Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    $1600 HDTV ready big screen versus $4000 plus HDTV's

    I just bought a Misutbshi 48" HD Ready TV for $1600 new and I am more than delighted with its performance. What I don't understand, and I'm sure plenty of people here who are more HDTV savy then me probably do, is what exactly in terms of picture quality are you getting when you pay super big bucks for I guess we're talking about plasma & LCD HD Ready TV's? If there is a difference are we talking about a major difference in picture quality, because as far as I'm concerned, my HD picture is perfect. I realize you're paying more in regards to the cosmetic design such as the plasma TV's you can hang on the wall and the hi tech designed HD's, but other than cosmetics what exactly are you paying so much more for? Let's make the assumption, these are all HD ready TV's not TV's with the HDTV tuner/receiver built in? I gots to know!

  2. #2
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Plasmas and LCD flat panels cost more because they are thin and can be wall-mounted. That's the main thing that drives their popularity. Plasmas at least also have better contrast and retain their picture quality in off-angle viewing.

    A CRT-based HDTV is big and bulky, and the viewing angle is narrower. Even LCD and DLP RPTVs are narrower (and cost more). If you don't mind the size of the cabinet, then you can get a great picture for less than half the price.

    As it stands, every type of HDTV has a major drawback of some kind. The type of HDTV that you buy depends on what you're willing to live with.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911
    To be honest, if I was rich, then money would be no object and of course I'd buy that plasma or LCD sets. But for middle class people like me, it just doesn't make much sense if you have a middle class budget to spend super big bucks on an LCD or plasma Tv if the ultimatate goal is viewing pleasure. In regards to the "bulkiness" my big screen HDTV is in the center of my living/family room and the space it occupies wouldn't be used for anything anyway, so I fail to understand people's idea of "bulkiness" being a hindrence. Its similar to me to the thin computer monitors. I admit I prefer the way they cosmetically look but other than that it wouldn't serve any useful purpose replacing my bulky monitor.
    Having said that, if I had the money, I'd have the wall mounted plasma TV's, for the cosmetic aesthetics.


    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Plasmas and LCD flat panels cost more because they are thin and can be wall-mounted. That's the main thing that drives their popularity. Plasmas at least also have better contrast and retain their picture quality in off-angle viewing.

    A CRT-based HDTV is big and bulky, and the viewing angle is narrower. Even LCD and DLP RPTVs are narrower (and cost more). If you don't mind the size of the cabinet, then you can get a great picture for less than half the price.

    As it stands, every type of HDTV has a major drawback of some kind. The type of HDTV that you buy depends on what you're willing to live with.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    To be honest, if I was rich, then money would be no object and of course I'd buy that plasma or LCD sets. But for middle class people like me, it just doesn't make much sense if you have a middle class budget to spend super big bucks on an LCD or plasma Tv if the ultimatate goal is viewing pleasure. In regards to the "bulkiness" my big screen HDTV is in the center of my living/family room and the space it occupies wouldn't be used for anything anyway, so I fail to understand people's idea of "bulkiness" being a hindrence. Its similar to me to the thin computer monitors. I admit I prefer the way they cosmetically look but other than that it wouldn't serve any useful purpose replacing my bulky monitor.
    Having said that, if I had the money, I'd have the wall mounted plasma TV's, for the cosmetic aesthetics.
    Actually though, the bulkiness is a huge hinderance to a lot of people going to a bigger TV. You're presuming that everybody lives in a single family home with a large family room. I used to live in an apartment in San Francisco, and I can tell you that the only way to fit a big screen TV into a lot of those odd shaped and small rooms with the big bay windows is by going with a flat panel of some kind. And there are technical advantages to plasmas as well, namely the off-angle picture quality.

    What's driving the whole move to flat panels both at home and on the desktop is the space savings and aesthetics. The design aspect with HDTVs is very important because they can overwhelm a room more than any other component except maybe the biggest of the big speakers. In a way, I look at this similarly to furniture. You can buy an expensive ultra stylized sofa or you can grab a basic starter sofa from a local discount store. The expensive one won't necessarily be more comfortable or seat more people, but it will look better and might fit in with the interior decor better.

    The twisted thing about the move to flat panels is that this is the one instance in home entertainment that I can think where the wives and significant others are pushing for the MORE expensive options. I was looking to buy a HDTV last Christmas because one of the 42" Mitsubishi models was on closeout, and my wife would have absolutely nothing to do with that. Too ugly, too big, no way that thing's going into our living room. But, she took one look at the plasmas and it was gimme one of those. So, I'm now saving up.

    I use a flat panel monitor at work because my desk is already too crowded. If I use a CRT monitor, it would force me to place it off to the side and crane my neck over to view it (that's a worker's comp suit in the making).

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911
    Wow, I thought you had an HDTV. Where did you live in San Francisco? I lived their between 1980-88 and lived in the Marina right next to the Presidio on Baker Street. Dan Fouts who QB'd the Chargers father lived down the block. I had a good deal on rent and was paying $575 for an average size 1 bedroom. God knows what they're charging now. Still having trouble relating to you about room space for a "bulky" big screen TV as maybe I've been fortunate as there has always been plenty of room in my living room. As I said, if money was no object I'd have a plasma TV hanging in all my rooms including the bathroom! Check out the Mitsubishi 48" TV's though- mine was $1600 amd i consider that a bargain. Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Actually though, the bulkiness is a huge hinderance to a lot of people going to a bigger TV. You're presuming that everybody lives in a single family home with a large family room. I used to live in an apartment in San Francisco, and I can tell you that the only way to fit a big screen TV into a lot of those odd shaped and small rooms with the big bay windows is by going with a flat panel of some kind. And there are technical advantages to plasmas as well, namely the off-angle picture quality.

    What's driving the whole move to flat panels both at home and on the desktop is the space savings and aesthetics. The design aspect with HDTVs is very important because they can overwhelm a room more than any other component except maybe the biggest of the big speakers. In a way, I look at this similarly to furniture. You can buy an expensive ultra stylized sofa or you can grab a basic starter sofa from a local discount store. The expensive one won't necessarily be more comfortable or seat more people, but it will look better and might fit in with the interior decor better.

    The twisted thing about the move to flat panels is that this is the one instance in home entertainment that I can think where the wives and significant others are pushing for the MORE expensive options. I was looking to buy a HDTV last Christmas because one of the 42" Mitsubishi models was on closeout, and my wife would have absolutely nothing to do with that. Too ugly, too big, no way that thing's going into our living room. But, she took one look at the plasmas and it was gimme one of those. So, I'm now saving up.

    I use a flat panel monitor at work because my desk is already too crowded. If I use a CRT monitor, it would force me to place it off to the side and crane my neck over to view it (that's a worker's comp suit in the making).

  6. #6
    Forum Regular Monstrous Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Its similar to me to the thin computer monitors. I admit I prefer the way they cosmetically look but other than that it wouldn't serve any useful purpose replacing my bulky monitor.
    I have spent many hours in front of a computer monitor both at work and at home since they were 12" black and white. I can tell you in all honesty that an LCD computer monitor (mine is 17" at home) is a pleasure for the eyes. I'm not sure what it is but there is much less strain looking at the LCD monitor for several hours.

    Ask anyone who owns one and the prices are reasonable now, too.

    And I am applying this to computer monitors only, LCD vs. CRT, not HDTVs.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •