AR Newbie Registered Member

32" LCD or PLASMA

been awhile since I have been around....My in-laws are looking to buy a 32" LCD or Plasma HDTV capable. Anyone have a suggestion as to go with LCD or Plasma? Any good 32" out there? Suggestions welcomed.. =)

thanks
    chris

Forum Regular

HD tv

How about a 34inch tube set by Toshiba etal for approx 1,500....better clarity, price and reliability and off axis viewing at this point..for less than half the price.....LCD and Plasma still over 4,000 for HD (not to be confused with ED sets) being sold for less than 3,000 .

Forum Regular
    If I may be so bold ...... your in-laws are not looking at the best technologies, at least if they're looking for anything even remotely resembling value that is.

First off, there are no HiDef displays in those two categories for less than $5K-$6K - most are well above those amounts - like $9K - $15K or more!. Also, there is nothing larger than 30" available in LCD, although Sharp is supposed to release a 37" sometime this year. When they do, you can bet your bippy that it will have a pricetag that will give any sane person second thoughts.

The very best "bang for the buck" today is with front projectors, followed close behind by RPTVs (CRT-based) and then DLP or LCD-based RPTVs. Which is the most suitable for any particular application requires further scrutiny - there are a lot of variables involved. If they are dead set against any sort of projection display, then I'd second Debbi's suggestion of the 34" widescreen Toshiba direct-view ... at least it will be Hi-Def capable and represents a good value, which in my view neither LCDs or Plasmas do.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I have a SONY KE 42XS910 plasma and a SONY KLV 30XBR900 LCD. If they are serious about buying one or the other, regardless of the cost, I would look at the new SONY LCDs. Please check out if the set has a separate box for the electronics. The above LCD has a huge box while the plasma doesn't. By huge I mean 17" by 20" by almost 6" high.

The LCDs with the WEGA have great pictures. They are not the least expensive out there. The 42" plasmas are in the 6000-7000 range street price. The LCD I bought was in the $4000-$5000 range. The RP LCDs seem to be reasonable buys. They are thin, about 14-15 inches deep. The Direct View CRTs are least expensive but in 30-36 inch will weigh 150-300 pounds!
    Last edited by TonyTiger; 03-22-2004 at 07:32 AM. Reason: mispelling

Thread Information