Forum Regular

5.1 with lots of power that support newer sound formats?

First of all I want to thank everyone for their input regarding several of my posts. For the most part I have found them to be extremely beneficial. I have norrowed my field down to a 5.1 (I am not an audiophile so this will be plenty for me). My living room is fairly large (15' by 27') so I need something that will have a clear sound to fill the room at high volume and will be used almost entirely on movies.So I will also need something that can support the latest technology, but anything more than 5.1 for me WILL be wasted money. I am all ears for suggestions
    Last edited by Thomsoad; 09-30-2004 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomsoad
    First of all I want to thank everyone for their input regarding several of my posts. For the most part I have found them to be extremely beneficial. I have norrowed my field down to a 5.1 (I am not an audiophile so this will be plenty for me). My living room is fairly large (15' by 27') so I need something that will have a clear sound to fill the room at high volume and will be used almost entirely on movies.So I will also need something that can support the latest technology, but anything more than 5.1 for me WILL be wasted money. I am all ears for suggestions
    Thomsoad, I admit that I haven't read your earlier posts as you mentioned, but don't rule out getting a 7.1 receiver and bi-amping the front two speakers. That way you can always expand later if you wish. The 7.1 might cost you slightly more, but if you watch a lot of movies like I do... when 7.1 is fully supported by all or most DVDs, it will be really nice to have.

I also am somewhat confused by your post. Are you asking someone to recommend an entire 5.1 system or just speakers or just a receiver? And if you asking for recommendations, a budget would help.

Good luck with your upcoming new system.
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

Forum Regular
    My fault, I was referring to the receiver only. Right now from what I have read the Pioneer VSX 912K looks to be a really good deal for $350. It has the 7.1 which will allow me to expand if necessary my only concern is the power, but they say it handles loud volume very well. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Forum Regular
    Do a search on this site for a Yamaha HTR5760/V650. It supports 7.1 and is a great inexpensive receiver!! I've had it for 3 months and it powers my 5.1 extremely well. I got it as a floor model for $325, but generally you can get it new for around $400.

Good luck!
    Eric

Forum Regular
    Well i would give the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R a try. I traded my Onkyo 939 for it. I tested it against a Denon AVC 1SE- The little british kid has some real current. Its a 6.1 Receiver with the 6.1. You can add a processor for 7.1 later if you wish, and also add more powerfull mono amps later.

cheers
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

Thread Information