Keep the Dirty Side Down Turbota's Avatar

Various video cables > No difference in picture quality

This has nothing to do with Home Theater, but since it's TV related, I guess this is the best forum to post this in:

We all have read this before:

#1. Component cables: The best picture quality

#2. S-Video cable: So-So picture quality

#3. Composite cables: The worst picture quality

Well, I believed what I had read, so today I removed the cheap Composite video cables that I had connected to my new Panasonic 42" plasma TV and hooked up a good quality S-Video cable between the satellite TV box and the TV ... What did I find ... No difference at all that I can see.

I would have used the even better Component cables, but the satellite TV box that I have only has connections for Composite and S-Video cables, so that is my only 2 choices as far as watching regular TV from the satellite (no cable TV where I live)

I am thinking that this is the same smoke the industry blows at us consumers like a $500 set of "Boutique" RCA Audio Interconnect cables used in 2 channel Hi-Fi will sound better than a cheap set of $1.98 Walmart RCA audio patch cables.

Next I will remove the cheap Composite cables I have between the DVD player and the TV and replace it with a set of Component cables ... but I have the feeling the picture will still be the same to my "un-trained" eye.

Just wondering if any of the rest of you can actually "see" an improvement in TV picture quality by switching to the various different types of video cables?

Ron,

Suspended
    I suspect when you replace the cable from your DVD you will notice a difference there if the component cables are good quality. Composite to S-video is the smallest jump and with the upscaling of your TV the difference may have been negligible. Either way you are only getting 480i from your satelite receiver. You need to call your provider to see if you can get an upgrade in receiver which will allow HD and possibly subscribe to some HD channels. Then you will realize a significant improvement in picture quality. You will need to use either component or HDMI for HD signals.

It has been my experience that there is a difference in connections as well as quality of cables. I have not done much with S-video. I jumped from composite to component and now HDMI.

Suspended
    PS, once you do your comparison on DVD, if you have "progressive scan" on your DVD player you want to turn that on while using your component cables, this will give you 480p video output but only via component or HDMI.

Yup ... My DVD player has 'progressive scan'. I will make sure it's on after changing the cables to Component.

As far as my satellite TV ... Here in the Philippines, all that's available is Dream Satellite. http://www.dream.com.ph/ This Asian company uses a very old satellite (launched in 97) and there is no high def. available that I am aware of.

"DREAM Satellite TV is the first all-digital Direct-To-Home (DTH) television broadcasting service via satellite in the Philippines.

Broadcasting from the DREAM Broadcast Center located at the Clark Special Economic Zone in Pampanga, channel content is received from program providers, compressed and broadcasted via the Mabuhay "Aguila 2" C Band satellite in DVB and NTSC color format exclusively to DREAM subscribers".

Satellite info: http://www.mabuhaysat.com/tablesandfootprints.php
    http://www.mabuhaysat.com/facilities.php

Yeah, as already stated, it's your source that is the weakest link. In order for you to get a true HD picture, you'll need an HD source. Without that, your cables won't make much difference. Once you have an HD source, those cables will make a world of difference.

PS.

Where in the Philippines are you? My wife is from Camiguin Island.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    TV providers and latest technology in this instance isn't life or death but it does show how we tend to take things we have available for granted.

Basically, Mr. P summed it up: There's not a heckuva lot of difference between composte and S-video and either is fine for Non-HD TV programming.

For DVD's and HD TV programming, component or HDMI is a must for a good picture. It's good for anything up to 1080i.

If you go Blu-Ray, you MUST use HDMI for 1080p.

As for progressive scan, this only works on digital TV's. I found it doesn't work on my old CRT based analog SD units.

Thank's everyone one for the info.

I think I will just order cables from Blue Jeans.

