Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MCF
    Forum Regular

Any bad experiences with Pana 50PX77U??

I get a discount through work and was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences or know of anything wrong with the Panasonic 50PX77U. I want to take advantage of price drops due to NOT getting 1080p. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    I get a discount through work and was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences or know of anything wrong with the Panasonic 50PX77U. I want to take advantage of price drops due to NOT getting 1080p. Thanks!
    When done right 1080p is splendid, but 720p and 1080i are fine, mine is 768 and is quite enjoyable.
    Plasma, LCD, DLP, all of the "new" formats have advantages and shortcomings, just be sure you can live with your set.
    Plasmas didnt have very good black level starting out, but they have improved greatly in this area, basically black level is lacking in all of the new formats but this will change.
    If you can get a decent price Go for it
    EDTV, DLP, and CRTS are the only thing I try to steer friends away from, too many disavantages
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

As for the panny brand are u kidding? These guys are legendary
    They are the toyota of the electronics world
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    As for the panny brand are u kidding? These guys are legendary
    They are the toyota of the electronics world
    LOL, love the enthusiasm.

Panasonic makes some decent stuff, and some junk. I wouldn't be so bold as to compare them to Toyota in terms of quality in the electronics world - but for mass market electronics they're probably as safe as anyone.

Forum Regular
    Some Panny plasma models are known for a "clay face" problem. Not sure if the model you list is one of them.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    But the above link is not working for some reason....

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    LOL, love the enthusiasm.

Panasonic makes some decent stuff, and some junk. I wouldn't be so bold as to compare them to Toyota in terms of quality in the electronics world - but for mass market electronics they're probably as safe as anyone.
    I have TWO technics by panny turntables , one direct drive, one belt, both work perfectly,
    only had to change the belt on one.
    MY BROTHER had a panny TV, lasted twenty years.
    I bought a panny DVD player for 600 bucks with DVD audio, after a year of being a demo
    it worked fine for three years, a buddy still uses it.
    I have had panny VCRS, dvd players, TVS, you name it, and have NEVER
    had any kind of failure whatsoever.
    I have had trouble with both sony and mitshubishi, however.
    IF panny isnt the toyota of electronics I dont know what is
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I have TWO technics by panny turntables , one direct drive, one belt, both work perfectly,
    only had to change the belt on one.
    MY BROTHER had a panny TV, lasted twenty years.
    I bought a panny DVD player for 600 bucks with DVD audio, after a year of being a demo
    it worked fine for three years, a buddy still uses it.
    I have had panny VCRS, dvd players, TVS, you name it, and have NEVER
    had any kind of failure whatsoever.
    I have had trouble with both sony and mitshubishi, however.
    IF panny isnt the toyota of electronics I dont know what is
    When it comes to home electronics, the difference between good and bad might surprise you.
    Sony had some absolutely brutal pieces of equipment around 1999/2000. Even their defect rates were reportedly in under 10%. That is, 90% of the units don't fail. It's much more to see numbers like 98%, and even 99.5% etc. As in fewer than 1 in 100 have problems. Sony gets their numbers up that high too - a lot of times Sony's bad reputation is simply because they sell so many units, the sheer volume of defects is higher absolutely but not necessarily on a percentage basis.

I don't know where Panasonic is for every model, but the fact you've had fewer than a dozen pieces of panasonic equipment without problems doesn't mean they're as good as it comes. You could buy random brand names and expect similar results.

If you bougth the crappy Sony stuff, you'd still have an extremely good chance of all those products working as well just by chance.

I know when it comes to audio equipment, Panasonic doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Yamaha and Denon (except for a brief few years of corporate restructuring which lead to some problems) in the more mainstream brands. Those companies don't make tv's to my knowledge. Most consumer reports I've seen suggest Hitachi would have a heads up on Panasonic in that area.

I've been lucky with Panny's myself - 2 DVD players, a 14 year old microwave, cordless phone, an 8 year old 32" Gao TV (and if you count the fact my 7 year old JVC had Matsu****a written all over it, it's Panny too), radios, car stereo decks, I have a Technics turntable that's built pretty sturdy too - know idea how old it is. The only bad Panny's I've had are a an old portable CD/walkman and my Technics a/v receiver that melted (literally). Can't win 'em all.

For a big company that focuses on value and entry-level products, they do pretty well. I just wouldn't consider them the Toyotas of home electronics. Maybe the Hyundai's.

You misunderstand me,as for as features and audiophile quality maybe panny isnt as high up there as some, I am talking about rock solid reliability, and I havent had a dozen or so products, more like several HUNDRED, everything from clock radios to vcrs to televisions, especially televisions, not just me but friends and family.
    AND panny eclipshes sony in sheer production, its sister company make stuff for a lot of the majors too, (thats matshuhita BTW)
    as a matter of fact the comparison between toyota and panny is a good one, I know people with toyotas that have 500,000 miles on them.
    But sony is my brand, nobody makes a display like they do, even tho a receiver I bought blew the power supply TWICE, and a yammy receiver blew a capacitor also.
    But I dont remember having anything ever from panny that broke.
    Ever
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

You misunderstand me,as for as features and audiophile quality
    Nope, heard you loud and clear. If you polled people here on Panasonic vs. Denon or Yamaha in terms reliability and quality, Panny would fall short by comparison. Not because they're bad, but because Denon and Yamaha are just better. I've never heard Pansonic touted as a leader reliability within the audio industry. Haven't heard their praises sung when talking about displays either. They're consistently good, don't get me wrong, just not the recognized leader (like Toyota).

If I had to pick an analogy to Toyota, it'd be Yamaha. While not perfect, they are known in as aruably the tend setter in terms of product reliability. That's their schtick. If you search old enough posts of mine back around 2003 or early 2004 you'll find threads where I talk about my visits to various hi-fi shops talking to the repair men asking them their thoughts. To a man, they all agreed Yamaha had some take it or leave it features, but nobody touched them for quality in the entry/mid level stuff. (Now, as you start going up the ladder and run into names like Bryston and PS Audio, things change, but that's not the scope of this discussion).

Our own dearly departed ar.com member Woodman was a technician for years and long touted the reliability of Yamaha. I trust the guys who work with these things everyday more than the anecdotal consumer review. They squeak out a few lemons too, but overall, they're the standard in the entry/mid-level audio area. They don't make TV's to my knowledge though.

Panasonic (parent company spelled M-a-t-s-u-s-h-i-t-a, btw - damn web sensor ) is probably among the largest, and I'd believe could be the quality leader for large, comprehensive home electronics manufuacturers, but the saying "jack-of-all trades, and master of none" sums them up well. Inside the audio, or display markets, they're definitely not #1.

Not that you have to be #1. As I said, sometimes the differences between the best and worst in the reliability category aren't as much as we'd expect.

You're comparing apples to oranges when you compare highend audio (or mid range audio) like denon and yammy to a major player like panasonic, who basically make a little of everything.
    My yamaha receiver broke, a bad capacitor in the digital board, and a cd player of theirs
    had bad tracking problems.
    Now I had a top of the line denon in the early eighties, 600$ , 75 wpc (two channels)
    and rosewood sidepanels, reeall great but at 1800 in todays dollars it should have been
    Everybody who dabbles in this stuff knows that panny has a rep for quality, and comparing them to a couple of audio companies with a limited range of products is really
    not accurate
    If you had any idea of just how much stuff you have that is basically panny you're eyes would pop
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Y
    Everybody who dabbles in this stuff knows that panny has a rep for quality, and comparing them to a couple of audio companies with a limited range of products is really
    not accurate
    If you had any idea of just how much stuff you have that is basically panny you're eyes would pop
    I do far more than "dabble" in this stuff, and I'm well aware of how large Matsu****a is. Please keep the attitude to a minimum.

Panasonic is comprehensive manufacturer, but they compete against Denon, Yamaha, Maytag, and Hitachi, with their products. Just because there's only a few other companies that deal in as many markets as Panny doesn't mean we can ignore the ones who choose to focus on smaller markets.
    I never disputed Panasonic's quality "for a big company", just the fact they're synonymous with Toyota. I'm not sure Panasonic sells a product where they'd be named #1 in quality. Can't think of any. Toyota does.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I do far more than "dabble" in this stuff, and I'm well aware of how large Matsu****a is. Please keep the attitude to a minimum.

