Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    93

    The world's number one audiophile...

    http://www.avguide.com/news/2007/12/...e-audiophile//

    Saw this on another audio forum and thought I'd share...simply amazing gearhead here!
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~



    "Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

  2. #2
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056


    wow, that man lives in a museum

    Yeah, I could live with friends like that

    He even has Thiel CS2.3's!!!! just like me!!

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  3. #3
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Hummm ... yes, I envy Li

    Quote Originally Posted by jt1stcav
    http://www.avguide.com/news/2007/12/...e-audiophile//

    Saw this on another audio forum and thought I'd share...simply amazing gearhead here!
    What I really envy Ji Hui Li for, is the time he must have to actually listen to all that equipment and all those recordings.

    Apart for that, I would be very content with mikel's system and collection of 3500 LPs, 3500 CDs, and 500 SACDs, (at last count) ...
    http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

  4. #4
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Nice place. I say that, when all of us AR'ers get together to meet, we should meet there.

    Should I bring my copy of DSOTM or do you think he'll have that one?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  5. #5
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Nice place. I say that, when all of us AR'ers get together to meet, we should meet there.

    Should I bring my copy of DSOTM or do you think he'll have that one?
    Better bring it just in case it takes 4 hours to sift through the 4 million albums he has.

  6. #6
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    through the 4 million albums he has.

    200K albums actually
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727

    I'm with you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    What I really envy Ji Hui Li for, is the time he must have to actually listen to all that equipment and all those recordings.

    Apart for that, I would be very content with mikel's system and collection of 3500 LPs, 3500 CDs, and 500 SACDs, (at last count) ...
    http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html
    He can keep the gear! I'd just like to check out the music collection!
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

    The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

  8. #8
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Nice place. I say that, when all of us AR'ers get together to meet, we should meet there.

    Should I bring my copy of DSOTM or do you think he'll have that one?
    YES we should all meet there, and we should all be well armed, and with a BIG truck.
    I have DIBS on the utopia grands , the watt puppies, and anything with mark levinson
    stamped on it
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  9. #9
    Bill L
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1stcav
    http://www.avguide.com/news/2007/12/...e-audiophile//

    Saw this on another audio forum and thought I'd share...simply amazing gearhead here!

    From an musical/audio/equipment standpoint, this is the most incredible thing I have ever seen (or probably will ever see). If I hit the lotto, I will attempt to take a trip there.

    Bill
    Music:
    Magnepan 1.6 QR's, upgraded xovers
    B&K 125.2 reference amp
    SONY SACD 2000ES
    Technics direct drive TT

    HT:
    Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver
    Bang&Olofsun Penta Surrounds
    SONY Bravia 46" HD LCD

  10. #10
    seeking solace in music
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    84
    Mr Li must go through some slippers.
    I'd be happy enough having his full time audioman keep my own gear in working order.
    I wonder does he also warm up the toilet seat?

  11. #11
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,373
    He couldn't possibly have enough time in his life to listen and thoroughly enjoy all of that music or that gear, although it's certainly a nice collection, that's precisely what it does...it collects. This is not to say that he doesn't appreciate what he has, but personally if I had his top high end gear I wouldn't really need anything else, once you find something superior you shouldn't need 100's of other speakers laying around or other setups. I guess I would prefer putting all of my energy and time into one dedicated system.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    He couldn't possibly have enough time in his life to listen and thoroughly enjoy all of that music .
    As someone who collects music software (about 11,000 pieces at last count and rising rapidly), I'd like to address your comment above.

    99% of the people that see or hear about my music collection ask the same question... "how do you possibly find time to listen to all of that'? The expectation that I play each piece regularly is an understandable one, but not entirely accurate.

    The point is that if while I'm driving home, I think "hmm... tonight would be a good night to listen to the Art Ensemble of Chicago's Fanfare for the Warriors and then follow up with various blues from the 1920's and end the evening with some dark ambient from the Hafler Trio".

    The reward for collecting is that you never have to say "oops - can't listen to that one because I don't own it". When you say that, you correct it if you can. The point to collecting music is that you have access to whatever suits your fancy at the time your fancy needs suiting.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

    The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

  13. #13
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    The valid point

    Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    As someone who collects music software (about 11,000 pieces at last count and rising rapidly), I'd like to address your comment above.

    99% of the people that see or hear about my music collection ask the same question... "how do you possibly find time to listen to all of that'? The expectation that I play each piece regularly is an understandable one, but not entirely accurate.

    The point is that if while I'm driving home, I think "hmm... tonight would be a good night to listen to the Art Ensemble of Chicago's Fanfare for the Warriors and then follow up with various blues from the 1920's and end the evening with some dark ambient from the Hafler Trio".

    The reward for collecting is that you never have to say "oops - can't listen to that one because I don't own it". When you say that, you correct it if you can. The point to collecting music is that you have access to whatever suits your fancy at the time your fancy needs suiting.
    The valid point you make MOA, is that you can't listen to it if you don't have a copy. I can certainly relate to that.

    On the other had, there is no availability without procurement -- and payment. It is me, if not Mr. Li, impossible for me to buy music on the basis that I just might, someday, want to listen to it. I don't know about you, MOA.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The valid point you make MOA, is that you can't listen to it if you don't have a copy. I can certainly relate to that.

