Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

long ago and far away

the radio was always on, i remember les paul and mary ford back in the late forties when i was 4 or 5 and as years went on, everything was on the radio as there were only a couple of stations (unlike the choices of today).

bing crosby, early frank sinatra, sabre dance (?khachatourian), doris day, dinah shore, ellington, ad infinitum.

my father was a bassist but died when i was 5 but mom loved music and it was ever present.

yeah, elvis, carl perkins, and later duane eddy, link wray, the ventures, buddy holly, ritchie valens. on the radio in buffalo was the "hound" who was the inspiration for wolfman jack.

a friends father built a stereo cabinet and put radio shack or allied radio components in it and the SOUND got my attention.

over in guam, while in the air force, the guys had great sounding systems in their rooms and i realized that components were the way to go.

after bieng in california for a while, i decided to go to pacific stereo and get some. between ar4Xs and dyna a25s, the dynas were MUCH better.

evolution went on ever since and continues today, especially in musical interests.
    ...regards...tr

My ******* piano instructor in college.
    I believe his name was Conflenti.

All I wanted to do was get high and play how I wanted while keeping the scholarship.
    All we ever did was get into verbal wars every mondays at 2:30PM.
    After 2 semester I quit playing and actually started listening to music, instead of replicating how it was meant to be played.
    I think that's one of aspects that I love about Jazz. I dont get high anymore though...

For the gears, my Paradigm dealer.
    I went to the store planning to purchase BOSE cuby system. He told me to listen to speakers he had as long as I wanted. Thank you Mr. Toads!!!

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    For the gears, my Paradigm dealer.
    I went to the store planning to purchase BOSE cuby system. He told me to listen to speakers he had as long as I wanted. Thank you Mr. Toads!!!

JRA

I should thank my dealers too in the beginning there was Dilis, a more normal shop, with not too much high end gear, but he got me into this too

and for about a year now, Serge & Sammy at Alpha in antwerp, thank you guys, you've been really helpful (and still are)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I also credit my older brother.

My parents were musical too -- mom was a music teacher, and dad had a great stereo setup -- but I didn't really identify with their tastes in music when I was a kid.

It was my older brother who really turned me on to all kids of cool stuff. He taught me how to use dad's turntable and tape deck at a very young age, and he accumulated a pretty big record collection himself. He also picked up the guitar and joined a band (which I did as well).
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

I grew up in a musical family where my dad played the button accordian. Whenever we got together with our relatives they would play waltzes and polkas as my dad's brothers all learned an instrument, banjo, violin, accordian, drums. Later on they formed a band which gave me access to a tube amp and home made speakers hooked up to an RCA stereo, in my teens. As I was learning to play drums I would play my drums to rock music.

What got me started with my own taste or identity of music was when one of our neighbors stole two lp's and left them at our place. One was the Troggs and the other was Best of Deep Purple. I liked Deep Purple which was different than anything I heard up until that time, particularly the song 'River Deep Mountain High'. After that I was hooked on hard rock. Then came stuff like In-a-godda-da-vida and Deep Purple-Made in Japan, my all-time favorite album.

As for electronic music, my friend got my hooked on that when we went job hunting out of High school, to Edmonton. He would listen to cool stuff like Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis.

When I moved back to Saskatoon shortly after, I bought my first stereo which was a Bryston 2B amp, Technics TT, Hafler pre-amp, ESS speaker Model 10 and Stax headphones. It all got stolen from my apt. except for the speakers and TT. After that I just used a ghetto blaster or listened to car audio while driving taxi. Then I sold my taxi (another story) and built my home theatre stereo system. I should have paid off my taxi debt's right away, but having a stereo was more important.

Suspended
    Live in Japan, is great. Maybe not my all time favorite, but up there on the list to be sure.

Hey, we grew up pretty close to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    ... They used to have a crappy PA system that would play an AM radio station each night. 770 I think "the new WABC." .
    I grew up in the 60's as well but I listen to WMCA home of the "GoodGuys" during the golden age of AM Top 40 radio in NY City. Mom loved music. She wore out certain albums, most notably "Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall". Dad loved the blues, gut bucket, delta blues... blues so black they were blue. I grew up around music. I was also lucky enough to be at the mid-end of the baby boom generation.

Back then all schools had music programs and you were required to take something if it was nothing but chorus. I learned to play stand up bass in Junior High and have been playing music for money off and on since Johnson was President. (or maybe Nixon had taken over).

As for stereo, that was/is all self taught. I just knew I needed more bass than my 9 volt transistor radio was giving me. Now I feel pretty good about the sound I get at home.

Da Worfster

so I got 2 red chicklets for the same post here in this thread...
    with one minute difference between them...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I first developed my appreciation for music through my cousin when I was in the 6th grade. I would visit him and he had all types of music. Music from artists that I never heard of, and learned to appreciate the sound of music. I started buying stereos and other equipment to produce the best sound. However I was still limited. After meeting my wife, who's a serious music/artist lover; I learned to enjoy the different types of music. Before I limited myself to Rap and R&B, but after being with her I now listen to POP, Jazz, Country, Rock, Rap, Gospel, R&B, and much more.

Its amazing what you can enjoy once you become open to it...

I would say my older siblings, they were all into music. I was in elementary school when they were in middle school/high school, and so I would always be surrounded by whatever they were listening to. This was the 90's so anything from pixies/radiohead/blur/oasis to stuff like supertramp, phil collins and daft punk. This means I had *slightely* different music tastes than my school mates, and always figured I had 'grown up' tastes. Both my sisters played piano which in turn led me to enjoy classical piano, which I love and I miss hearing at home as they are both living afar. My love for music has kept growing ever since

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information