• 12-18-2006, 01:46 PM
    SummerSoft
    What system for this stlyle of music?
    Hi all!

I've decided to get a new amp and speakers. I'll think of CD player, cables and other things later. in a few months..

I realy love sound of an upright bass on Dynaudio 62 or 72 speakers, but when it comes to vocals (I have heared only the 62) I don't find them that good. Yet, electric bass in R'n'B, Funk and Soul seems to lack something with those Dynaudios.
    I was also thinking of Jolida JD1501 hybrid amp.

I'd like to get the best amp/speakers combination for acoustic jazz like
    Diana Krall,
    Ella,
    Louis,
    Miles,
    Ray Brown
    Count Basie

and for music like
    Erykah Badu,
    Me'shell NdegeOcello,
    Marvin Gaye,
    Stevie Wonder,
    Prince,
    Funkdadelic,
    P-Funk,
    Bob Marley...

speakers should be in $1000-$1600 retail range, new
    and amp in $500-$750 retail range, new.

So, what speakers and amps do you think I should test? I'd like to have a list of 5-10 amps and 5-10 speakers to test.

Oh, and my new room will be about L:5,5m W:4m H:2,5m

Thank you a lot for helping me
  • 12-18-2006, 03:24 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Hey, hey, hey! Welcome aboard. You should listen to a larger sampling of speakers. No matter what is suggested to you it's your ears that you have to satisfy.:cool:

FWIW: I suggest Magneplanar MMG's and a Dayton Titanic powered sub woofer.
    MMG's are only available direct from Magnepan
    Dayton Titanic sub woofers are available at www.partsexpress.com
    The Titanic's are kits that even a "caveman" can assemble.:ihih:
  • 12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
    Mr Peabody
    What was driving the Dyn's when you listened? Nothing in your price range would drive them adequately. Much of what you get from a recording will come from a good source. I think your budget is backwards. Spend $1k or more on a good amp, that's if you already have a good playback source. Then what's left use that on speakers. You think like most here, but your speakers aren't going to create something from nothing. You have to start with a good source signal and maintain it the best you can until it reaches the speakers, and then hopefully they will deliver.

In a second system I drive some Audience 60's with an Adcom gfa-5400 and they do great bass but have some nazzle in he mids and hash in the highs, the problem with Dynaudio is their speakers actually don't cost enough. They perform like speakers costing much more, so people tend to pair them with inadequate electronics and then blame the speakers. It's not the speakers fault they are honest, that's their job. Back to the Adcom, my system is not perfect but I've heard these speakers with better amps and know, it's not the speakers fault.

Check out the Dyn's with an Arcam or Creek integrated amp. I''m not sure of the price but you might want to check out PS Audio. There are several amps I like but not many dynamic speakers do I like as much as Dynaudio. Paradigm is pretty good.
  • 12-18-2006, 09:01 PM
    Mike Anderson
    I second the Magnepan suggestion, unless you really, really want a lot of punch in the bass.

Expand your price range a little, and you can get the MG1.6/QRs. With a powerful amp and the right set up, those have a decent amount bass, and will serve the acoustic jazz with a beautiful amount of detail.
  • 12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
    SummerSoft
    Thanks guys!

I think I listened to Dynaudio with Onix (it was first time I saw that amp).

I have never listened to planar speakers (I never belived in them :o ) but I was thinking of a system without a sub woofer if possible.. so if you have some sugestions without the sub...?

and Mr Peabody, do you think that Jolida JD1501 is not strong enough for Dyn's, or it's simply not good enough?

thanks again
  • 12-28-2006, 03:11 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I have not heard Jolida. I read a review of the 1501 where the reviewer drove a pair of Contour 1.3se with no complaints, the review was glowing, so I'd say it could drive Dyn's. I just didn't understand what you didn't feel was right with Funk since bass has always been a strong point with Dynaudio. My comments was more of a warning than anything. The 1501, according to the review, seems like a good value.
  • 12-29-2006, 10:43 AM
    SummerSoft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I have not heard Jolida. I read a review of the 1501 where the reviewer drove a pair of Contour 1.3se with no complaints, the review was glowing, so I'd say it could drive Dyn's. I just didn't understand what you didn't feel was right with Funk since bass has always been a strong point with Dynaudio. My comments was more of a warning than anything. The 1501, according to the review, seems like a good value.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVED the sound of (upright) bass through Dyn's, but when listening to say, Erykah Badu Live or Me'shell NdegeOcello it seemd to be lacking something.. like guts.
    Maybe it was the amp or the CD player :confused:
    You haven't noticed something like that with your Dyn's?

