AR Newbie Registered Member

Explorer HD 8000 starts in SDTV after TV off

Hey everybody,

I have Time Warner cable with the HD DVR. After my TV is off for awhile. When I turn it on the picture is all gray. This is the same format that it showed upon first installation, all gray with the "'A' for standard definition" if you wait awhile or press B it goes into the setup for HD.

The set works fine. If you turn off/on the TV, DVR, or whatever... everything is ok. But if you let the TV sit off overnight. When you turn it on the picture is gray and you have to go to quick setup again.

I've tried with the DVR on/off. Still the same.

Any ideas

Forum Regular

Get the 8300 one from Time Warner As I've posted Numerous Times

Just exchange the 8000 for the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD. The 8000 does not give you 5.1 sound nor does it let you make external DVD or VHS copies. Thus your problems will be moot & you'll get better features. I live in LA & am on Time Warner.

Ed,

I will check with TW, but what is the difference between the two? I have been getting 5.1 on the HD channels. I haven't tried the copy to vhs, but it is a selection.

I was able to get 5.1 with my 8000 when I had it as well. I don't copy anything to Vhs so I don't know anything about that feature. The a big difference I was informed of between the 8000 and the 8300 is that the 8000 was pushed onto the market too fast and can be unstable.

As for the issues you are having with your 8000, I have never experienced anything like that with either the 8000 I had or the 8300 that I have. You need to contact TW to get a replacement.

Thanks for the info. I will contact TW.

Andre

Forum Regular
    Not trying to be sarcastic & I'm a guy who's speaker wires were on the wrong channels for months till I detected it, but are you guys sure you heard true 5.1 sound not some kind of mismash that you thought was 5.1 sound? In any case, you can suppossidly store more shows on the 8300 & as exchanging this is free at Time Warner you should consider it.
    I definately would not rely on Time Warner's customer service to provide you with the right answer, though. Good luck.

well, ed,

All I know is my reciever says it is decoding as 5.1. But I will give the 2300 a shot. Though I think my TW will charge me extra, because that is what they give out for MR DVR.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Not trying to be sarcastic & I'm a guy who's speaker wires were on the wrong channels for months till I detected it, but are you guys sure you heard true 5.1 sound not some kind of mismash that you thought was 5.1 sound? In any case, you can suppossidly store more shows on the 8300 & as exchanging this is free at Time Warner you should consider it.
    I definately would not rely on Time Warner's customer service to provide you with the right answer, though. Good luck.
    The 8000 and 8300 have the same storage capacity. The HD versions however do have increased capacity. The ability to record to a vhs or dvd recorder is a software upgrade and is not limited to the 8300, unless the cable provider has chosen only to provide the feature on certain models. Both models are supposed to provide DD per Scientific Atlanta.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    My receiver definitely said it was DD.

Thread Information