AR Newbie Registered Member

5.1 Surround help... n00b

hey all, thanks for taking the time to check this out. we just finished our basement and are looking to make a "theater" room mainly for gaming and movie/sports purposes. we bought a sony 1080p 60" TV and a new samsung blu-ray dvd player... but now is where i get lost

i'm looking for recommendations for a 5.1 surround sound setup. my budget is probably $1800-$2000 all inclusive. (minus cables and stands) For the receiver i have picked the Yamaha RX-V659. its gotten great reviews, HDMI and 7.1 upgrade possibilities. now i need help with the speakers...

i have been looking at the Epic Grand Master 175 system seen http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster_175main.html

also the NHT Classic 3 series seem incredible, but are out of my price range. the classic zero set i could afford, but it just seems weak when stacked up against the 3's.

best buy offers a package seen
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...0&type=product

could anybody help me with a recommended system? nobody in my family has dealt with surround sound before, so we're looking for overall sound quality and best bang for the buck option, smoebody should know what i'm, talking about. thanks alot!!

If you like the NHT's which are very good speakers IMO then go with either the Classic 2 or 3's as front channel, the Zero's as rear channel along with an NHT center and a Mirage S8 sub, This should fit in your $2k budget.

Better yet, go with B&W 685's for front-$600, 686's for rear-$400, LCR60 or LCR600-$350-400 for center and the mirage S8 sub or even the outlaw audio sub. The mirage is a really nice sub for about $350

Don't buy a package deal. Build your own with matching speakers and you will get a better sounding system for the money. Those 2 systems above will give you great sound for music and HT!
    Consider looking at paradigm as well.

Hope this helps some.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

NHT classic 3's for $640 pr, NHT super Zero's for rear at $300pr, NHT classic 2 center for about $3-400 and a sub.

Check out these sites.

www.audiophileliquidator.net
    Last edited by blackraven; 02-16-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Well, I think you have done an excellent job choosing your components so far. I like the fact that you didn't get carried away on the receiver (the Yamaha 659 is a very good choice in your budget) and have a good budget for the speakers which make the most difference in the sound. Also, don't forget how you place them in the room has a great deal to do with how they will sound. Read up on speaker and subwoofer placement and also room accoustics. Axiom has a great library at their website with many helpful articles.

NHT, B&W and Mirage are all excellent brands. I happen to own 5 Axiom speakers and think you have narrowed it down to one of their best combined systems with the best bang for the buck! Going with a large bookshelf speaker instead of a floor standing model has a number of benefits in sound and budget. The M22's and the VP100's are a perfect match. The QS8's are perhaps the best surround speakers on the market IMO. I own the smaller QS4's as well as the M2's and they are both great in my condo.

If I could make one suggestion I would consider moving up to the EP350 sub which would put you at about $1930 and still within your budget. I think the sub is the crowning jewel for a home theater system and extremely important. The extra bass extention with the 350 should be an extra plus. Don't forget there is no tax and free shipping.

If you haven't already, give Axiom a call on the phone. Their people are all experienced pro's with many year in the audio and home theater industry. They are extremely helpful. I have been very impressed with both my Axiom speakers and the company.

Heavy gauge lamp zip cord at the hardware store is just fine for speaker wire and buy the lowest price connectors that you can find that are of reasonable quality.

RR6

Cool

I have an older set of B&W which I bought new, they are about six or seven years old, love em.
    If they're good enough for jaguar...
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information