Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

3D TV A Premature Waste at this Point or Not?

I'm a bit confused on why anyone would want to buy a 3D Ready TV at this point and hope someone can explain. I'm speaking of only TV programs/channels at this point.

Other then maybe some ESPN future sports broadcasts, I don't see any 3D series planned by the major networks. So really unless you have money up the Whazoo, why buy one with your hard earned money at this point in time? If the networks were actually going to broadcast a significant portion if their shows in 3D, sure I'd want to buy one too but they're not.

The prices would probably be like the computer market too, each year they'd be getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better at the same time. Of course that's probably typical of all new technology.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    I'm a bit confused on why anyone would want to buy a 3D Ready TV at this point and hope someone can explain. I'm speaking of only TV programs/channels at this point.

Other then maybe some ESPN future sports broadcasts, I don't see any 3D series planned by the major networks. So really unless you have money up the Whazoo, why buy one with your hard earned money at this point in time? If the networks were actually going to broadcast a significant portion if their shows in 3D, sure I'd want to buy one too but they're not.

The prices would probably be like the computer market too, each year they'd be getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better at the same time. Of course that's probably typical of all new technology.
    Since you are not talking movies, I will try to tackle the TV programs angle. There have been some sport programming video taped in 3D that had quite a big response from the public. Hence why at least on the sports side it is getting a lot of attention. When polls are taken after a broadcast, the level of enthusiasm was very high with calls for more programming.

As with any new technology, there is always a chicken and egg dynamic. Why buy a 3D television if there is no 3D programming. This time around they want to defeat that dynamic by offering more programming early to drive the sales of the television, thereby avoiding the chicken and egg dynamic.

Will it be a success, well early reports show that Panasonic sold out its first 3D televisions in just a day. I guess the next chance to see if this phenomena has legs comes from looking at the sales of Samsung televisions.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein

YOUR IMPRESSION IS CORRECT.
    3D is a total waste of time.
    The industry has tried several times to introduce "3D TV", and its crashed and burned every time.
    PEOPLE who advocate it cite theater presentations.
    THE FACT THAT it has never caught on in theaters is hardly an argument to put it into TV tho.
    Until they get a form of 3D that doesnt need glasses, doesnt cause headachs and other side effects, they are going to find 3D a hard sell.
    In a year 3D TV will be gone.
    Its a puzzle that they are pushing it now, tho, right after the sudden surge in TV sales.
    Like everybody is going to get rid of those shiny new LCD sets they bought for Christmas.
    Quite the marketing mis-step.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Did you know that the 3D Samsung TVs convert 2D to 3D? So will the Sony 3D TVs when they're introduced this summer, and those of some other brands. I will not have to wait for the OTA broadcast networks to convert their series to the new 3D standard, which, as you suggest, is not about to happen soon. This really doesn't affect me, though, since I don't watch those series, anyway. I'm interested in the documentary channel(s) which Discovery will be introducing next year and an occasional 3D blu-ray movie. The three 3D channels which DirecTV is introducing in two months should be an interesting novelty, at least.
    Greg

2D to 3D conversion is not very good on these televisions. There is simply not enough processing to do it correctly, and movies that are converted from 2D to 3D must be shot with 3D in mind during production or it will not look right. Clash of the Titans proves this.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Well....

I bought my first LCD/HD TV a couple of years ago. We're in heaven. I couldn't think of tossing my 52 in Sammy in the trash heap for 3D...

BUT. I was talking to my friend Sugi who owns and operates the local "art Theatre":

www.Spectrum8.com

And I asked her if she ran "Alice in Wonderland" and she said "no" because they didn't have a 3D screen. I countered with, well "why not just show the 2D version." Her response was quite telling. She said they found with "Up" that if 3D is offered on the same flick locally, families (read kids) want the 3D effect and will pay to get it. While I regret that 3D is coming so close on the heels of HiDef, if folks view it the way our parents viewed Stereo vs. Mono Hifi, or color vs. Black and White T.V., I may be screwed. But my kids a Junior in High School soo...... But if kids get used to 3D effects parents my have little choice.

Worf

Like I said before and I will say again. If I have to where damn glasses to watch tv then I Am not in. I hate having to where glasses just to watch my tv.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Personally I do not think 3D is premature or a gimmick. The object is not to make you choose, but to give you choice. I do not think the object is to make anyone just dump their current televisions for 3D ones. The object is to develop the BR format to give you more choices in the way you view HD video. 3D does not supplant 2D, it adds to the experience.