    On the other had, there is no availability without procurement -- and payment. It is me, if not Mr. Li, impossible for me to buy music on the basis that I just might, someday, want to listen to it. I don't know about you, MOA.
    Thats why the internet gods invented newsgroups.
    Mainly for free porn sure, but a lot of lossless material is on there too.
    I have downloaded several dozen albums to date in flac and ape, mostly Jazz,
    and a lot of classic albums complete with cover art.
    One thing about mr li, hes answered a question I, a poorass, have always asked.
    What would the house of a rich audiophile with unlimited funds look like?
    Now I know
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  15. #15
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Thats why the internet gods invented newsgroups.
    Mainly for free porn sure, but a lot of lossless material is on there too.
    I have downloaded several dozen albums to date in flac and ape, mostly Jazz,
    and a lot of classic albums complete with cover art.

    aren't those considerd being illegal?

    and 'downloading it' doesn't mean you have it. You have some tracks, you don't have the album, merely a scan from the front cover and maybe from the rear cover.

    go buy your music.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  16. #16
    Forum Regular Rock&Roll Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    aren't those considerd being illegal?
    Not in Sweden

  17. #17
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Thats why the internet gods invented newsgroups. Mainly for free porn sure, but a lot of lossless material is on there too.
    There is alot of free music in music newsgroups. That is where I get all of my MP3 also, for free. Most ISP provide free newsgroups to their customers, and most customers don't even know it.

    The good thing about music on newsgroups is that inventory is dynamic as it is updated on daily bases. As old posted mp3 get droped off, new postings are added.

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The valid point you make MOA, is that you can't listen to it if you don't have a copy. I can certainly relate to that.

    On the other had, there is no availability without procurement -- and payment. It is me, if not Mr. Li, impossible for me to buy music on the basis that I just might, someday, want to listen to it. I don't know about you, MOA.
    I never buy anything unless it's something I want to listen to. Owning the music is part of the fun - I won't lie about that - but listening to it is the reason I buy. My goal in life is to hear every piece of music worth hearing.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

    The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

  19. #19
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727

    Gosh!

    Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    I never buy anything unless it's something I want to listen to. Owning the music is part of the fun - I won't lie about that - but listening to it is the reason I buy. My goal in life is to hear every piece of music worth hearing.
    A semi-colon followed by a right parentheses somehow changed from a wink to a kiss! Hope you don't take offense. I assure you, I'm quite hetero and regardless I wouldn't look for love on an audio forum. LOL
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

    The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

  20. #20
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Heehee

    Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    A semi-colon followed by a right parentheses somehow changed from a wink to a kiss! Hope you don't take offense. I assure you, I'm quite hetero and regardless I wouldn't look for love on an audio forum. LOL
    None taken.

    As for acquisition, I intend to get a copy of everthing on my "Core Classical Composition" list, and a good many more besides. It's going to take me a while yet ...
    http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.html

  21. #21
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727

    Which ones are you missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    None taken.

    As for acquisition, I intend to get a copy of everthing on my "Core Classical Composition" list, and a good many more besides. It's going to take me a while yet ...
    http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.html
    I'd be curious to read your thoughts on the Xenakis. He's my absolute favorite, but he seems a little out of place on your list. The Bartok string 4tets are also close to my heart.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

    The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

  22. #22
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    None taken.

    As for acquisition, I intend to get a copy of everthing on my "Core Classical Composition" list, and a good many more besides. It's going to take me a while yet ...
    http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.html

    I was seeing some shostakovich works in there too, but I didn't see symphony n4...

    do you already have that?

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  23. #23
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    276

    Smile An old world audiophile

    I am new on this forum. I have a pair of James Lansing Hartsfields , Marantz 7c pre-amp , 10b tuner , McIntosh Mc275 power amp , Transcripter TT , with an SME arm , a Shure cartridge V15 , a Revox A77 tape deck Sony C701ES changer.

    My second system , a pair of AR3A speakers , Marantz 3800 pre-amp , 150 tuner , Dynaco 400 power amp, Pioneer CTF900 cassette , phillips cd recorder., Sony CX333ES
    CD changer, Thorens TD125 TT. , Shure V1511.

    Third system , Marantz 3800 pre-amp , Marantz Model 15 power -amp , toshiba DVD recorder , Sony television.

    Fourth system, One pair AR4AX speakers , Panasonic SAXR25 receiver , sony XAES CD
    player , Toshiba 5 disc dvd player , Go Video 2 deck VCR. Sony television.

    I have been involved in audio since 1958. have had a number of other audio components,
    Stephens, Bozaks , Fisher , Pilot , Empire, etc.
    Look forward to discussing audio with all of you.

  24. #24
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Nice

    Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    I am new on this forum. I have a pair of James Lansing Hartsfields , Marantz 7c pre-amp , 10b tuner , McIntosh Mc275 power amp , Transcripter TT , with an SME arm , a Shure cartridge V15 , a Revox A77 tape deck Sony C701ES changer.

    My second system ...

    Third system ...

    Fourth system ...

    I have been involved in audio since 1958. have had a number of other audio components,
    Stephens, Bozaks , Fisher , Pilot , Empire, etc.
    Look forward to discussing audio with all of you.
    Welcome to AR, Melv,

    WOW! Nice, mostly vintage systems you have there. Call me envious.

  25. #25
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    276

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Welcome to AR, Melv,

    WOW! Nice, mostly vintage systems you have there. Call me envious.
    You have an excellent audio system. I hope I can be of some help in later audio discussions, I was lucky enough in the old days to meet and speak with Rudy Bozak , Avery Fisher , Saul Marantz and several other audio giants of that period.

    There was once audio shows and various heads of the audio companies would visit the shows and discuss audio with the audiophiles.
    The equipment of today is better than years ago and a lot different , but than so is the music. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •