Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ldgibson76
    What's funny is the more I learn, the more I recognize that the creative aspect is starting to diminish, especially in the pop and r&b and even the "rock" segments. Not true for all, because you can find examples of great creativity across all genres, but for the most part, it's becoming a rarity or an exception. Ask yourself this.....How often do you come across a song today that you think will become timeless?!!!! I bet not as often as you used to! And contrary to popular believe, not all Hip Hop or Rap is bad!
    Regards!
    Regards back atcha

I don't know if I fully agree that the creative aspect is necessarily diminishing, but maybe stunted by the goals of media corporations. You'll never see another Rolling Stones or Beattles as it's not in their best interest. I seriously doubt that in the age of prefab, pre-written itunes from boy bands and Britney that it's a coincidence that you rarely see a third effort from a major. I mean, really, how long do you expect Daughtry to be around? They wanna sign kids to ****ty backloaded contracts and ditch before they have to pay out dollars for major units. On to the next cookie cutter shiite, oh, and by the way, Johnny Rezenick and Brian VanderArk, you owe us 150k apiece, thanks for the platinum albums...

Fortunately there's still a ton of talent out there and a lot of interest in the arts, albeit not always in a form that we might prefer. "Indie" doesn't always refer to rock and the internet has become a bullhorn of word-of-mouth. A new business model is emerging you just have to be willing to reach out and grab it...and this site and those like it are good places to start. More on topic but inkeeping with this rambling, check out Slumpy's excellent response over in RR: http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...d=1#post236457

I recently posted a thread directed to Swish with a clip from a kid that mixed some hip-hop with some indie. I did this, well, to piss off Swish but if you think about it here's someone whose musical knowledge base is wide enough to include a variety of styles that exceeds many from around these parts. I'm not asking anyone to like it...I wouldn't actually buy it, okay maybe I would but I buy everything...but let's at least acknowledge that if R&R is a musical form based on angst and emotion and youth and energy that there are folks that are attempting to express themselves in ways with which they are most familiar. Never forget, in America we no longer educate kids in music just multi-culturalism.

Bottom line, we've always had the same seven notes to play around with. I like checkin' out everyone's rendition.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I heard a jazz guitatist the other day, am going to order some of her CD'S
    Emily rehmer is the name.
    I have always loved jazz guitar.
    Hey Pix,

If your Sammy or Sony play SACD check out this disc by Wes Montgomery. Truly outstanding.

I spend most of my time in the office listening to dance, trance, and house.

I spend most of my time in the car listening to smooth jazz.

I spend most of my time at home listening to well-wrought multichannel music of virtually any genre or down in the music room with 60s through 90s rock or orchestral music.

At night I listen to Chill Out or Zen Buddha mixes.
    I like sulung tang.

Forum Regular
    If it makes noise......and it's recorded well it's fair game!

Jazz, some classical, progressive acoustic music, prog rock.

ECM recordings are especially well recorded- ear candy!
    Rotel RSX-1056 AV Receiver
    Rotel RDC-1072 CDP
    B&W 603S3 Mains
    B&W LCR-300 Center
    B&W DM 610 Surrounds
    Kimber Hero and Tara Labs ICs

Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma

Sony DVD DVP NS700P

well,

jazz, pretty much all jazz goes
    rock, but only quality rock, the regular/popular stuff like fall out boy barely make it to my pc system, and are not played on my main setup at all. also alternative rock, some grunge, soft rock, etc... I do not like rock & roll (like elvis, and stuff like 'rock around the clock tonight', or whatever that title was...)

funk, latin jazz, latin music in general, cuban jazz, experimental electronical music (i.e. Trentemoller), world music, some 'pop', some classical (esp 20th century), some blues, ...

Alot

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by TriMe

I want to hear this Pink Floyd / Dark Side of the Moon A cappella.... up until they were stolen when I was in college I had a collection of every vinyl ever released from Pink Floyd with original copywrite dates.
    Niicceee...

As a sidenote, it's good to read that more than a few like electronica/techno/industrial. That seems to be a genre that sees the light of day rarely 'round these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by TriMe
    Before you all go jumping down my throat, I get that he is an American Classic,

Uh NO. Neil is a Canadian.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Oiy loik Everyfink.

80s
    And you may find yourself..living in a chat on chat, and you may find yourself in anonther part of the world, behind the wheel of a large audtomobile, and you may find yourself in a beautiful house.. with a beautiful wife, and you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here? Letting the days go by... Same as it ever wus, Time is inefluous...Once in a Lifetime Talking Heads

"Toto, I don't think were in Kansas any more. I was walking on Broadway you know and there was this incredible Swedish girl having a cappucino across the street from Lincoln cener, I started talkin' to here you know an she said her name was Lola....Her English wasn't too good, you know but we wound up spending aboutr five hours together just hanging out together you know, so we go back to my place and get high and get really into each other man an, it was love about to happen, I'm serious...and then all of a sudden she gets up and says, she says hey, I've really got to leave...dalm A..E...I...O...U
    Ebn and Ozn

Classless
    'AAAhy, wanna beeee, Anarchy. Aayy am the antichrista, I am an anarchista...'; SexPistols

Plain Odd
    'Ground control to Major Tom' 'My little China Girl' - Bowie
    'Sit on my face, and tell me that you love me...' , 'LumberJack Song' - Monty Python
    Tom Waits - 'orrible, but interesting

Japanese Classical
    I've got some stuff that is so beautiful that it entrances me. The band Hiroshim do some really cool things with traditional instruments in an 80s sort of way.

