View Poll Results: Who's a Happy Camper?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm Good to Go! Lemme alone, I'm spinning tunes!

17 56.67%
  • Almost there! Just need a new cdp...and tt...amp...mebbe speakers...

11 36.67%
  • Content? CONTENT!!! I'll be content when I'm dead! It's a "hobby" you doughnut!

2 6.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    I've got some pre-amp lust, but otherwise I'm okay. Going to spin a few tonight. Have to check out an amp that I need to get back. Compare notes.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Since recently adding my Velodyne sub, I'm happy with my system and think of it as pretty much complete. To improve it would necessitate a significant upgrade in compenents and speakers and I won't have the money for that any time soon, but that's what putting money away into a mutual fund is for, right?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Introduce a new component?

"Hello CD player, meet the new DVD player" "He will be in charge of smacking your bottom whenever your left side drops off." "Hope you two will be very happy together."

Now where did I leave those cables to tie these two together?
    GMichael you never fail to make me laugh. A bondage and discipline stereo system. They did not learn that from me.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    GMichael you never fail to make me laugh. A bondage and discipline stereo system.
    Can't help myself sometimes. OK, most of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    They did not learn that from me.
    I'm sure they've been watching.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I am a happy camper. The next step is my super crossover which consist purely of snobby parts and with my snob attitute will be pure snob. Sure there are ways to improve them such as a foil only midrange, 6 more amps with a hand build active x-over and a room 4 times the size. My system is a work of art sonically and optically to me and i am a happy camper and just go further when it itches me.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    To improve it would necessitate a significant upgrade in compenents and speakers...
    Excellent point Paul. That's exactly what I was thinking. That and the fact that I just finished upgrading my entire system. I would like to piece together a cute lil system for the bedroom though.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I am a happy camper. The next step is my super crossover which consist purely of snobby parts and with my snob attitute will be pure snob. Sure there are ways to improve them such as a foil only midrange, 6 more amps with a hand build active x-over and a room 4 times the size. My system is a work of art sonically and optically to me and i am a happy camper and just go further when it itches me.
    Can't you get a few non-snob parts instead? Maybe just high-end or high-class, but still friendly parts?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I'm disappointed with you guys

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    For me, I'm pretty content right now and don't foresee any major changes save for equipment failure. This is not to say my rig if perfect, only that any improvements aren't important enough for me to spend money on.

Remember kids, this is just a snapshot in time. We won't hold you to this later .
    What? Content or almost so?

I'm not like the guy who turns over his whole system 3 times a year. My system sound very good indeed to me. Nevertheless I have the imagination to conceive that there might be something better.

"Better" has happened to me before, sometimes unexpectedly. For example, before my most recent amp upgrade: I had almost bought the line that all modern amps sound the same, but they don't as I discovered when I had the chance to hear something different. So it is that I have the controlled urge to research stuff that might be better. For the most part I have to be satisfied with just the research because I'm funds constrained, still I always hope for that advantageous upgrade.

Can't you get a few non-snob parts instead? Maybe just high-end or high-class, but still friendly parts?
    Well if i write that i'll get some crap from 3 or more sides so i'll admit it My crossovers consist of 2000$ for the parts alone. Hand selected, and build by me in a 6 chassy design.
    -Flo

Forum Regular
    The "next" nirvana is always just a tweak away.
    Denon 3802
    NAD C272
    Denon DVD2900
    Sci-Atlanta PVR8300HD
    Hitachi 51" HDTV
    Energy C-1 Centre
    Energy xl-26 mains
    Polk bookshelfs x4 surrounds
    Velodyne CHT-10
    Velodyne VX-10

Well if i write that i'll get some crap from 3 or more sides so i'll admit it My crossovers consist of 2000$ for the parts alone. Hand selected, and build by me in a 6 chassy design.
    -Flo
    $2000 in parts to built your own custom crossovers? Dude, that's a lot. Will they make that much of an improvement? Well, I guees if some can spend twice that on banana conectors.... or $250,000 on a pair of speakers. If it feels good, do it.

