Scrubble McBubble

Help, I feel retarded!

So basically I've had this hand me down Sony reciever and two bookshelf speakers for 5 years now (believe it or not, they were purchased in 1982, I think it is the first year the CD was made, LOL), but the speakers finally blew and I'm looking for an upgrade to go with the 42" LCD LG HDTV I just bought. I listen to lots of music, I mean lots, everything from Metal to Rock to Rap. I also watch alot of sports and play a lot of XBOX 360 (when the lady lets me!).

My question depends on whether or not the receiver is still serviceable as you can imagine, but for discussion's sake, let's assume it still works good enough that I can upgrade that later.

I am looking to buy either two good floor speakers, which I imagine would mean that I do not need to purchase an additional subwoofer right away, or two good bookshelf speakers, which means I would have to buy a subwoofer.

My budget for these speakers is in the $300-$400 range right now, which I imagine could get me something serviceable. Any suggestions? I found a pair of Premier Acoustic PA-6F floor speakers for $300. Those any good?

Appreciate the help guys!

Scrubble McBubble

more info

Just in case it helps you guys, here is what I have right now that works:

Sony FH-7 MKIII Compact Hi-Density Component System with:
    Power Supply Unit - Sony AC-78III (AC: 120/220/240 v~ 50/60 Hz - 65 w)
    Stereo Cassette Deck - Sony TC-78III
    Integrated Stereo Amplifier - Sony TA-78III
    Stereo FM/AM Tuner - Sony ST-78III
    CD Player - Sony D-50 Discman

the whole deck works as far as I know, the speakers are shot though.. they were:

Sony APM-078III 3-way bookshelf speakers

Thanks again.

Since I like this brand alot:

you should definately check out Monitor audio, their Bronze line will definately fit in your budget. Something like a BR2 or so, they're not floorstanders, but in your budget, it's definately better to look at bookshelf speakers...

also check out Wharfedale (their Diamond 9.1 series)
    and B&W the new 600 series will give you some good ideas too...
    and paradigm, dunno their series out of my head, but take a look at them too

I do recommend you to upgrade your other components too in the future, a better integrated will do wonders to drive the speakers, and a better cd player should definately be on your list too, something like a Marantz CD-5001 or so, extremely good player for the budget. but get a better integrated first.

For the sub, if you go with a good bookshelf, you needn't worry about a sub really soon...
    just don't listen too loud (I really mean too loud...). I also say this because that you couldn't possibly get a sub and a pair of speakers within the $300 range... I you really want a sub later on, I would recommend DIY kits like the ones from Partsexpress, a dayton kit or so...

Good luck,
    & happy listening,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Scrubble McBubble

so..

so say I was to purchase a good set of bookshelf speakers for lisetning to music, tv and gaming, and upgrade my CD player. I would have to keep the receiver at this time due to money, but if I was to say have $500 to spend, what would you recommend for overall value and sound quality, so that when I do upgrade my system spekaers won't be a big deal unless I move into a bigger house? Thanks.

Yes, I agree with Basite. Excellent advice. Definitely build slowly and you could save by picking up some used gear from sites like audigon or ebay.
    Last edited by L.J.; 10-16-2007 at 10:11 AM.

I'd say that at this moment, your speakers are priority, since the previous ones are blown.

Then (later on) start saving for a integrated or a receiver. Since I assume you won't have a huge budget for an integrated or a receiver (say $300-400, like with your speakers), you could get a denon receiver in this price range (say, a DRA-37, DRA-297 or maybe a DRA-397). Maybe you could even get a Rotel integrated (an RA-04) but you won't have a remote with the rotel. anyhow, both the denon as the Rotel will be a huge step up from the sony you have.

As long as the discman works, you should keep it until you have enough money (say $250) or so and buy a cd player. for $250, options for a cd player are pretty much limited, but you could get a Marantz CD-5001 then, and you shouldn't worry later on, since it won't be an upgrade until you get a rega or so (which cost, too much...)

Happy hunting
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Scrubble McBubble

BR2's

So thanks for the help all, been great.

It seems that the Monitor Audio BR2s will suite all the needs I have right now, thing is, I can't find them anywhere except in the UK, and damn if the dollar isn't doing horrible and shipping will be costly.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, what does bi-wired mean?

Suspended
    Try DMC Electronics in Garden Grove, CA. They are a major seller of MA speakers and I know that they do a lot of UPS shipping. David, the owner, is very helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to home audio. I bought my MA B2's from him and have never regretted it. Plus, he will discount for cash.

Suspended
    For a receiver you might also look at the Onkyo 605. If the Monitor Audio don't work out, I second the Paradigm.

Scrubble McBubble

stand

The room I will be putting them in is carpeted. Should I buy stands for the bookshelf speakers if they won't fit on the TV stand unit? Or should I even put them on the TV stand unit at all? What is the best set up? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by faigenistic
    So thanks for the help all, been great.

It seems that the Monitor Audio BR2s will suite all the needs I have right now, thing is, I can't find them anywhere except in the UK, and damn if the dollar isn't doing horrible and shipping will be costly.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, what does bi-wired mean?

well, I don't know exactly where you are, but their USA site has a dealer locator function, so you can select your country (USA or Canada) and the state you live in, it will then give you the retailers who sell in that state

Bi-wiring means that it has seperate binding posts for the highs and the lows, for better separation of them and less disortion. don't worry, you won't need special cables or so, the binding posts have a jumper plate so they are connected to eachother anyways just connect the speaker wire to the 'high' input...

for stands: it definately will make an improvement if you place them on good stands, but good stands cost money...
    however, (don't worry), building your own stands will give you really good results too, I know, because I've built my own

Feel free to ask more questions

Good luck,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Scrubble McBubble
    back to the stands, any recommendation for a good stand for the BR2s? If the TV is currently in the corner, will it affect the sound of the speakers if I place them on the sides of the TV, or should I move them elsewhere? Thanks again.

speaker placement is always different, however, I do not recommend placing speakers in corners or really close to a back or side wall. So experiment with room placements.

as I said before, Speakerstands are easy to build, if you don't want to build them yourself, you could always try one of these: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=515

the bigger, steel ones should do well

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Scrubble McBubble
    Basite,

I presume you mean this stand, or was it another one?
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=240-806

Also, the room looks something like this

| \ |
    | tv \ |
    | \ |
    | |
    |_____couch_____________________|

The couch is a wrap-around couch and extends around the wall on the left as well. The TV is on a stand about 2' from the corner at a 45 degree angle. Right now I have 4 electric guitars hanging on the wall to the left of the TV, so a stand might be hard to get there. Any suggestions? The room is approximately 18' deep from TV to the wall the couch is on.

Thanks again.

Scrubble McBubble
    wow, that drawing did not work, LOL

Scrubble McBubble
    | .................................................. \ ..|
    | ...............................................tv .\ .|
    | .................................................. ..\ |
    | .................................................. ....|
    |_____couch______________________|

Try that

Scrubble McBubble
    i could probably take a picture and post it tomorrow if that would help, it is kind of a tight fit right now with my guitars and CDs racks everywhere.

Thread Information