Forum Regular

Any good 50" plasma'a out there?

I am looking for an upgrade, I am looking for a 50" plasma and want to know what you guys think in terms of PQ and things like that. I am in love with my Hitachi 57" CRT as of now but the space is a little limited and want to upgrade to plasma so naturally I am looking at the Hitachi's again. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I appreciate it.

You might check out the thread 50"-55" Plasma TV ~$5K down the page apiece. In view of your preference, I'll add to the previous discussion that Hitachi's plasmas stand to be included with the best, if only because Panasonic and Hitachi have teamed up to produce them. I just don't have much direct knowledge of them

Ed

Forum Regular
    Are you aware of any models of them off hand???

I read your review in that other post. That is some good stuff. Thanks for the info. I was checking out the Panasonic model you mentioned, I just want to compare the Hitachi to it before making a decision yano.

Here's what I can tell you about the 55HDM71, which appears to predate this year's Panasonic collaboration. It is rich in connectivity, and includes a method to keep the clutter of wiring down. It has a blue push out of the box, but it has good RGB controls, black enhancement, and other color/brighness filters that apparently reward patience and effort, though it doesn't permit more than a single setting for them. The greyscale appears to be compromised along the spectrum in a way that affects smooth color rendition between dark and bright. From this information, I wouldn't be surprised if it had visible artifacts along the way, possibly a little more false contouring than the best plasmas. In its favor, it does have a couple of strategies to promote even burn, though some such techniques have to be used with caution, since they can accelerate loss of brightness across the entire panel over time.

I don't have any information offhand, but Hitachi seems due for a new plasma line, if it hasn't emerged behind my back. I'd wait for it if it hasn't come yet, though if you like the 55HDM71, I'll bet the price is right at this point and that it looks killer with hi def material. Many PQ flaws disappear on hi def microdisplays, since the panels don't have to elaborate them to fill the screen.

Ed

If you're looking for plasma's, you can't go wrong with either the Pioneer or the Hitachi. Whatever you do, I wouldn't reccommend buying a plasma from anyone but the 5 manufactuers of plasma - Hitachi, Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung and LG. Anyone else that has a plasma on the market must buy their panels from one of those five companies which will lead to a higher price t.v. because they are not making their own stuff.

Both the Pioneer and the Hitachi plasmas are top notch. Look into them.

Forum Regular

Hold off on the Plasmas

I was told that from my dealer prices by Christmas will drop on Plasma TVs approx 30 to 40 percent.

More manufacturer's plants coming online and saturation point to be reached.

Apparently if its not flat its dead.

Rear projection for 60 to 70 inch models will be the only sellers.

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    I was told that from my dealer prices by Christmas will drop on Plasma TVs approx 30 to 40 percent.

More manufacturer's plants coming online and saturation point to be reached.

Apparently if its not flat its dead.

Rear projection for 60 to 70 inch models will be the only sellers.

Andreas
    That might be a bit extreame. You'll see that prices will remain stable for a while. It is after Christmas that you will start to see the prices drop. With working in the industry, you see a very predictable price drops at certain times in the year. After Christmas, people start hearing rumours of the next year product, and then, the price will start to drop. Right now is the best time to buy anything that you had your eye on two months ago because it is at the lowest price that you will see. In one year from now, all of the sets that you have been eying up this fall will be in the same situation and news of the new stuff will be all the buzz. But you are right that rear-projo is going to die (probably later rather than sooner) - but it is on the way out.

Thread Information