$2000 in parts to built your own custom crossovers? Dude, that's a lot. Will they make that much of an improvement? Well, I guees if some can spend twice that on banana conectors.... or $250,000 on a pair of speakers. If it feels good, do it.
    Well you have to see it in relation. My speakers cost in germany over 26000 bucks and are very rare. Since the speaker was build many years ago it today would retail many tens of thousands of dollars. And rightly so! Spening 2000$ on a crossover for a 1000$ speaker wont make much sense esp. since normal speakers have very easy crossovers. I will build one chassy for one driver section and use only the finest Caps, Foil-only spools and pure silver solder and silver internal wiring. Everything will then be hardwired to the chassy and filled with stones to absorb vibration and crosstalk of the spools.

I have modded the original Apogee crossover and the improvement was very dramatic across the board. I will post pictures of the work in progress once all the parts arive.

-Florian

Well you have to see it in relation. My speakers cost in germany over 26000 bucks and are very rare. Since the speaker was build many years ago it today would retail many tens of thousands of dollars. And rightly so! Spening 2000$ on a crossover for a 1000$ speaker wont make much sense esp. since normal speakers have very easy crossovers. I will build one chassy for one driver section and use only the finest Caps, Foil-only spools and pure silver solder and silver internal wiring. Everything will then be hardwired to the chassy and filled with stones to absorb vibration and crosstalk of the spools.

I have modded the original Apogee crossover and the improvement was very dramatic across the board. I will post pictures of the work in progress once all the parts arive.

-Florian
    I'm sure I would love how it all sounds. But I don't think I'll be putting that much into my system. Sounds like fun though.

Well everyone has to know how far to take this hobby, if you are happy at the point where you are now then thats great. I will spend a few bucks more

-Florian

Happy is a relative term. I do like how it sounds. I'm sure you liked yours when you were around this same level. But you wanted more. Me too, I'd like more. H.ll, I dream of upgrades every day. But there are too many other things that I need, instead of want. So I live with it for now. It's not so bad though. It still brings tears to my eyes during some recordings. Very enjoyable.

Right now, my next upgrade will be building a new house around my stereo to make it sound better. I'm planning where everything will go. Main speakers against this wall, sub over here, surrounds over there. How things will be at first, how they will be when I finally get the maggies. How will they be mounted. How the wires will be run before the walls even go up. A conduit to run future cables through. Changed where this, or that wall will be to help support the sound. Drapes to keep the sun out for the projector. Always keeping in mind how a change will affect how my sound system will end up sounding.

I have enjoyed almost all my system and same as you wanted more. I got lucky on most equipment and my dedication sometimes came close to insanity ;-) Before you start building you room i suggest you buy Cara and simulate your room in the computer through which you can walk in 3D and it tells you have the room problems it will have. I have to admit that i was not perfectly happy even with the 1.6 and the Pathos. The pure happieness only settled in with the Apogee Scintilla system. When i was in the US i had no choice to listen to anything but a Sony 555ES and Paradigm Atom speakers with a subwoofer and couldnt stand it, the reason i bought the Krell+3.6 setup eventough i knew i had to spend a grand on shipping it back home. I am picky, but i dont think its a bad thing.

I have enjoyed almost all my system and same as you wanted more. I got lucky on most equipment and my dedication sometimes came close to insanity ;-) Before you start building you room i suggest you buy Cara and simulate your room in the computer through which you can walk in 3D and it tells you have the room problems it will have. I have to admit that i was not perfectly happy even with the 1.6 and the Pathos. The pure happieness only settled in with the Apogee Scintilla system. When i was in the US i had no choice to listen to anything but a Sony 555ES and Paradigm Atom speakers with a subwoofer and couldnt stand it, the reason i bought the Krell+3.6 setup eventough i knew i had to spend a grand on shipping it back home. I am picky, but i dont think its a bad thing.
    Cara? Is that her whole name?

