Onkyo PCM display

I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 hooked up to a Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray & Hitachi P505602 plasma. All through HDMI.

My question is: regardless of the audio format of the disc the Onkyo always indicates PCM HDMI, is this correct?

Thanks

Suspended
    It's correct if you want the Sony to do the decoding. Typically, these days that's not preferred because most players lack in surround adjustments. I suggest changing the Sony to bitstream and letting the Onkyo decode the signal to allow for better surround set up. You should see the Onkyo say something like DTS-MA or Tru-HD. You'll have to check the Sony manual and go inside the set up menu to pick "bitstream".

Thanks, I had to set the BD player to "direct" for bitstream

Suspended
    Did you notice much difference? If you haven't yet you should also go into the 608's set up menu and do the speaker set up. If you are a novice the "auto speaker set up" may be the best way to go. Getting your levels and delays set will help the sound a lot.

Welcome to AR.

Yes I did notice a difference. I did the auto speaker set up when I first got the receiver. I spent a few hours last night (my wife is out of town) listening to different sources and setting the default listening modes for various input types.

I ended up using THX cinema for BD/DVD and neo 6 THX music for the satellite connection. My main listening is either DVD/BD movies or Sirius through the Dish Network satellite receiver.

Thanks for your input, any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Suspended
    Sounds like you are set. Do you have HD programming from Dishnet? Check HD Net, 9422, for weekend concerts.

No we don't have HD programming, not really sure it would be worth it.

Suspended
    Yes, it's worth it. You are not seeing HD on your TV unless you have the HD programming. It's like having a Blu-ray player and only playing DVD. If you haven't had any recent specials you may be able to get the HD programming for free if you sign up for auto pay, let them debit a credit card or directly from your bank account. If you have any premium movie channels or do PPV it's nice, not to mention sports or Discovery type programming. The thing is to get true high def picture quality.

Just called Dish and got a free upgrade to HD and no increase in the monthly fee. Had to sign up for auto pay and a 24 month contract. I have had Dish since 2001 so another 24 months is no big deal.

Suspended
    Could you tell much difference? Some receivers have a feature where when you go to the channel it automatically shows the HD feed if subscribed but if yours doesn't the HD channels are like 9419-9490's. You have to check the Pay-Per-View on the menu, only certain ones are HD. Enjoy.

I can tell quite a bit of difference, really nice.

Now I just have to figure out whats next

Suspended
    Seems like you have a nice set up. What speakers are you using?

Sony SS-MS5 , not great but adequate, I hope to upgrade them sometime.

Thread Information