• 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
    Defshep
    Another HD-Upconvert Question!
    Hey, guys/gals! Been away for a while, so it's nice to be back. Due to divorce, I'm having to start over again in home theater. I live in a small apartment, so I got a Sony HTIB for $170 (I know, but I missed my surround sound! Plus, I would be wasting money on any mega-watt system in this small space), and a Sanyo ht30746 30 inch tube-based hdtv from Walmart (hated to do it, but it was affordable!) for under $400. The tv has no upconversion per say, but it does have hdmi. Will I get a noticably better picture with an upconverting dvd player? The Sony player will match my ht, and CC has it advertised for $100. Whatcha think?
  • 05-28-2007, 02:50 AM
    pixelthis
    Your set is a bargain, basically the same as the phillips and samsung versions, only
    with fewer features, I had a samsung 30in "tau", it was pretty nice
    All sets "upconvert", usually 480i to 480p at least, a hd cable box will output 480p, 480i
    or "streach" to nisc.
    'UPconverting will give you no extra rezolution but your picture should look a little better anyway, EVERYTHING looks better through HDMI, its a big improvement over componet,
    so that alone will give you a better picture, but if you only have one hdmi you'll need a switcher, (I have one) so you can also watch your hi-def source also (cable or sat)
  • 05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
    musicman1999
    Your set is a crt so you should find that the component input will givw a better picture than hdmi.Crt's are analog sets,not digital.Upconversion is a mixed bag at best and is only of any benefit on certain digital sets of sufficient size(40 inch or bigger) not for crt.

bill
  • 05-29-2007, 12:09 AM
    pixelthis
    Use the componet and it will be converted to digital and back to analog, over the hdmi it will be digital converted to analog, you miss one stage with hdmi.
    AND I had a similar type set, and I did notice an improvement with Hdmi
    One of the big deals about hdmi was that you skip one level of conversion, as any tv has to either get a digital signal or convert an analog one to display an hdtv signal, crts
    arent nessesarily "analog", any signal will be converted to red-blue-green before display,
    no matter what the display is (you have been listening to too much dlp hype)
  • 05-29-2007, 02:34 AM
    Defshep
    Thanks for all the input! I took a chance and got a refurbished upconverting dvd player from the Sony website for $70, based on the good reviews. I'll let you guys know how it looks! Thanks again!