Utmostjamin1
    Well, I am fairly happy with my setup, ive jumped on some killer deals and gotten good equipment cheap, for Instance i got a Velodyne HGS-18 sub for $500 from a couple that didnt know what it was worth, they didnt even want to know what it was worth which is sad. I went from Radio Shack Linaum speakears to Klipsch Reference series.. for me that was a huge upgrade at the time. I remember when they dropped off the RF-7's I hooked them up and listen to music for about half a day straight and i loved it. they sounded so clean and alive.. my Rat Shack stuff was half decent with movies but the Klipsch had the side effect of getting me back into a music lover.
    My other stroke of luck was getting an Adcom GFA-7807 amp for $1000.00 brand new.
    Now with the Klipsch efficiency you would think the amp is overkill but the difference between my Onkyo receivers amp and this one was night and day.
    I also got a Steal on an Alesis DEQ-230D equalizer, I use that to tweak the bass a bit and cut the highs slightly for when i play it loud enough to knock the squirrels out of the trees.
    I run the EQ between my CD player and receiver with the Coax digital inputs. I used to use an old kenwood with analog inputs but it wouldnt sound right with the DSP modes etc. also no matter what i did the subwoofer sounded out of phase with the eq on.. now all that is gone as well. I think the EQ goes for over $400 new and i got it on ebay for $150 in excellent condition. My next move is to make a small case for it out of Oak so it will fit seamlessly into my rack... i dislike the rack handles on it and it is so light it moves around when trying to adjust it. My next item i want is a dedicated preamp instead of the Onkyo receiver. i really like the ROTEL RMB 1098 with its display and all but not sure if the sound improvement will be that great from my onkyo.. at least i wont have all the heat from the onkyo it runs hot all the time

Bottom line for us tweakers, we will never be totally happy with our stuff... but i think it is the tweaking itself we enjoy!
    Klipsch RF-7 fronts
    Klipsch RC-7 center
    Klipsch RS-7 surrounds
    Velodyne DD-15 Subwoofer
    Integra DTC 9.8 Preamp Processor
    ROTELRMB 1095 Multichannel amplifier
    Oppo DV-980 H
    Samsung BDP 1500
    Sony 80 GB Playstation 3
    Sony Bravia XBR 46" LCD HD-TV

Cara is a acoustic room design software. Have a look here

http://www.cara.de/ENU/index.html

Um,

Die CARA Test-DVD für digitalen Surround-Sound

Die CARA Test-DVD enthält zwei Video-DVDs ("DVD-1 Theorie" und "DVD-2 Tests"). Diese vermitteln Ihnen grundlegendes Wissen über die für die Akustik Ihrer Surround-Anlage relevanten Komponenten und deren Zusammenspiel bei der mehrkanaligen Musik- und Sprach*wiedergabe, also über die Lautsprecher, den Subwoofer und den digitalen Surround-Receiver.

Aufstellungshinweise und Anschlussprobleme werden eingehend diskutiert und mit ausgefeilten Testsignalen werden die optimalen Einstellungen für den Receiver und den Subwoofer gefunden.
    Einer der Hauptschwerpunkte liegt hierbei auf der Überprüfung und Anpassung der Bass-Managementfunktionen des digitalen Surround-Receivers, da es in diesem Bereich am häufigsten zu Fehleinstellungen kommt. Einige (insbesondere ältere) Surround-Receiver weisen Fehler im Bass-Management auf. Diese werden erkannt und es werden Möglichkeiten aufgezeigt, diese Fehler zu umgehen.

Interaktiv - illustriert - ausführlich - verständlich

Die CARA Test-DVD ist vollständig menügesteuert. So gelangen Sie schnell zu den gewünschten Informationen und rufen gezielt die jeweiligen Testsequenzen mit Ihrer DVD-Fernbedienung auf. Auch bei der Einstellung des Subwoofers werden Sie soweit unterstützt, dass Sie bei der (probeweisen) Pegel- und Polungseinstellung auf Ihrem Hörplatz verweilen können.

Alle Testsignale sind voll digital erzeugt und gemastert und bieten so eine extrem hohe Qualität.

Außer Ihrem Gehör, einem Meterstab und in seltenen Fällen einem einfachen Taschenrechner sind für eine erfolgreiche Überprüfung und Optimierung Ihrer Anlage keine weiteren Hilfsmittel erforderlich. Ein Pegel-Messgerät, wie z.B. der HiFish Audio Controller kann natürlich hilfreich sein, um noch genauere Ergebnisse zu erzielen.

