AR Newbie Registered Member

2 Hdmi vs 1 Hdmi

I just noticed that a new Samsung model # S5679W 1080p which will replace a color wheel with a Led light source will only have 1 Hdmi input instead of 2. Wouldn't it make since to only buy a television that has atleast 2 Hdmi inputs. Also do they make a receiver yet that has 1080p inputs and outputs.

Hello - I would choose the TV model with 2 HDMI inputs as you'll most definately need them both for your HD Digital Box and Upconverting DVD Player today, and perhaps your receiver, HD-DVD, PS3 or Blu-Ray tomorrow.

As for receivers, the Denon AVR-2807 and AVR-3806 both support 1080p HDMI switching.

It just depends on how much it costs to get a second HDMI socket and what other devices you have to connect. It could be more flexible and cost effective to just buy a switchbox. A sat\cable video receiver, DVD player, and an HD player can quickly justify the latter. A playstation or XBOX of the future may just compound the need for more inputs.

Just food for thought.

Also, keep in mind that many HDMI switching receivers will not work properly yet, since certain sources, like cable boxes, do not permit an HDMI signal to be repeated--that is, they will not allow their signal to pass through a switching receiver to the target display. They work as only point-to-point devices.

Another problem is that many displays with two HDMI inputs will not allow switching from one to the other without a complete reset. In other words, you have to turn these displays off and restart before accessing the second HDMI input.

A little, or a lot, of research would be necessary to get a list of affected components. I've had an HDMI switching product from Rotel in my system for a while, and I still don't know all of its limitations yet. I may never. I also have a DVI switch from Gefen that exhibits a few quirks when an unconverting DVD player is connected to it via HDMI>DVI cable.

Thread Information