1 ea Component cable for between the DVD player to TV
    1 ea S-Video cable for between the satellite box to TV
    2 pair of RCA Audio Interconnects (1 pair between the DVD player and TV, and 1 pair between the satellite box and TV)

Don't look like they will be getting HDTV here in the Philippines anytime soon (at least not from the Dream satellite service I have)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbota
    We all have read this before:

#1. Component cables: The best picture quality

#2. S-Video cable: So-So picture quality

#3. Composite cables: The worst picture quality
    That ranking is somewhat misleading

S-video is very close in term of performance as compared to component. So better ranking would be in scale of 1 thru 5 from worst to best connection.....1 would be composite, S-video 4 and component 5.

The reason you do not see much difference between Composite and S-video in your case is because most Panasonic TVs (I have a CRT Panasonic ) have excellent comb filter. So difference between composite and s-video/Component connection is minimal.

Cool

If your TV has HDMI then a Blu PLAYER with hdmi would be best.
    I thought HDMI was probably hooey, but the diff between that and component is massive, I dont even use the component switching
    on my receiver anymore.
    HDMI is the connection to strive for.
    ALSO a lot of video (especially older stuff) was made using composite
    video, doesnt do much good to seperate the different parts of the signal in a SVHS cable.
    Get a BLU player, get your moneys worth outta your set.
    EVEN IF YOU ONLY HAVE COMPONENT , BLU WILL still
    look amazing
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

That Blu Player looks like the real deal ... But if I was to buy a Blu Player, and hook it to my new Panasonic 42" plasma TV, I might not be able to use it over here in the Philippines ... I don't think Blu Player DVDs are available here.

BTW ... I can't play my regular MP3 music CDs on a blu Player, can I?
    Last edited by Turbota; 10-16-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Suspended
    That Blu Player looks like the real deal ... But if I was to buy a Blu Player, and hook it to my new Panasonic 42" plasma TV, I might not be able to use it over here in the Philippines ... I don't think Blu Player DVDs are available here.
    Man Ron, I don't recall reading on the old LS1.com pages your reasons for moving there, but it sounds like in your case upgrading your A/V equipment is going to be difficult and expensive to say the least. Maybe you should reconsider your choice of homeland. Like maybe move to North Texas... maybe help me get my beast back into drag racing form... maybe.

BTW ... I can't play my regular MP3 music CDs on a blu Player, can I?
    Yes you can.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Man Ron, I don't recall reading on the old LS1.com pages your reasons for moving there, but it sounds like in your case upgrading your A/V equipment is going to be difficult and expensive to say the least. Maybe you should reconsider your choice of homeland. Like maybe move to North Texas... maybe help me get my beast back into drag racing form... maybe.

Yes you can.
    You can play "regular" CD's like store bought, MP3 is more problematic.
    Panny I think can, dont think so for Sony.
    HMMMM, philipines or "north" texas, which third world country to live in....
    I know!
    NEW JERSEY!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Like maybe move to North Texas... maybe help me get my beast back into drag racing form... maybe.

Yes you can.
    Rich ....

And get all greasy like this again!

Here's what I got to say about that!

Suspended
    You know you want to Ron!!!

I'm going to Seafoam my top end and pray that my Knock sensor stops flipping off. If not, maybe you can help me pull the intake off to change out the sensor... and maybe the heads for a look-see... and maybe we oughta do a cam upgrade while we got the heads and front machinery off... and since the heads'll be off maybe some upgraded valves and springs... give my beast a new lease on life.

I'll trade ya some A/V knowledge for some help. Bring your son, it'll be a good learning experience for him.

Whaddaya say buddy?

I'll trade ya some A/V knowledge for some help. Bring your son, it'll be a good learning experience for him.

Whaddaya say buddy?
    And miss the good life here in the islands!

Ron,

Suspended
    Yer a knucklehead! Who invited you here anyway?!

On Topic:

Pix may be right. I was referencing the BD drive in my PS3. It's got Sony's top-of-the-line drive in it. His is a standalone player so...

Cool

Yer a knucklehead! Who invited you here anyway?!

On Topic:

Pix may be right. I was referencing the BD drive in my PS3. It's got Sony's top-of-the-line drive in it. His is a standalone player so...

OF course! Always am.
    Need to stop seafoamin your top end so much.;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thread Information