Unter anderen werden auch folgende Fragen auf dieser DVD geklärt:

Können Surround-Anlagen auch Stereo perfekt wiedergeben?
    Welche Leistung muss ein Surround-Receiver haben?
    Passen 4-Ohm-Lautsprecher an meinem Receiver?
    Sind meine Lautsprecher „LARGE” oder „SMALL”?
    Wo steht der Subwoofer optimal, wie stelle ich den Pegel ein?
    Was muss ich bei zwei Subwoofern beachten?
    Welchen Kabelquerschnitt sollte ich benutzen?
    Funktioniert das Bass-Management meines Receivers korrekt?
    Und vieles andere...

Aufbau des DVD-Menüs

Beide DVDs ("DVD-1 Theorie" und "DVD-2 Tests") enthalten das Gesamtmenü, das entsprechend einer sinnvollen Abarbeitungs*reihen*folge strukturiert ist:

Einleitung (DVD-1 und DVD-2)
    Anschluss und Aufstellung der Lautsprecher (DVD-1)
    Grundeinstellungen am Receiver und Subwoofer (DVD-2)
    Die Grundeinstellungen im Receiver und Subwoofer werden erklärt und speziell für Ihre Anlage angepasst.
    Test und Feineinstellung der Lautsprecheranschlüsse (DVD-2)
    Hier werden alle Einstellungen mittels akustischer Tests überprüft und ggf. Feineinstellungen und Korrekturen durchgeführt.
    Überprüfung des Bass-Managements im Receiver (DVD-2)
    Dieses Kapitel enthält Tests zur Überprüfung der korrekten Funktionsweise des Bass-Managements. Bei Fehlern erhalten Sie Tipps, diese zu umgehen.
    Akustische Tests (DVD-2)
    Hier finden Sie Testsignale zum Auffinden von Resonanzen (mitschwingende Gegenstände) und zur Untersuchung raumakustischer Phänomene.
    Häufig gestellte Fragen (FAQ) und ihre Antworten (DVD-1)
    Glossar (DVD-1)
    Erläuterung der wesentlichen Fachbegriffe.

I don't read German very well.

The CARA Test DVD for Digital Surround Sound
    The CARA Test DVD is available in German language only.
    Please read the more detailed survey of the CARA Test DVD in German.

There must be a english version somewhere. Many use it that dont speak german.

Mhhh

It's getting there and that's a part of the fun even if it is just a small part.

Next up is getting some room treatment going. Soon I'll be posting some pics and looking for advice on how to get the most out of the room. Then I'm in need of some subwoofer help as it's probably dragging me down more than anything short of room issues. Finally I'll need to replace the AR DIYs currently being used as rears with some VS VR1's. I live as I preach, gradual updates when interest and money allow. I'm confident in the selections I make so they generally last a very long time and end up being exceptional values to me.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

That's 25 Ero right? That's about 30.50 us$ plus frieght. But they said I have to go through the US distributor. I would assume they have an English version if they are selling here. Not telling what a distributor may sell at. I'll email them.

Thanks

That's 25 Ero right? That's about 30.50 us$ plus frieght. But they said I have to go through the US distributor. I would assume they have an English version if they are selling here. Not telling what a distributor may sell at. I'll email them.

Thanks
    Your welcome, i am waiting for mine. I got it from my friend in Jamaica which ironically still comes me cheaper then buying it from my own country.

-Flo

Quote Originally Posted by feanor
    What? Content or almost so?

I'm not like the guy who turns over his whole system 3 times a year. My system sound very good indeed to me. Nevertheless I have the imagination to conceive that there might be something better.
    Who's talking about a lack of imagination? Brother, I've heard better than my system (it isn't hard, my rig ain't all that). However, I currently don't have any plans to take it to the next level. It isn't because I can't conceive improvements and thankfully, it has nothing to do with financial constraints. Right now, I'm content with the way it is and there are far more interesting things for me to spend my cash on right now .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Next up is getting some room treatment going. Soon I'll be posting some pics and looking for advice on how to get the most out of the room. Then I'm in need of some subwoofer help as it's probably dragging me down more than anything short of room issues. Finally I'll need to replace the AR DIYs currently being used as rears with some VS VR1's. I live as I preach, gradual updates when interest and money allow. I'm confident in the selections I make so they generally last a very long time and end up being exceptional values to me.

jc
    You actually need a sub with the jr's ?!? Holy smokes Jim, is your room huge or do just like a lot of bass?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information