And do you guys know of some other good hybrid amps in under $1000 range?
  • 12-29-2006, 04:52 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I haven't noticed that. Which amp was it? From the review, I'd be surprised if it was the 1501. It had to be either the amp or the recording. As I mentioned the Dyn's are very neutral, not adding or taking anything from the signal it's fed. Even Adcom has a big bass sound through a pair of Audience 60's. You might take a listen to Adcom separates, you could probably get a preamp and 125 wpc power amp for around that $1k mark. For Funk, R&B, you may want to stick with solid state or hybrid, it takes power and current to recreate good bass.
  • 12-29-2006, 11:49 PM
    anamorphic96
    What did your previous system consist of ?

I use the Audience 42's. Which are the smallest bookshelves Dynaudio makes and the bass is still very impressive. Very tight and clean with great punch. Amazing for such small speakers.

I agree with Mr. Peabody as well. Sticking with solid state electronics would be a good thing with Dynaudio. They tend to be a bit more demanding and like alot of current behind them to sound there best.

The NAD C372 might be a nice choice. It's 899 and delivers alot of current and would work very well with your taste in music. Especially in the bass department. I use the NAD C352 and the bass as mentioned above is terrific.
  • 12-31-2006, 08:44 AM
    pkats
    Welcome to the forum. For your type of music I think you might be better-off with a sub than without, especially if you are worried about "guts". If a sub is out of the question then Dynaudio Audience 72 (probably a little more than $1600) has pretty good punch with the right amp and the highs are outstanding. I think Monitor Audio RS8 would be a good choice also (for around $1500). Great for jazz and R&B with good tight bass punch and great articulation. Recently heard Vandersteen 2ce and they sounded very nice, also with good tight punchy bass and guts (although IMHO not great-looking speakers). I think they retail for about $1650. Also check out Paradigm models Studio 60 & Studio 100.

For amps I would stick with solid state, preferably over 100 wpc for - again - "guts".
    Hope this helps. Keep us posted and get out there and listen. I am currently in the hunt for new speakers and just when I think I have it narrowed down I go auditioning again and find something more amazing. I think this will end soon because I am running out of audio stores!
  • 12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
    Rock789
    anthem pva 2 or mca 20 for an amp...
    perhaps check out some B&K amps as well...

for speakers, check out focal jm lab chorus s or v, the 706 or 707 bookshielfs, or a 716 or 726 floor stander... these sound nice with jazz imo..

the cobolt series or profile series may be a good for jazz, but I have not auditioned either of them with jazz (and they are more expensive series')
  • 12-31-2006, 12:31 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I know it's difficult to put sound into words but you basically gave the same description for Dyn, Monitor & Vandersteen. The only reason I'm pointing this out is because Vandersteen has a very unique sound and people either love it or hate it. I'm not familiar with Monitor but I know Vandie's sound nothing like Dyn's. My personal opinion of Vandersteen is that I found them tolerable on Classical but anything else the bass sounded muddy and the highs rolled off. Although I'd consider the Vandie mids colored the Vifa mids are still pleasing to listen to. Vandies are an acquired taste and anyone considering owning them had better listen before leaping.
  • 01-02-2007, 12:22 PM
    pkats
    Mr P., didn't mean to suggest they all sounded the same, because they certainly don't. And didn't mean to start a new thread comparing different speakers, just giving suggestions based on listening taste, price, and comments in original thread.

Summersoft, let us know how the search goes.
  • 01-02-2007, 01:43 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Pk, forget about it, I was trying to clarify and hopefully inform, in my typical long winded way.