Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    hello??.....you guys all better now with the cable stuff?....Forget about me?....Still need a receiver......by the way, I have 4 HDMI cable I got from Monoprice, paid I think $12 for 3 of em.I have absolutely NO issues with them. In fact when I hit display on my tv, it shows 1080i or 1080p. In fact, there is a video somewhere here from a news studio that tested a hdmi cable for $140.00, and one for $12 . Took it to their studio, and their engineer put them into 3 tests, and they both performed exactly the same.
    Ok, back to business:
    Toying with the HK354, but hear a lot of things wrong, specially when hdmi'd to PS3. So, that has a big ?....nest the Pio 1018, but am disappointed that the ipod usb won't hook up an iphone....so, any thoughts?. And the ps3 might go in another room in the future and I might get a stand-alone blu-ray player, but ps3 for now....any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn1028
    hello??.....you guys all better now with the cable stuff?....Forget about me?....Still need a receiver......by the way, I have 4 HDMI cable I got from Monoprice, paid I think $12 for 3 of em.I have absolutely NO issues with them. In fact when I hit display on my tv, it shows 1080i or 1080p. In fact, there is a video somewhere here from a news studio that tested a hdmi cable for $140.00, and one for $12 . Took it to their studio, and their engineer put them into 3 tests, and they both performed exactly the same.
    Ok, back to business:
    Toying with the HK354, but hear a lot of things wrong, specially when hdmi'd to PS3. So, that has a big ?....nest the Pio 1018, but am disappointed that the ipod usb won't hook up an iphone....so, any thoughts?. And the ps3 might go in another room in the future and I might get a stand-alone blu-ray player, but ps3 for now....any thoughts?
    Check out Onkyo's line. I just recently got the TX-SR606 replacing a Yamaha RX-V1400. There is a vast improvement in sound. I checked out some reviews on hometheatermag.com and found that my Yamaha didn't come even close to the 110w it was rated per channel. The 2400 would only get about 40w when tested and that is rated for more power than my 1400. The Onkyo was very close to the rated power. I doubled the amount of power to my speakers, that might have something to do with my improvement of sound.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

Forum Regular
    I just got an email from Harman Kardon web spec., and he says they are aware of the prob with the hk's and ps3s. A fix is in the works, but he explained it to be nothing more than a 1/2 second delay at the beginning of the menu on the ps3. Then the pioneer has a usb port that a flash drive or ipod can be attached to. Even an external magnetic hard drive, now that could be interesting.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    I am one of the few here that agrees with the info you read about the HDMI cables. Stay with what you bought and put your money into the receiver.

I agree on the Onkyo line. IMO they have the best all around performance for the money in your price range, you said up to $1000. Look at the 806 for $799 or if you can afford $1399 go with the 876 for better video processing if you would use it with the Silicon Optix's Reon chip. They both have an excellent performing amp for midpriced receivers. I don't care for the current HK line. I don't know about the PS3 problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...kyo-_-82120109 ($799)

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...=12-68400147-2 ($1399)

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/608recfeat/

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/808onk/ (for those on a $379 budget at Vann's))

RR6

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I am one of the few here that agrees with the info you read about the HDMI cables. Stay with what you bought and put your money into the receiver.

I agree on the Onkyo line. IMO they have the best all around performance for the money in your price range, you said up to $1000. Look at the 806 for $799 or if you can afford $1399 go with the 876 for better video processing if you would use it with the Silicon Optix's Reon chip. They both have an excellent performing amp for midpriced receivers. I don't care for the current HK line. I don't know about the PS3 problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...kyo-_-82120109 ($799)

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...=12-68400147-2 ($1399)

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/608recfeat/

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/808onk/ (for those on a $379 budget at Vann's))

RR6
    I have read Onkyo's have clear crisp sound...one of the best. Funny, you read HK owners have issues they return em for Pio's, Pio people have issues they return em for a yamaha, who have issues and return them for an onkyo...lol...One guy gave me great advice...."Go with what looks good on your shelf"

Forum Regular
    Nice article with plenty of tests to review.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...ment-procedure

So, that has a big ?....nest the Pio 1018, but am disappointed that the ipod usb won't hook up an iphone....so, any thoughts?. And the ps3 might go in another room in the future and I might get a stand-alone blu-ray player, but ps3 for now....any thoughts?

