37" Panasonic Plasma vs Sharp Aquos? Help

I have narrowed my search for a new HDTV to either a 37" Panasonic Plasma or the Sharp Aquos LCD. I have found both for around 2,500. I plan on using this as a computer monitor as well. I have heard burn in is an issue with plasmas but I have also heard that it isn't. I was thinking of maybe going to the 42" plasma but I have limited space for my two klipsch tower speakers. I don't believe they are video shielded. Do plasma's have the same picture distortion due to the magnets of the speakers like CRTs? I have heard LCD's also lack in the fast motion but I also heard the new sharps handle fast motion very well. Has anyone dealt with online dealers with good results or is it worth a few hundred more to get it at CC or BB? Thanks.

On a level playing field, my preference might be the Panasonic, for black levels alone. But the surface isn't so flat. First, screen burn is a drawback with plasmas, although under normal conditions, it isn't the danger that some people make it out to be. However, use of a plasma as a computer monitor is just the activity that maximizes the risk. Even if an image never gets imprinted on the screen long enough to leave its mark, the parts of the display that don't get as much use will wear differently than the center, creating strange discontinuities. It may not be a problem for a long time to come, or at all, but the possibility will always exist. You'd have to ensure that your brightness/contrast were at a safe level, fill the screen as much as possible, and keep track of screen time to make absolutely sure that no harm is done. Is it worth it?

Second, the 8" inch difference in diagonal between the Panasonic and the Sharp screens, assuming that you were still looking at the 45" inch model, is nothing to sneeze at. Even if you have a smaller LCD in mind, at or near the Panasonic's size, the native resolution would be higher. This doesn't necessarily translate into a better picture, but unlike plasmas, LCDs thrive as computer displays, with no obvious drawbacks.

On the matter of fast motion, plasmas are subject to some blurring as well. Pixel refresh time used to be a red flag. It's not as big a deal any more. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. I've looked at a lot of these things, and I haven't seen a motion trail on anything for a long time. You'd do well to go to BB or CC one of these days while a football game is playing and see for yourself.

Neither plasmas nor LCDs need shielded speakers. Reputable dealers for flat panels can be found on the web. Send me a PM, and I'll give you some stores to call.

Ed

If you are using it as a computer monitor, I would definatly go with the Sharp. It is a georgous television!
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Second, the 8" inch difference in diagonal between the Panasonic and the Sharp...
    ...note Sharp does have a 32, 37, and 45" version of their tv.

Sam's Club has a 42" Phillips HD Plasma for $1999. Anyone have any recomendations on that versus the Sharp or Panasonic.

I haven't seen a Philips plasma for a while, but I had one on hand a few years ago. It was a small step down from the best of them (Panasonic) back then, with a slight hint of false contouring, but solid. Philips plasmas don't have as a high a profile these days, now that the technology is no longer new, many manufacturers have dropped out, and the competition is more diverse. I think that Philips HD panels feature the ALiS 1024x1024 panels that were in vogue for a while, which are a little reminiscent of interlaced TVs. I'm just not familiar enough with them empirically to help much. Don't some brick and mortar stores still carry Philips--maybe even Cosco or BJ's? You might be able to take a look there. On the whole, I'd rather have a Philips than one of the nameless types that you can find in the bargain basements.

Thread Information