I think 3D will suceed just because most televisions will be 3D enabled anyway. 3D is not for everyone, pregnant women,intoxicated folks, sleep deprived folks, people with eye problems,and people prone to seizures and dizziness. Some estimates say that 6% of the American public will have problems with 3D
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 04-16-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Another avenue that 3-D might flourish is if point and shoot and digital camcorders for the masses are manufactured and work properly. It is one thing to see somebody elses work on the big screen but it is even nicer and "braggier" when you see your own work on that screen in your home too.

I'm so not buying a 3D TV. I'm probably one of a few who do not care for 3D. Never have. Never will.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    I'm so not buying a 3D TV. I'm probably one of a few who do not care for 3D. Never have. Never will.
    There may come a time that all TV's will do 3D whether you like it or not.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    There may come a time that all TV's will do 3D whether you like it or not.
    Doubt that.
    Even so, there will always be the "flatties", just like there will always be mono, stereo,
    and surround for sound.
    3D right now just isn't ready for prime time.
    And govt regulators have pulled things off the shelf before for less than causing
    "headaches".
    On the other hand talkys still here....
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I believe it's a fad and nothing more.

I'm more an audio guy anyway, although HD has really made me appreciate video more than ever. I realize A/V manufacturers are always looking for the 'next big thing', but I can't imaging it's 3D. I'm guessing thinner, like the screens that are already in development (can't recall the name but I am thinking they are called 'Green Screens') and can be folded up and taken to another location in a matter of seconds.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I think the biggest issue is content. Looking at most programs that are on TV now how many of them would be substantially improved or be more compelling by being in 3D?

As Sir T pointed out some Sports programming would probably draw an audience as would Sci-Fi fare and few other programs but the majority of programs would not be enhanced by the 3D experience. Anderson Cooper in 3D or American Idol 3D is not going to make people run out and buy TV sets. Another possible factor on the programming side could be cost. I don't know what the additional cost would be to a network to shoot a series in 3D but the rise of "Reality TV", Prime-time game shows and animated series in prime time is in part a direct result of the rising cost of producing a TV series. I see 3D only making that problem worse.

The last point I would make on content would be from the creative side of it. For certain genre's when and where to insert a 3D effect is somewhat an easy call but if you are now going to be producing a weekly TV series with 3D effects will the writers, directors etc know when to use 3D? This technology is a little different than say the switch from Black and White to Color was and I would venture that if used incorrectly or in a predictable manner by the creative team putting a show together it will turn audiences away.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    Our Media Test Center here at Sony just received a prototype 3D TV to use for testing 3D movies. They are using it with both Sony and Samsung 3D players and have also purchased both NVidia and Samsung 3D glasses. The receiver is a STR-DH810 with HDMI 1.4.

On Friday we received the 3D version of "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". I was able to view several test sessions. All I can say is WOW! The effects are incredible. This is not a passing phase. The prototype TV is a 46" Sony and had a price of $3000. Not sure of a model number. There are still some artifacts, but overall the 3D effects enhance the viewing experience extremely well.

Although the effects are excellent, I doubt I run out and buy a new TV very soon. I have signed up for the pre-order of a 3D player from our family website for $139. The price is right and it has network streaming. I may plan to go 3D sometime next year when I purchase a TV for the bedroom, or possibly rearrange TVs and put it in the living room. Not sure, but sooner or later I will have one.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    But if kids get used to 3D effects parents my have little choice.

Worf
    Now here is a growing trend that is scary. Not just with 3D viewing. It appears that way too many parents allow their children to make all the decisions and run the show. Worf, I'm not pointing any fingers, it's just that your post hits a nerve with me.

I have watched too many parents try to become Friends or Buddies with their children instead of being the parent. When I was growing up, Chuck Taylor All Stars were the big sneaker that everyone had to have. My parents were not so well off raising 5 children and I always got $2 bobos from JM Fields or someplace. The first pair of Chucks I ever owned I bought with my own earned money at a whopping $10.

My parents knew how to say NO. I watch my neighbors kids run the show as well as good friends whos kid has controlled them since he was old enough to whine.

Just because Johnny Acavanos's dad bought him a new bike, doesn't mean your kid gets one too. Just because kids see a 3d movie doesn't mean the parent has to go out and buy a new tv.