Not sure what you mean by this BKLYN1028, but I am intrigued by the new Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K in that it is class D ICE power 130 watts x 7.1. I've seen it for 440.00 on the internet. Try butterflyphoto.com. Seems to me to be the best power grab for price available right now. We have a lot of Onkyo lovers on here and I support their opinions that Onkyo is great for giving real rated power for all channels driven solid performance. Another thing that intrigues me about the new 1018 is that it should in theory run a lot cooler than its A/B class competition. I'm going to be looking for cooler running equipment in the future. My 46" HD LCD, Pio 92TXH, PS3 triple heat threat gets my listening/viewing room quite warm during a thorough evening of use. BTW I have 12' Belkin HDMI 1.3A(25.00 @ Sam's) connected to my TV and I bought the Digital Video Basics BD to calibrate my Sony KDL-W3000 and the video is so sharp I didn't change anything. I fail to see thus far what a premium cable would do for my HDTV.

Suspended
    I didn't realize the new Pioneers were that low in price. I have heard they are putting out a pretty good product these days.

You fail to see what a premium HDMI cable can do because you have never tried one. People fail to see what better amps or CD players might do as well until they hear a better one. It may very well be that a premium cable don't do anything for you but you can't say or put it down until you've tried it. I'm not the only one on the board who has come to realize there is improvement to be had by a better HDMI cable. I might also add that I used a Belkin HDMI for nearly a year and thought it did just fine. It wasn't until switching to the Marantz processor and not having the same results as most owners that I became frustrated with my purchase and begun experimenting to see why the AV8003 wasn't performing for me. The HDMI upgrade made all the difference. I can't explain why it did, but it absolutely did. The audio was more noticeable than the video but I do believe there was improvement there as well. It made certain things in sceens become more apparent to me and added more of a depth to the picture.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jabroneez
    Nice article with plenty of tests to review.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...ment-procedure

Great test, read it before but a good thing to refresh on every once in awhile.
    So HDMI cables arent the same, but the differences are minor.
    And the 9.95 $ monoprice (the brand I have) passed everything
    So MR P, maybe there was a slight diff in your cables, or the first could have been defective, that is always a possibility
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by captjamo
    So, that has a big ?....nest the Pio 1018, but am disappointed that the ipod usb won't hook up an iphone....so, any thoughts?. And the ps3 might go in another room in the future and I might get a stand-alone blu-ray player, but ps3 for now....any thoughts?

Not sure what you mean by this BKLYN1028, but I am intrigued by the new Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K in that it is class D ICE power 130 watts x 7.1. I've seen it for 440.00 on the internet. Try butterflyphoto.com. Seems to me to be the best power grab for price available right now. We have a lot of Onkyo lovers on here and I support their opinions that Onkyo is great for giving real rated power for all channels driven solid performance. Another thing that intrigues me about the new 1018 is that it should in theory run a lot cooler than its A/B class competition. I'm going to be looking for cooler running equipment in the future. My 46" HD LCD, Pio 92TXH, PS3 triple heat threat gets my listening/viewing room quite warm during a thorough evening of use. BTW I have 12' Belkin HDMI 1.3A(25.00 @ Sam's) connected to my TV and I bought the Digital Video Basics BD to calibrate my Sony KDL-W3000 and the video is so sharp I didn't change anything. I fail to see thus far what a premium cable would do for my HDTV.
    What i meant was....with the HK having ps3 probs, that gives it a ?....nest should typed "next" meaning next in line is the pio 1018, but i can live without my iphone hooking up to it....however...I am now toying with...getting just a stand alone bluray player...because my pio has multi channel inputs...I just have to figure out if i can get the dts hd ma, or dolby true hd thru that....that might be the way to go....and give my grandson back his ps3....(not that he uses it much)..

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I didn't realize the new Pioneers were that low in price. I have heard they are putting out a pretty good product these days.

