Thread: THX Optimizer

Official User

THX Optimizer

I know it is not an AVIA disc but... Does anyone have an opinion on the THX optimizer diagnostics that come on a lot of the Disney studio movies (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean, Hidalgo, etc).

I have played with it a little just to see what happens. On my Panasonic Tau, I have to turn the brightness all the way up to look "correct" according to their test. My other choice is to turn on the Black Level control on my Denon 910. I don't really like to use the black level because it tens to wash-out the picture even with the Brightness turned down to compensate.

Please advise. Thanks.

I would stick to AVIA or DVE if I were you. The THX optimizer functions may vary according to how the disk as a whole was mastered. The dedicated test disks maintain their standards.

Ed

The THX Optimizer tests are useless because they vary from title to title, at least on the audio side. If the video is just as inconsistent, then I would steer clear of those tests unless you like the idea of changing your settings every time you change to a different DVD.

As edtyct said, the Avia and DVE discs are calibrated to industry standards, so you pretty much set it, tweak it, and leave it. If you've never used a calibration disc before, I would also recommend the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD because it's simpler to use (and actually might be all you need if you're using a standard analog TV), produced by the same company that makes the Avia disc, and costs less than the others (I've seen it at Borders for $15).

Official User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    The THX Optimizer tests are useless because they vary from title to title, at least on the audio side. If the video is just as inconsistent, then I would steer clear of those tests unless you like the idea of changing your settings every time you change to a different DVD.

As edtyct said, the Avia and DVE discs are calibrated to industry standards, so you pretty much set it, tweak it, and leave it. If you've never used a calibration disc before, I would also recommend the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD because it's simpler to use (and actually might be all you need if you're using a standard analog TV), produced by the same company that makes the Avia disc, and costs less than the others (I've seen it at Borders for $15).
    Thanks I will check out the Sound and Vision disc. I am a little wary of the service menus. I have seen too many people make matters worse with these options.

The commercially available test disks won't bring you into the various service menus; in fact, the manufacturers wouldn't allow them to do so. Technically, anyone who leaks the entry codes to a service menu is obligated to kill, under penalty of death. But the test disks will bring your TV to the brink of where an authorized ISF technician would have to take over. For novices and experienced users alike, they are a godsend.

Ed

Thread Information