It's time for PARENTS to start taking back the parenting duties and explain to the CHILDREN that that they just don't get everything they want, ask for, or that a friend has. Hopefully they will then learn some valuable lessons the way most of us have. You want something bad enough, you get a job, save some money, and buy it yourself.

Sorry for the rant.

I will most likely be the last on my block to adopt the latest technology. I may even have to retire my roof antenna if I do so when the time comes.

My childhood was quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    My parents knew how to say NO. I watch my neighbors kids run the show as well as good friends whos kid has controlled them since he was old enough to whine.

Just because Johnny Acavanos's dad bought him a new bike, doesn't mean your kid gets one too. Just because kids see a 3d movie doesn't mean the parent has to go out and buy a new tv.

I will most likely be the last on my block to adopt the latest technology. I may even have to retire my roof antenna if I do so when the time comes.
    When my parent's went out on a Saturday night, my grandmother would come over to babysit. First she would beat me with a leather belt then force me to watch Lawrence Welk. Okay, the beating part was a joke, but the Lawrence Welk part is true! I used to well up with tears because she just HAD to watch that show. A one ana two...

A roof antenna? Are you serious?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish

A roof antenna? Are you serious?
    Absolutely...and I still get the Lawrence Welk Show, which I laugh out loud whenever I pass by it.

I watch so little TV, rent movies for $1.06 at RedBox, what else do I need? Anything else can be plucked from the net. Oh yeah, I only have DSL so it takes a few hours when I do.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Personally I do not think 3D is premature or a gimmick. The object is not to make you choose, but to give you choice. I do not think the object is to make anyone just dump their current televisions for 3D ones. The object is to develop the BR format to give you more choices in the way you view HD video. 3D does not supplant 2D, it adds to the experience.
    I agree with this...

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Like I said before and I will say again. If I have to where damn glasses to watch tv then I Am not in. I hate having to where glasses just to watch my tv.
    ....but I also agree with this...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

nightflier
    I have another question: what glasses do I need? Just doing a quick search pulled up 3D anaglyph, 3D Pulfrich, 3D Polarized glasses, and I'm sure there are more. Then the next question is whether the 3D anaglyph glasses work with all the movies, or do I need a different pairs for different movies?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I have another question: what glasses do I need? Just doing a quick search pulled up 3D anaglyph, 3D Pulfrich, 3D Polarized glasses, and I'm sure there are more. Then the next question is whether the 3D anaglyph glasses work with all the movies, or do I need a different pairs for different movies?

I'm pretty sure it's not a "what 3D glasses for the movie" but what "3D glasses for the 3D HDTV that I have". Each is using similar/different technology and not necessarily inter-changable between different manufacturers of tv sets or glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Wow, you are just amazing. You don't know squat about 3D in the home, and yet you predict is downfall in this thread

The future for 3D not so bright?

Now, it is time for you to shut up and learn something about 3D before you make stupid predictions as you have not seemed to learn that lesson from your lame ignorant HD DVD defeats Bluray prediction. If you don't know the very basic's of a technology, how can you possibly predict its future?

You have a very bad habit of making comments and opinions on subjects you have no clue on, when are you going to stop spreading ignorance on this website?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

nightflier
    Beating that old HD-DVD vs. BR horse again? I didn't think there was anything left to beat, lil't. I'm just asking about the glasses, nothing more. And rather than dragging in old carcasses of debates past, why don't you just answer the question? Or is this going to be another one of those non-ending discussions where you never actually answer the question?

Funny, actually, that you would attack me for questioning the future of 3D in the home, when the general consensus here is that it actually will be a dud. You sure know how to pick your Waterloos, you little tyrant. I think the only people touting 3D's greatness are those who have something to gain from it (yes, that means you).

Well good luck with that.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Wow, you are just amazing. You don't know squat about 3D in the home, and yet you predict is downfall in this thread

The future for 3D not so bright?

Now, it is time for you to shut up and learn something about 3D before you make stupid predictions as you have not seemed to learn that lesson from your lame ignorant HD DVD defeats Bluray prediction. If you don't know the very basic's of a technology, how can you possibly predict its future?

You have a very bad habit of making comments and opinions on subjects you have no clue on, when are you going to stop spreading ignorance on this website?
    You sure are cranky.
    Must have gotten up on the wrong side of the coffin
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    STFU troll.