R&B
    Lu Lu Lovey Dovey, I used to think that I was so silly then, all that kissing and stuff, that was just too much, then you came along and gave my heart a brand new song..yehh Its that lovey dovey feeling I get when I'm with you, its that lovey dovey feeling I get, its so true..
    ToniTonyTone??

Classical
    Too many, but Bach can really send me man

Chazz
    Kenny G - JUST KIDDING!!
    Oscar Peteresen - now your talkin, mind you Art Tatum was no slouch
    Chet Baker - do it the Hard Way
    Wes Montgomery
    George Shearing
    Milt Jackson
    Mose Allison
    Miles
    Coltrane
    Adderly
    Bird
    I don't know - just too much to count

Weird but beautiful
    Hildergard of Bingen
    Chant - tallis etc

Irish
    Clancy Brothers
    Dubliners
    Altan
    Celtic Woman
    many more

Rock
    Van Halen
    Steve Vai
    Joe satriani
    Frank Gamballi
    Whitesnake
    Deep Purple

Afghan
    Ahmad Wali
    Haidar Salim
    Sammey Jan
    Sammey
    Fahrad Daria

Indian
    Jagjit Singh
    Punjabi Bangra
    Ravi Shankar
    many more

Country
    A'm waitin oun the Suun to set, cus yesterdaiy aint over yiet.. I started smokin cigarettes theres nothin else to do ah guess... A'm givin up oun luuv - luuv's givin up oun me... Miranda Lambert "Kerosene"
    etc etc

Music for Arseholes (Like me)
    Roger Whittaker - I like his voice and songs a lot
    Gilbert O'Sullivan - Classic and I love his music
    Ken Dodd - If your English and in your 40s or over - you'll know who Ken Dodd is
    Cliff Richards
    Garry glitter
    The Bay City Rollers
    Abba
    The Carpenters
    Last edited by O'Shag; 04-10-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Music / Hi-Fi enthusiast Les Adams's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Oiy loik Everyfink.

Cliff Richards

Not that I am a fan, but you just did one of my pet hate things... it is Cliff RICHARD ! There is no "S" on the end.

By the way, I love Barbara Streisands, Neil Diamonds, Aretha Franklins and Tom Joness, Not to mention Gladys Knights.
    STEREO

Garrard 401 Turntable mounted in Skeletal Oak Plinth /
    Ringmat 330 MKII XLR
    SME 3009-S2-imp Arm (Fixed shell)
    Shure V15Vxmr Cartridge
    Trichord Dino Phono Stage
    Arcam Alpha 8SE CD Player / Ringmat CDi Blue
    Quad 99 Pre-amp
    Quad 909 Power Amp
    Audiovector M2 Loudspeakers
    Silverlink Aero Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

AV
    Denon AVR3801A/V Receiver (pre out to aux input of Quad 99 for front L + R)
    JBL Centre Speaker
    Gale Satellites for rear L + R

Interconnects are Van Den Hul 102 mk3

Suspended
    I never thought I'd like Neil Diamond. I ended up with a couple vinyls in one batch or another and cleaned them off for a spin just out of curiosity, I was extremely entertained, first off the production and sound was incredible, the arrangements are phenominal, he can go from a sweet quiet passage and then explode with his powerful voice, he is also versatile. This doesn't apply to all albums though, since I was so impressed I pick up his albums out of the thrift stores or whatever to try and there were a few I didn't keep.

Les you should look for some early Candy Staten albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I never thought I'd like Neil Diamond. I ended up with a couple vinyls in one batch or another and cleaned them off for a spin just out of curiosity, I was extremely entertained, first off the production and sound was incredible, the arrangements are phenominal, he can go from a sweet quiet passage and then explode with his powerful voice, he is also versatile. This doesn't apply to all albums though, since I was so impressed I pick up his albums out of the thrift stores or whatever to try and there were a few I didn't keep.

Les you should look for some early Candy Staten albums.
    Isn't it crazy how horrible Neil sounds on CD, but on Vinyl, he's a different beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Adams
    Not that I am a fan, but you just did one of my pet hate things... it is Cliff RICHARD ! There is no "S" on the end.

By the way, I love Barbara Streisands, Neil Diamonds, Aretha Franklins and Tom Joness, Not to mention Gladys Knights.
    Sorry Les - didn't mean to get your gander up. Got out of the wrond side of the bed this morning did we?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information