDTV for my bedroom. If there's anyone in LA & wants an excellent condition Samsung 30" widescreen HD TV 3064 with 4 year warranty left for $500 let me know.

Congratulations on taking the plunge. You might get lucky in the next 30 days on the price guarantee, especially with the Turkey day sales coming up. BTW I never saw a magifying glass like you mention in your other posts but a friend of mine did have something similar except it was plastic and you stuck it directly on the TV. It was like a giant contact lense for your TV! It did enlarge the image but it was pretty distorted and fractured.It just looked like some sort of bad K-Tel product..:)
  • 11-17-2005, 06:37 PM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Z
    EG- That's friggin' hilarious! I picture these big ass magnifying glass (like the old Harry Carry glasses) starting a fire in your house.

Did the magnifying glass actually work? Was the picture clear? I never heard of that before- it might have been before my time.

It was OK at the time It did work but I had lower acceptable standards back then. The Picture kind of looked like what we'd consider stretched on an HDTV. At the time I had a 25" color set & I think this expanded the picture to 36" or something. It was like a stand with a giant 36" magnifying glass that you put directly in frotn of the TV. it did come with a cover but whoops I wasn't paying attention and didn't use. I ordered it from one of those mail order companies that sends you unsolicited alot of offers in one mailing & as I said out of cheapness & stupidity I ordered one. Who knows, maybe they're considered collectors items today & will sell on Ebay!
  • 11-18-2005, 06:10 AM
    Eric Z
    Good point, EG- thanks for sharing and giving us a laugh.