6.1 vs 7.1

Printable View

• 02-11-2006, 06:15 AM
    goldenmember
    6.1 vs 7.1
    Hi, just working on my basement home theater construction now and was wondering if 7.1 is worthwhile. Currently running 6.1 with Rotel 1067 receiver, I have the power and the processing but not so sure I want to hang another speaker on the wall. Enough is enough..Or is it?
  • 02-11-2006, 06:30 AM
    shokhead
    What will you listen to in 7.1?
  • 02-11-2006, 06:50 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenmember
    Hi, just working on my basement home theater construction now and was wondering if 7.1 is worthwhile. Currently running 6.1 with Rotel 1067 receiver, I have the power and the processing but not so sure I want to hang another speaker on the wall. Enough is enough..Or is it?

11 is louder then 10 now isn't it.......

There I got my daily Spinal Tap reference in and can start the day refreshed........

IMO if you can set up all the speakers properly, your other equipment can handle it and you have the money to do so then why not?

I would only add that I don't think there is enough material out there that makes going from 6.1 to 7.1 a must at this point but down the road who knows.

" Enough is enough"... that is up to you. For some reason I can see the industry trying to split everything up to the point where we get into our "HT chamber" and are completed surrounded by speakers. :)
  • 02-11-2006, 07:03 AM
    shokhead
    Yep. I can see 8.1 for sure.
  • 02-11-2006, 07:10 AM
    GMichael
    I say, let's move on to 10.5.

Center
    right front
    far right front
    left front
    far left front
    surround left
    surround right
    rear left
    rear right
    center of room above
    center of room sub below
    front right sub
    front left sub
    rear left sub
    rear right sub
  • 02-11-2006, 07:28 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    I say, let's move on to 10.5.

Center
    right front
    far right front
    left front
    far left front
    surround left
    surround right
    rear left
    rear right
    center of room above
    center of room sub below
    front right sub
    front left sub
    rear left sub
    rear right sub

Actually G...
    A manufacturer had invented a 10.5 system several years ago
    There were problems with the "Congressional Series" because the far left and far right could not agree on what channels to play so the whole system just shut down.
  • 02-11-2006, 07:32 AM
    kexodusc
    The fact the formats don't support discrete 7.1 isn't really the issue...7.1 came because it was a better way of making 6.1 work...there's benefit to having 2 speakers produce the rear channel.
  • 02-11-2006, 07:57 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    Actually G...
    A manufacturer had invented a 10.5 system several years ago
    There were problems with the "Congressional Series" because the far left and far right could not agree on what channels to play so the whole system just shut down.

They'll work it out. And then we'll have front right top, front right bottom, far front right top, far front right bottom... etc. We'll have 30 speakers around the room plus 9 subs. Our recievers & amps will take up a whole wall. And don't forget the shakers in the sofa & chairs. Who will ever leave the house?
  • 02-11-2006, 08:38 AM
    krolfes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenmember

My vote is enough is enough. A well set up 5.1 can preforme better than a poorly set up 7.1 system. Use you 6.1 set it up well and maybe wait for a bigger jump than just 7.1. But I would wire up for 7.1 if you have walls open just in case...
  • 02-11-2006, 08:38 AM
    goldenmember
    Thanks for the replies, serious and not so serious..
    I'll wire it up for the future and wait to see what it brings.