You fail to see what a premium HDMI cable can do because you have never tried one. People fail to see what better amps or CD players might do as well until they hear a better one. It may very well be that a premium cable don't do anything for you but you can't say or put it down until you've tried it. I'm not the only one on the board who has come to realize there is improvement to be had by a better HDMI cable. I might also add that I used a Belkin HDMI for nearly a year and thought it did just fine. It wasn't until switching to the Marantz processor and not having the same results as most owners that I became frustrated with my purchase and begun experimenting to see why the AV8003 wasn't performing for me. The HDMI upgrade made all the difference. I can't explain why it did, but it absolutely did. The audio was more noticeable than the video but I do believe there was improvement there as well. It made certain things in sceens become more apparent to me and added more of a depth to the picture.
    This is absolutely not intended to stir anyone's pot...but this is from Popular Mechanics Jan 08 issue...
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...e/4235717.html
    and to quote them:
    The Results
    None of our editors could tell the difference. The fact is, HDMI is digital, meaning you either get the feed or you don’t. High prices and gimmicks like gold-plating don’t affect 1s and 0s. Our advice: Purchase your wiring online for cheap, and use the saved money to upgrade to a larger flat screen.

And, I only am doing this because:....the signal is the signal...you either get it, or not, an expensive hdmi or optical, or analog, or rca..etc..etc..etc...doesn't "improve the signal"

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn1028
    What i meant was....with the HK having ps3 probs, that gives it a ?....nest should typed "next" meaning next in line is the pio 1018, but i can live without my iphone hooking up to it....however...I am now toying with...getting just a stand alone bluray player...because my pio has multi channel inputs...I just have to figure out if i can get the dts hd ma, or dolby true hd thru that....that might be the way to go....and give my grandson back his ps3....(not that he uses it much)..
    You just need a player with full HD audio decoding, 5.1/7.1 analog out and does a nice job with bass management. Things are starting to come around and most of the newer players are starting to offer this.

Personally I'd stick with the PS3

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    You just need a player with full HD audio decoding, 5.1/7.1 analog out and does a nice job with bass management. Things are starting to come around and most of the newer players are starting to offer this.

Personally I'd stick with the PS3
    I know...I know....but the kid when he wants to play ONE game on it. (resistance fall of man) The only game he plays, he unconnects it from the living room, and puts it in the den.....why i'm thinkin of a stand alone......I might move out, and get an atari....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

I for one appreciate your comments bklyn1028. You must feel like it is you against the whole forum which I don't believe (though it is fun occasionally) should ever really be the case. The dissemination of HT knowledge gained from experience albeit scientific or subjective (subjective in that the science behind the noticeable change is just not revealing itself readily ). Something changed for you and it was good to hear that. Hell, I want to go to my place of purchase and ask to try a premium cable test (particularly on the improved audio score). Like you have said, "what do we have to lose". The thought that my speakers or my screen which I paid a good penny for would be held back in performance by the quality of the signal; I find particularly irksome. Could I get an Amen on that one? I want to know anything at all about your system suddenly sounding better dude
    I do think it is easier to reason why amps and CD players can sound different with a universe of different power source types, board and chip topographies, standards of DAC, and premium electronic parts though.

Suspended
    1's and 0's may be 1's and 0's but they have to be maintained as they travel from one place to another. Even though the AVS article don't totally disagree with Popular Mechanics they do explain the HDMI is different from optical or coaxial digital. Optical is the most vonerable as bends can distort your 1's and 0's. It should also be noted that HDMI is digital but it's false that it is either there or not, another fact pointed out in the AVS article.

It's also interesting that even though the HDMI cables that pass, show a different image on the test equipment. Whose to say this difference can't equate to picture quality difference or audio difference.

From reading the info on HDMI and considering the technology built into it like the timing signal and such I don't know if I'd believe me either. But on the off chance I was right, I'd want to try it, especially if I spend several hundred or thousands on a display and HT audio.

Riddle me this, how can some one buy a HDMI cable for $10.00 that is supposed to be as good as anything but I can't find a USB cable that cheap?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information