AR Newbie Registered Member

A 5 year-old receiver. Worth it??

Hello All,

Getting into the game because now I can afford it!

Found a 5 year old Integra DTR 7.4channel for $200. Not trying to get a forum to build my set for me, but looking for a couple recommends:

Is buying a 5 year old system worth it? Yeah there's great retro gear out there but I'm not interested in hearing flat MP3s. Maybe using a coax or opt will take care of this problem?

Anyone have thoughts on the Integra DTR? Currently looking for mid-ranges and a good idea for a remote.
    I think the I'm getting one was made before Onkyo bought them out. http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...s=Receiver&p=i

Also a chickpea is neither a chick, nor a pea. Discuss.

Suspended
    Integra has been Onkyo's higher line product as long as I can remember, not sure if it's always been that way or which came first. Any way to your question, I'm not sure what Bluebook on that unit would be. To buy an older receiver really depends on what you will be doing, if only interested in 2-channel music I'd skip any kind of home theater receiver, if you have Blu-ray I would buy new to get current technology, if you have only DVD and plan to stick with it for a while or no interest in Blu at this time then maybe save some coin and buy an older receiver. Integra is a quality product.

Welcome to AR

Your decision really depends on what you want out of the receiver. Do you want mainly sound quality? Then an older 'higher end' receiver is a good choice. Just make sure it has pre-outs and multichannel-ins.

If you just want something to power a surround system for tv and blu-ray, then spend the $200 on a new 'lower end' receiver. This unit will have HDMI switching making life easier for you.

I believe $200 for a 5 year old receiver is high. As a reference, i purchased a 5 year old HK receiver (AVR 525) for $99 on ebay. In it's day, the unit retailed for $1200. Great receiver!

If it has analog inputs like my yamaha does it will work for blue ray just fine if you have a blue ray player with onboard processing like my Oppo does. But that is the only way that this receiver will be able to utilize the latest home theater formats. If this unit does not have these and home theater is an interest now or in the future then I would skip this unit and look for something newer. If 2 channel is your only concern Mr. peabody is right that seperates or an integrated amplifier is the best way to go for sound quality and a receiver would only be the way to go if budget was an issue and the unit has better than average performance record.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I forgot to say that the analog inputs on this receiver would have to be set for 6 or 7 channel direct input for a processor to input into the receiver.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey Nathan...

Is buying a 5 year old system worth it?

As has been said, that's gonna depend on what exactly your criteria for success is.

I looked at the link you provided and the unit in question has some advantages and disadvantages.

On the plus side, the amp section is plenty strong and Onkyo/Integra are known for running hi-current which should give you greater leeway on speaker selection. To further that thought, there is a full compliment of input/preouts which would give you the option of expanding with external amplification if desired or necessary. Also, the DAC processessing looks to be of quality meaning unless you put garbage in you shouldn't need to worry about getting garbage out.

On the other hand, there is no HDMI passthrough, only component video and multiple audio inputs. This will come into play in two areas: 1) you'll have to route hi-def sources seperately to your monitor to get full resolution, and 2) you might have handshake problems between (audio) sources with hi-def codecs and the receiver.

$200 is a tough pricepoint and there's going to be compromises in virtually any scenario you envision. I would spend some time thinking about the longterm goals of a system before proceeding.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nathanisgreen
    Hello All,

Getting into the game because now I can afford it!

Found a 5 year old Integra DTR 7.4channel for $200. Not trying to get a forum to build my set for me, but looking for a couple recommends:

Is buying a 5 year old system worth it? Yeah there's great retro gear out there but I'm not interested in hearing flat MP3s. Maybe using a coax or opt will take care of this problem?

Anyone have thoughts on the Integra DTR? Currently looking for mid-ranges and a good idea for a remote.
    I think the I'm getting one was made before Onkyo bought them out. http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...s=Receiver&p=i

Also a chickpea is neither a chick, nor a pea. Discuss.
    CURIOUS as to where you spotted this one, because its exactly the same model I GAVE MY BROTHER. Wonder if hes' trying to make a few bucks.
    Mine cost 1200 bucks around five years ago, and is audiophile grade, with a phono stage,
    unbelievable amps for this price point, and great versatility .
    The video section is obsolete, only has component, as is the digital board, only has DD and DTS.
    The good news, with 192khz dacs and the great amps, its a great audio system
    receiver.
    If you can find a BLU player that has analog 7.1 out, and can live without video switching,
    you can use it for Home theater. IF YOU CAN FIND a suitable BLURAY player.
    And Onkyo didn't "buy out" Integra, unless I missed something.
    This is Onkyo's "LEXUS" brand, aimed at HT installers, but also with a few extra bells and whistles for people wanting a bit more than an average receiver.
    HOW DID I LIKE IT? Well, I bought a 6.9 a year ago on closeout.
    Integra receivers used to be comparable to Onkyo receivers of the same class, but a year ago they moved their INTEGRAS upscale. THE 7.4 became the 7.9, at 1400 bucks.
    For HT I can't recommend it, no video switching. If you can live without video switching,
    them great.
    For audio systems it makes a great center of a starter system, and I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT.
    The amps are quite, no cross talk, higher q than your average receiver.
    Think of it as a starter audiophile grade preamp with a modest power amp built in.
    Runs hot, BTW, but that is its nature. NOT BAD, not bad at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A 5 year-old receiver. Worth it??-dtr74my-receiverfront.jpg  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

BTW it runs four ohm speakers with no problem, ran a pair of these four ohm suckers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    What do you mean by "not interested in hearing flat MP3s"? Are you planning on using a PC as a source and want to get a better connection to it or are you just saying you'll be listening to higher quality sources?

