Thread: Projector

Forum Regular

Projector

im setting up a home theatre for a aunt of mine, and originally she wanted a samsung hdtv big screen like a 51 inch or so, but i got thinking, that tv is like 5500 canadian, why dont i buy her a good projector instead. you see the whol thing is she doesnt have room for a large "thick tv" so why not have any at all. just a screen that can roll up, it would work much better.

now the only question is, is there a good projector out there that can match the quality of a samsung hdtv? and where can i get it from.

Forum Regular

Okay, but you are going to be into some more $$

The Sony LCDs are relatively cheap (little one is $3k US) and look pretty good. I've got a friend with the Yamaha LPX500(?) LCD and it looks noticably better, but it is 1/2 again the money.

A motorized screen will chew up a lot of money. $1500-1800 and up US. Get a low gain white (1.2-1.3 or so) and life will be good. However, you need light control in the room. If you have lots of windows that you can't cover during the day, a projector is "right out". That's where a regular TV does better. And if you are going to use it a lot, a $600US bulb every 1500-2000 hours can add up.

That's the big picture.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular

Info About the projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by uncooked
    im setting up a home theatre for a aunt of mine, and originally she wanted a samsung hdtv big screen like a 51 inch or so, but i got thinking, that tv is like 5500 canadian, why dont i buy her a good projector instead. you see the whol thing is she doesnt have room for a large "thick tv" so why not have any at all. just a screen that can roll up, it would work much better.

now the only question is, is there a good projector out there that can match the quality of a samsung hdtv? and where can i get it from.
    Hi,
    I live in North Vancouver, B.C. I carry an entire Lineup of LCD and DLP projectors. From budget to Highend. If you need more info, please send me an email at "fullcontact@shaw.ca"and I will send detailed information on the projectors or any question that you may have. Best regards.

Forum Regular
    I recently saw a Toshiba projector TV at Best Buy that had a great picture and a wide viewing angle. The cool thing is that it was only 19 inches deep and about $1,400 U.S. The bad thing is that is a 42 inch unit. I was more amazed by the picture quality. Maybe check one of those out.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uncooked

STOP! Before you go out and get a front projector ask yourself if the room it is going into has complete light control. Projectors are great ONLY in darkend room. If the room has windows that cannot be fully shaded, a pass-through to another room, or worst of all a skylight, then a projector is not a good option.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information