5.1 HT with 1 pair of speakers.

yesterday i finished putting together my (new to me) 5.1 HT rig, the centerpiece of which is the AR MGC-1 speaker. as you can see, the speakers are actually comprised of 2 speakers systems per cabinet, with a front and side firing arrays. these were designed by Ken Kantor when he was head of R&D at AR in the mid '80's. in fact, he was the previous owner of this pair... he even signed the back label for me.

technically the system is 4.0 as the fronts also handle the center and sub signals. the receiver is a Pioneer VSX 47TX (130x7), an Oppo BDP-83 supplies video and multi-channel playback, and a Squeezebox v.3 connected to a Vortexbox music server handles the 2-channel stereo duties.

the sound from this system is nothing short of spectacular. so much so that it has displaced my dedicated stereo rig as my primary listening system.

AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Cool

Nice.
    Need to spread those spectacular fronts out a tad, and get a center. YOU NEED a sub
    like the USS Abraham Lincoln needs jet fighters.
    Again, very nice.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Nice looking speakers. I bet they sound great.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Nice.
    Need to spread those spectacular fronts out a tad, and get a center. YOU NEED a sub
    like the USS Abraham Lincoln needs jet fighters.
    Again, very nice.
    due to WAF, the system will be confined to these close quarters for now... a dedicated center would be cool, but the fronts do a more than adequate job without one. as for a sub, the knock on the MGC-1 is its relatively "modest" low end, but in this config i'm not finding it lacking at all. its very authoritative and realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    ...I bet they sound great.
    yes indeed. they've sent my AR9's into retirement. the presentation is very airy, extremely detailed and rich. these project a huge soundstage, and while there is a "sweet spot" i find that any seat in the room sounds wonderful.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Mutant from table 9
    WAF left your house and boarded a bus to Phoenix a long long time ago.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    LOL...I'm sayin'...

But, that it was king-hella set up and with the speaks that close to the wall I'd imagine that low end isn't an issue. Nice work.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

thanks. the speakers are designed to be placed up against the wall. my primary task now is to get them on a longer wall and have more distance between them... thats where the WAF comes in.

Forum Regular
    Perhaps in some way you could use the tv sets amp and speakers as a center channel by outputing a wire out of the receiver if there is a center channel output to an audio input of the tv set although I am not too sure this is possible because of HDMI cable involvment.

Those main speakers have an odd D'Appolito design; looks like a tweeter and a midrange thingy in the middle. Intersteing side firing set-up of which I think you are using that for your two surround channels. Might work good, even great. The whole set-up is quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Perhaps in some way you could use the tv sets amp and speakers as a center channel by outputing a wire out of the receiver if there is a center channel output to an audio input of the tv set although I am not too sure this is possible because of HDMI cable involvment.
    great idea, thanks! the receiver has an analog out for the center channel, but i dont know about the Vizio. if i can get it to work i'll try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Those main speakers have an odd D'Appolito design; looks like a tweeter and a midrange thingy in the middle. Intersteing side firing set-up of which I think you are using that for your two surround channels. Might work good, even great. The whole set-up is quite interesting.
    yes, side firing system is the surround channels, it does work quite well. the driver in the middle is a tweeter and a mid mounted together on a single plate and weighs about 20 lbs. i dont know what part of the design does it, but these things image like a mofo, very wide, but also very deep.

Forum Regular
    Dingus; I believe that some current Pioneer receivers have some kind of frontal thingy that gives some kind of 5 channel sound. I do not remember what they actually call it but I almost wonder if that particular item that they have might be quite good for your current set-up or for that matter, anybody else(if they exist) have such a similar set-up.

I just read somewhere that I believe it is Polk that has come out with a soundbar plus a wireless surround module(an all in one module thingy) that can sit in back of a couch. The photo of this module had it under a table and I am wondering if it too fires from the sides. I just found a link to this item though it seems a few people who reviewed it are not satisfied with it. I hope this link works

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107FXWS...nd.html?tp=190

for multichannel input i just use 5.1 output setting on the receiver. for 2-channel stereo input i use the 5 channel stereo output setting. there are a slew of ht settings on the receiver, but i'm finding that the vanilla settings sound the best.

never heard that Polk speaker or any like it. i dont have any idea if there are similarities in the design.

Forum Regular
    Dingus; I do not think that the polk speaker has a similar design to your speakers but it is an attempt of somekind to make surround sound more convenient. However reviews by people on this thingy have not been good.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats!!
    Very cool looking speakers and I would love to see how they sound.
    Having the designer sign them makes some of the most unique speakers out there.

Are these Bi or even tri-ampable?
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    For that kind of setup...BYE.
    But seriously, you still have a little room to "spread em", even a little bit would help.
    And everybody needs a center of some kind, IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Congrats!!
    Very cool looking speakers and I would love to see how they sound.
    Having the designer sign them makes some of the most unique speakers out there.

Are these Bi or even tri-ampable?
    thanks.

as you can see there are 2 separate connections, so technically you could say that they are bi-ampable, but there are actually two separate speaker systems per cabinet.

... you still have a little room to "spread em", even a little bit would help.
    And everybody needs a center of some kind, IMHO.
    for the meantime they are about as far apart as i can manage. i'm going to try the Vizio as a center speaker, but i need to get a patch cord and adapter.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dingus
    thanks.

as you can see there are 2 separate connections, so technically you could say that they are bi-ampable, but there are actually two separate speaker systems per cabinet.
    Thats the same connection. One RCA and the other balanced.
    Hook an amp up to each, be sure to turn em on with a remote...
    IN THE NEXT ROOM.FYI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

the RCA connection is for the front array, the DIN connection is for the side array, they are independent of each other. i have the Pioneer VSX 47TX driving both using the front and surround taps.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dingus
    the RCA connection is for the front array, the DIN connection is for the side array, they are independent of each other. i have the Pioneer VSX 47TX driving both using the front and surround taps.
    are they labeled? SEEMS KINDA WEIRD, but then again DIN connections have
    always seemed flaky to me..
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

are they labeled? SEEMS KINDA WEIRD, but then again DIN connections have
    always seemed flaky to me..
    no labels, but there is no other way to hook them up. the DIN connection was used to connect to the MGC-1e amp, which powered the side array and provided them with adjustable delay and ambient effects. by todays standards (these were produced in 1985) the MGC-1e is pretty much made obsolete by dsp technology commonly available with HT receivers.

Thread Information