Perhaps a more detailed explanation of exactly what you want to do with this thing would help refine everyone's answers.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    receiver.
    Off topic, but I've been wondering since I joined this forum... why do you put
    random
    line
    breaks
    in the middle of your sentences, pixelthis?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evilspoons
    random
    line
    breaks
    Back when Pix was trying to convince us all that he wasn't just another incarnation of Scotti-Too-Hottie-Too-Fruity-Rich-and-Ruti he adopted certain affectations...some have chosen to believe...others, not so much...

In any case, as the person with the actual experience with the unit in question I have faith in his assertions.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

random
    line
    breaks
    That is because he is too lazy. I told him about it 100 times already.

When Copying/Paste a post via Microsoft Works, it make the post break up like that. He need to use back space to join sentences together. Good luck getting thru to him about this.
    Last edited by Smokey; 01-05-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Microsoft Works.

I wasn't aware that even functioned any more.

Incidentally, if you want it for spell check features, a modern browser like Google Chrome will do the spell checking right in the Reply text box, no external program necessary.

Cool

I wasn't aware that even functioned any more.

Incidentally, if you want it for spell check features, a modern browser like Google Chrome will do the spell checking right in the Reply text box, no external program necessary.
    I never use outside programs, used Explorer for the longest, now I use Google chrome.
    However the browser puts it up there, thats the way it turns out. Sorry, but with my
    dyslexia trying to fix it might make it worse.
    AND the 7.4 is a bargain, aluminum face plate, Ethernet with net radio, and most important, great sound. You could do worse. HAS MORE of the features of a 2,000 receiver than a 1200 dollar one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    CURIOUS as to where you spotted this one, because its exactly the same model I GAVE MY BROTHER. Wonder if hes' trying to make a few bucks.
    Mine cost 1200 bucks around five years ago, and is audiophile grade, with a phono stage,
    unbelievable amps for this price point, and great versatility .
    The video section is obsolete, only has component, as is the digital board, only has DD and DTS.
    receiver.
    If you can find a BLU player that has analog 7.1 out, and can live without video switching,
    you can use it for Home theater. IF YOU CAN FIND a suitable BLURAY player.
    And Onkyo didn't "buy out" Integra, unless I missed something.
    This is Onkyo's "LEXUS" brand, aimed at HT installers, but also with a few extra bells and whistles for people wanting a bit more than an average receiver.
    HOW DID I LIKE IT? Well, I bought a 6.9 a year ago on closeout.
    Integra receivers used to be comparable to Onkyo receivers of the same class, but a year ago they moved their INTEGRAS upscale. THE 7.4 became the 7.9, at 1400 bucks.
    For HT I can't recommend it, no video switching. If you can live without video switching,
    them great.
    For audio systems it makes a great center of a starter system, and I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT.
    The amps are quite, no cross talk, higher q than your average receiver.
    Think of it as a starter audiophile grade preamp with a modest power amp built in.
    Runs hot, BTW, but that is its nature. NOT BAD, not bad at all.
    These are the BluRays with 7.1Ch analog audio I considered for my HK non-HDMI receiver and are still available in the market:
    Panny DMP-BD85 (Bought this, its awsome)
    Samsung C6500 (I heard this one awesome too)
    There is one more, which I could not afford i.e. Oppo 93.
    Home Theater:
    • Harman Kardon AVR 335
      (Supplied 7.1 Channel speaker with this receiver as HTiB)
    • Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu Ray
    • XBOX 360 Slim
    • Belkin Pure AV PF-30 Power Conditioner
    • Epson Home Cinema 8700 UB Projector
    • Logitech Harmony 880

http://picasaweb.google.com/arm.amar/HomeTheater#

Family Room:
    • Panasonic 42" 42PX600U Plasma
    • Harman Kardon DVD31
    • Motorola Cable Box

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by amarmistry
    These are the BluRays with 7.1Ch analog audio I considered for my HK non-HDMI receiver and are still available in the market:
    Panny DMP-BD85 (Bought this, its awsome)
    Samsung C6500 (I heard this one awesome too)
    There is one more, which I could not afford i.e. Oppo 93.
    Just make sure you understand the way your pick handles sound. MOST turn the sound
    injto LPCM and you don't know what they turned it into lpcm from, which was my
    problem. PROBABLY could have found one that I liked, just ready for a receiver upgrade.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thread Information