AR Newbie Registered Member

Soldering Cable onto Subwoofer Jack

hi, does anyone know how to solder a cable onto the back of an RCA Subwoofer Socket and which cable to use?
    Thanks
    Richard.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Use any Audio or video cable you can find - they'll all work, but will have different colors. Select your preference for shielding, cost etc.

Why on earth would you want to solder the sub cable to the socket?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    If you're going to solder, I'd go one step farther -- bypass the RCA.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

AR Newbie Registered Member
    No, let me make the picture clearer.

I have a 5.1 plate with a Subwoofer RCA Connector on it which needs to be soldered to a cable running to a speaker outlet jack further down the wall.
    The back of the RCA connector has two places to connect a wire, i'm guessing that it required single core shielded cable because there is a single punched connector on the screw binding with a hollow metal tube prodruding horizontally outwards from the back of the connector. I really want to know how to solder the core of the cable into the hollow tube as there doesnt seem to be any obvious method.
    Thanks
    Richard.

Forum Regular
    why are you soldering it? seems to me you should use the rca cable like it was designed. if you do want to solder it, open it up and solder it to the connector inside, that way you dont ruin the rca jack. there is no obvious method because its not what the jack is designed for! if you are talking about the back, then there should be a tab or a small hole to feed the wire through to solder it. the positive should be center and the ground should be the outter "tube".
    Rosza Center for the Perfroming Arts
    Amature radio: KD8DYO
    Michigan Tech. University:
    Mechanical Engineering/Technical Theater

A picture might be helpful so we are able to better understand what you are talking about and then give adequate advice based on that. As I read your description it's unclear to me precisely what you are referring to. Are you able to snap a picture of the back and post it here for us to see? Right now I feel like we are trying to operate on a patient without doing x-rays first.

Maybe I just don't get it, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Stan
    I have a 5.1 plate with a Subwoofer RCA Connector on it which needs to be soldered to a cable running to a speaker outlet jack further down the wall.
    ...It seems to me that it would be easier (and much safer and more logical) to simply put an RCA plug on the end of the cable ...and then just plug it into the RCA jack!

Mutant from table 9
    Wow, two explanations, but not any clearer. But, I think I get it. Unfortunately, original poster is unable to communicate his needs. I suspect he has bitten off more than he can chew. He is talking about wiring the walls of his room for 5.1.

He is talking about connecting one of these...
    http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/wp20tespse.html

to one of these...
    http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/sispbipo.html

It is not clear whether he has figured line level from speaker level yet, hence the perceived need to solder. He is attempting to connect a line level input on the 5.1 plate to the speaker level output plate.

Also unfortunately, I have no advice for him. I wired the walls of my HT prior to drywall. If you are using solder, you're probably doing something wrong.

I would have to agree with terminating both ends so that a simple RCA connector can work and go that route. The difference between this and soldering couldn't be that noticeable in this case.

Thread Information