Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,023

    5.1 Sound & HD Broadcasts ON TV

    How come alot of shows aren't broadcast in HD & 5.1 sound by the Networks on Prime Time, especially reality shows like the Apprentice?

    What TV Shows are in 5.1 sound? I know CSI is. Anything else?
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 09-23-2005 at 06:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Probably a cost factor. Would reality shows benefit from 5.1 sound in any way?

    Besides, since you listen to your 2 channel music in '5 channel stereo', why not use it for non-5.1 TV shows?

  3. #3
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    How come alot of shows aren't broadcast in HD & 5.1 sound by the Networks on Prime Time, especially reality shows like the Apprentice?

    What TV Shows are in 5.1 sound? I know CSI is. Anything else?
    I told you Ed in another post that NBC is the worst for primetime programing. They have the fewest shows in HD and most are not 5.1. Most all ABC primetime shows are in HD and 5.1 ( on adlephia cable in my area San Bernardino) the 5.1 is on 100% for all shows on the HD channel no matter if its HD or not. Fox plays most of their primetime shows in HD and 5.1. CBS was very good about a year ago but they are starting to cut back.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I told you Ed in another post that NBC is the worst for primetime programing. They have the fewest shows in HD and most are not 5.1. Most all ABC primetime shows are in HD and 5.1 ( on adlephia cable in my area San Bernardino) the 5.1 is on 100% for all shows on the HD channel no matter if its HD or not. Fox plays most of their primetime shows in HD and 5.1. CBS was very good about a year ago but they are starting to cut back.
    Thanks for info

  5. #5
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246
    You're best bet for 5.1 sound on cable is going to be with new movies on HBO, Starz, and Showtime. For instance, tonight, I-Robot and The Incredibles premiere and they'll be in 5.1 sound.

  6. #6
    AR Member JeffKnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    265
    Maybe your optical cable is messing up the sound for you.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnob
    Maybe your optical cable is messing up the sound for you.
    Speaking about optic cables, you'll get the best TV sound, 5.1, by using a glass fiber optics cable which you can get on Ebay for $20-$30 rather then a regular one. I wouldn't use the glass optics cable on DVD/CD's though as its sound is too in your face but its great for TV audio, particularly 5.1 sound. Why technically this is, I can't explain but it is.

  8. #8
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    You would think if cost were an issue that Best Buy or somone in the audio/video retail industry would almost pay for the networks to run most of their programming or at least the most popular programs in HD and 5.1. They could probably push a lot of product out the door that way. I know that watching/listening to a football game in HD/5.1 is a totally awesome experience compared to the traditional broadcast.

  9. #9
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Nascar in HD and 5.1. Watching Rusty win it all in HD would be the bomb. Hey NA,i use 5ch stereo for the races,its not bad. Couldnt you google HD shows in LA and somebody would have a listing of all HD shows ?
    Look & Listen

  10. #10
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Nascar in HD and 5.1. Watching Rusty win it all in HD would be the bomb. Hey NA,i use 5ch stereo for the races,its not bad. Couldnt you google HD shows in LA and somebody would have a listing of all HD shows ?
    I guess you miss the Nextel cup race in Fontana Ca. it was broadcast in HD and 5.1 I was surprised that NBC did show that in HD. It was a real nice pic with the race starting at dusk and the lights taking over as the sun went down.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  11. #11
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,023
    Just saw a soso show called The Ghost Whisperer which has incredible 5.1 sound. I turned on the USC game here and couldn't believe it wasn't in HD.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Just saw a soso show called The Ghost Whisperer which has incredible 5.1 sound. I turned on the USC game here and couldn't believe it wasn't in HD.
    But the Oregon Ducks got a high definition ass-kicking!

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    48

    ABC + CFB = No HD

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Just saw a soso show called The Ghost Whisperer which has incredible 5.1 sound. I turned on the USC game here and couldn't believe it wasn't in HD.
    I don't think I've ever seen a college football game on ABC in HiDef. I was totally expecting the Texas / Ohio State game (prime time, national broadcast, rare match up) to be broadcasted in HD, but it was not. They're great with Monday night FB, and prime time shows, but they just don't do CFB. I guess that individual games don't get the ratings to justify the cost.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •