• 05-07-2008, 06:23 AM
    Hal
    Advice on a Partial Home Theatre Setup
    Hello. I live in a medium sized apartment in New York. I use my current stereo for music and for AM/FM radio. I recently replaced a 20 year old TV with an HD LCD. My CD/DVD player is an NAD T534. My speakers are Boston Acoustics VR950s. My receiver is 2 channel only, but still a wonderful 20 year old Yamaha. My short term goal is to add an A/V receiver and then, perhaps, add various 5.1 speakers over time as the budget allows.

1. What should I look for in an A/V receiver? I would think I'd need one that is at least 5.1 and that has HDMI input for the DVD and HDMI output to the TV? (The receiver would serve as the video processor, correct?) Would the receiver automatically recognize when a music cd is playing and adjust the speakers accordingly?

2. Most of my music is on iTunes and iPod. Do the iPod docks work well with A/V receivers?

3. What are these all in one surround sound speakers I read about such as Boston Acoustics TVee Model 2? Are they a workable solution?

4. Finally, for the AM/FM, is there a true indoor antenna that works for both AM and FM?

Thanks!
  • 05-07-2008, 06:28 AM
    Hal
    A follow-up. For example, would the Yamaha RX-V463 serve the purpose of connecting my DVD to the receiver and then the receiver to the TV both with HDMI? I would run then video from the DVD to the receiver and then to the TV. The audio would play through the receiver. But if it were a CD, the receiver would then play the music?

(Sorry if my questions are too basic for this board!)
  • 05-07-2008, 06:43 AM
    markw
    Some general ideas.
    first off, I cannot find any info on the NAD site about a T534 DVD player but, unless it's a blu-ray or HD-DVD player you don't need HDMI. HDMI is really only necessary when passing 1080p info, which both those hi-def formats require.

Second, you don't HAVE to feed your video through your receiver. You can feed it directly to your TV and use that for video switching. You can route your audio to your receiver and use that for audio switching. Unless you want to use your receiver for audio 24/7, then this option makes sense. IMNSHO, there's a lot of TV watching do that I don't need or want the full monty sound. News, most other TV, old sitcoms, etc...

As for Ipod docking compatability, dunno. See what others have to say. I use a Sansa fed by a $4.00 cable to the aux inputs.
  • 05-07-2008, 06:56 AM
    Hal
    Thanks, MarkW. The T534 is an older model. Information is under support and product manuals. It has an HDMI connection, but I guess that does not mean it's automatically HD?
  • 05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
    f0rge
    what's your price range for the receiver? is your TV 720p or 1080p? any interest in bluray?

i would take the safe bet and futureproof yourself as best as possible with HDMI, most new receivers have them anyway. if you're going to be getting a bluray player then look for the new HD audio formats, Dolby TrueHD and DTS:Master Audio, these can only be passed via HDMI.

do you have a wireless network? if so check this out for getting itunes music to your receiver:
    http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/.../airtunes.html
    i use one with a toslink (optical) cable and have good results.
  • 05-07-2008, 08:38 AM
    markw
    I was able to find something on that unit.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hal
    Thanks, MarkW. The T534 is an older model. Information is under support and product manuals. It has an HDMI connection, but I guess that does not mean it's automatically HD?

to wit : http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_T534.pdf

And, your last statement is correct. It's not a "hi def" DVD player but it does do upconversion to 1080i, which most likely requires HDMI. It does not read as if HDMI passes audio though. Figure another connectiuon for that.
  • 05-07-2008, 08:39 AM
    jjp735i
    This one is nice
    For 100 more you can get this one. It will connect everything and give you a little room to expand to 7.1

I have both my DVD and Direct tv ran to my Yamaha then only one line to the tv.

http://www.yamahashoponline.com/product.asp?sku=3790406
  • 05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
    Hal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jjp735i
    For 100 more you can get this one. It will connect everything and give you a little room to expand to 7.1

I have both my DVD and Direct tv ran to my Yamaha then only one line to the tv.

http://www.yamahashoponline.com/product.asp?sku=3790406

Thanks, jjp735i. This may be what I'm looking for: using the receiver as a central processor and cuting out wires as much as possible. NAD also offers an all-in-one A/V receiver with built-in CD/DVD player. Anyone have any experience with that particular item or something similar? (It is most likely beyond my budget unless I could find a refurbished model.)

I'd like to stay under $400 more or even better less, for the receiver. It looks like my DVD player is not HD so that adds another $150 or so I guess. I'm not really sure what the difference is between HD DVD and Blue-ray or which way to go. Most Blue-ray players seem to be pricey so that rules them out for now.

Any thoughts on the all in one surround speakers like I referenced about?

Many, many thanks.
  • 05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
    f0rge
    if you want to stay under $400 take a look at the onkyo 605:
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
    it can be had on ebay for ~$350 and has all the hookups you need including HDMI and it will decode the HD sound formats if you ever decide to pick up a bluray player.

those all in 1 speaker units are so-so, they are space savers, they will be serviceable for home theatre use, but will suck for music. like really suck.

as for the HD-DVD vs. Bluray question, dont go HD-DVD, there was just a format war and they lost.
  • 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
    Hal
    Also, the tv is a Sharp LC-32D44U, 720 not 1080. So far, for the most part, after only 3 days, it seems pretty good.
  • 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
    f0rge
    or even better the onkyo tx-sr606 just came out and the street price seems to be about the same as the 605
  • 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM
    Hal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by f0rge
    those all in 1 speaker units are so-so, they are space savers, they will be serviceable for home theatre use, but will suck for music. like really suck.

I would keep my BA VR950s for music and have the all in one just for home theatre. Or I could keep the BA's and just add a center speaker for now and two rear speakers in the future. Which would you do?

Thanks!!
  • 05-08-2008, 05:49 AM
    f0rge
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hal
    I would keep my BA VR950s for music and have the all in one just for home theatre. Or I could keep the BA's and just add a center speaker for now and two rear speakers in the future. Which would you do?

Thanks!!

i would definitely keep your current speakers and add a center, as would probably everyone else on this site.
  • 05-08-2008, 06:40 AM
    Hal
    Thanks, everyone.