Panasonic is comprehensive manufacturer, but they compete against Denon, Yamaha, Maytag, and Hitachi, with their products. Just because there's only a few other companies that deal in as many markets as Panny doesn't mean we can ignore the ones who choose to focus on smaller markets.
    I never disputed Panasonic's quality "for a big company", just the fact they're synonymous with Toyota. I'm not sure Panasonic sells a product where they'd be named #1 in quality. Can't think of any. Toyota does.
    Televisions and DVD players, panny makes pretty much indestructible ones.
    I am afraid you keep misunderstanding me, I think most toyota products are boring, plain
    utilitarian lumps, even their "sporty" stuff, but they are really bulletproof.
    Same for panny, when I want something that will last I buy panasonic
    I am only talking about longevity and durability, other aspects of a product are something else
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Televisions and DVD players, panny makes pretty much indestructible ones.
    I am afraid you keep misunderstanding me, I think most toyota products are boring, plain
    utilitarian lumps, even their "sporty" stuff, but they are really bulletproof.
    Same for panny, when I want something that will last I buy panasonic
    I am only talking about longevity and durability, other aspects of a product are something else
    Nope, and again, I understand you fine.

I just can't point to any one product market and say Panasonic is the reliability/quality/durability leader...they're not. I'm not considering the likes of Krell and other esoteric mega-dollar brands either. Just the mass market ones. Panny's good, but they're no Toyota.

Maybe we could call Panny the Mazda of electronics?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Maybe we could call Panny the Mazda of electronics?
    Mazdas better than toy yoda
    Penguin guy is spouting some dry facts and figures he googled up somewhere, I am talking about four decades of experience with panny and tecnics products, not just mine but friends and relatives
    So I guess we will just have to agre to disagree (if we can agree on that)
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Mazdas better than toy yoda
    Penguin guy is spouting some dry facts and figures he googled up somewhere, I am talking about four decades of experience with panny and tecnics products, not just mine but friends and relatives
    So I guess we will just have to agre to disagree (if we can agree on that)
    I've been reading "Penguin guy's" post for a few years now. I've never seen him post anything that he wasn't sure of.
    Mazda may make more of a fun set of cars, but Toyota makes the most dependable. (with Honda and Mazda not far behind)
    I have some Panny and Tech's products also. They all work great. They make dependable equipment without debate. But they are not the top (IE: Toyota of electronics). They are more of the Mazda of electronics. Very d'm dependable. Just not number one.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

This video seems to have a nice review for this model.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-a...-32317316.html

BTW,
    I knew this guy who also got a discount at work...until they caught him
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I've been reading "Penguin guy's" post for a few years now. I've never seen him post anything that he wasn't sure of.
    Mazda may make more of a fun set of cars, but Toyota makes the most dependable. (with Honda and Mazda not far behind)
    I have some Panny and Tech's products also. They all work great. They make dependable equipment without debate. But they are not the top (IE: Toyota of electronics). They are more of the Mazda of electronics. Very d'm dependable. Just not number one.
    Penguin guy? Feelin' the love now...

...and I havent had a dozen or so products, more like several HUNDRED, everything from clock radios to vcrs to televisions, especially televisions...
    Several HUNDRED? What do you do, eat 'em?

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

MCF
    Forum Regular

Thanks...

This video seems to have a nice review for this model.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-a...-32317316.html
    Glad someone actually provided input to the question....all these forums have one problem...people go off on a tangent and the original issue is totally forgotten.....I (nor does anyone else probably) care if panasonic is the mazda, toyota, BMW, Lexus, Chevy or whatever of the electronics world.....I just asked if one particular model had any significant issues....

Glad someone actually provided input to the question....all these forums have one problem...people go off on a tangent and the original issue is totally forgotten.....I (nor does anyone else probably) care if panasonic is the mazda, toyota, BMW, Lexus, Chevy or whatever of the electronics world.....I just asked if one particular model had any significant issues....
    Have you decided to get it?

MCF
    Forum Regular

Yep....ready for pickup.

Have you decided to get it?
    I could have ordered direct from Panasonic through my work for $1648 + tax but prefer to deal with a store front in case of problems. Went to Tweeter (which is where I have purchased my last two sets - Sony Wega 36" flat tube and 50" Pioneer Elite 1120HD) and they had the set MSRP for $2199 on sale for $1999...long story short, Tweeter came down to $1702 + tax + $39 for delivery (box just a tad too big for my Tahoe)....for $100 more, I get to take it back within 30 days no questions asked if there is a problem or anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information