AR Newbie Registered Member

1804, v740, or something else?

I'm building my first home theater system. I primarily listen to music so I intend to get my receiver and stereo speakers first. I'm in no big hurry to get the surround speakers. I'm looking for a reveiver that has 6.1 surround format and a phono input. I've narrowed it down to Denon's 1804 and Yamaha's v740. Any suggestions? Should I be looking at anything else?
    Thanks for your input!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Might help a bit more if you could give us your budget expectations, but judging by the 2 receivers you're considering, I can sort of estimate. You're off to a great start. I just did a lot of receiver shopping myself, and I was quite impressed with Harman Kardon's line as well. I think the AVR-230 or 330 are very good units as well. I just made the switch to Yamaha (RX-V1400) but prior to that I've always been a big fan of Marantz receivers, definitely take a look at they're line, they're feature packed and sometimes a bit cheaper than the other brands.
    You may also considet the RX-V750 (or even 650 if it has the features you need) on account of the parametric calibrating tool that they will have. Should be available very soon if not already.
    If you're dead set on the models you've listed, I think I'd take the RX-V740 over the avr-1804, but if you can get a better deal on the Denon go with it. I don't think the RX-V740 would be worth paying, say 70-80 bucks more, depending on prices in your area (then again, my statement is totally subjective so take it for what it's worth).
    Good luck!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks Kexodusc. My price limit is right around 500. Automatic calibration sounds very enticing.

wje
    Forum Regular
    The HTR-5760 (essentially equiv. to the RX-V650) can be had for $349 from some on-line vendors. Might be one of the best bargains at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I love Denon and have owned a few. However, I think I'd need $1,200 to get my next Denon AVR-3505.

cam

I am not bias

Quote Originally Posted by jbevans05
    I'm building my first home theater system. I primarily listen to music so I intend to get my receiver and stereo speakers first. I'm in no big hurry to get the surround speakers. I'm looking for a reveiver that has 6.1 surround format and a phono input. I've narrowed it down to Denon's 1804 and Yamaha's v740. Any suggestions? Should I be looking at anything else?
    Thanks for your input!
    I was upgrading from a technics receiver and I had no favourites when it came to upgrading. I had listened to the 1803 and the 740 side by side and I prefered the warm sound of the 1803. Especially at higher volumes where the 740 actually started to hurt my ears just like my technics use to. The 740 has pre-outs but I was looking for an all in one and that was it. One month later the 1804 went to market with the same warm sound I wanted, a little bit more power and OSD for the same price. Before my search I was looking for a warm sound, that is the only reason I chose the 1804 over the 740. I now most people think the yammys are more reliable, but that just was not enough for me to buy the yammy over the oh-so soothing warm denon sound.

Thread Information