Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar
    Well actualy I need speakers now or the receiver and I have already decided what I want and it's eather the HLS610 or the Onkyo so I just need your help on which is the best to buy.
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

I really liked the sound of the HLS series.
    Dallas's Forums

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I believe the answer was neither.

And you like the HLS? Out of curiosity what else have you listened to? With $150, if you just saved a little more, you could get MUCH better quality speakers.

Also, any chance you can shrink that giant picture in your sig?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Have you ever heard of delayed gratification?

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Well actualy I need speakers now or the receiver and I have already decided what I want and it's eather the HLS610 or the Onkyo so I just need your help on which is the best to buy.
    NEED? Is there something wrong with your current speakers or receiver? Are they malfunctioning? If not, then you what you mean is that you WANT either new speakers or a receiver.... the advice given to you by noddinoff is the best.... be patient and listen to multiple speakers....

But since you seem intent on tossing around some cash.... then buy the Onkyo now to satisfy your craving to 'upgrade'.....

You already have a receiver and speakers, so how can you possibly "need" more speakers or another receiver NOW?

Jeff
    Last edited by Blue Meanie; 01-14-2007 at 12:00 PM.
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410 and the HLS410's grills are not looking good as new but the sound is still like new. My mom did say that she can buy her own receiver but I dont know when. The HLS410 do work perfectly fine but just looks sorta like its old. So if I get a new receiver then I can use my HLS410 now but if I get the HLS610 then I can use my own amp and she will have to buy her own right now. What do you guys think is the best? Should I keep my HLS410 and get the Onkyo receiver or get the HLS610 and keep my receiver and my mom gets her own.
    Dallas's Forums

I think you should do neither and follow the advice given to you.

Mr. Bamboo Forest,

You dont neccesarily have to listen to everything you buy as long as you know what to look for.

If you like, we can spend your money and buy a pair of speakers for you.

I'm gonna regret this...no I already do.

$150.00 will never, ever, never-ever, under any circumstances, beyond a shadow of a doubt never, qualitatively improve your sound. Take your money and put it in your pink piggie bank or under the mattress or in a shoe box,. Save your money until you have more and then can afford something that will be better than what you already have. In the the meantime work on the steps listed earlier.. Seriously.

And take it easy on your mom. She didn't abandon you at birth.

Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410 and the HLS410's grills are not looking good as new but the sound is still like new. My mom did say that she can buy her own receiver but I dont know when. The HLS410 do work perfectly fine but just looks sorta like its old. So if I get a new receiver then I can use my HLS410 now but if I get the HLS610 then I can use my own amp and she will have to buy her own right now. What do you guys think is the best? Should I keep my HLS410 and get the Onkyo receiver or get the HLS610 and keep my receiver and my mom gets her own.
    How about this? Since the grills look tired on your old speakers, why not just take off the grills and save your money?

Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410 and the HLS410's grills are not looking good as new but the sound is still like new. .

I defy anyone to diagram the sentence above.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks

Well the problem is if I dont get my receiver back then I have no receiver right now. I am just using a computer speakers amp to power up my HLS410. I opened the back of the computer speakers and took the wires inside that were powering the little speakers to hook them up to my JBL's. So eather way I need to get something so I wanted to know if I should get a new Onkyo receiver or get my receiver back and get the HLS610 and my mom did say she can buy her own receiver. If I got the HLS610 then I would get more bass when I get my receiver back. But I guess I need to know which is the best to do for now. I can say using the computer speakers amp doesnt sound good at all that's for sure.
    Dallas's Forums

Well I would say you're better off getting your receiver back from your mom (who bought it, you or her?) and then saving to buy some better speakers. If you step past $200 a pair you can get some pretty damn good speakers for your money if you want to buy new. Paradigm, Axiom, AV123.com, HTD (know nothing about them but I keep hearing about them), Athena and a number of other companies have offerings around $200 or a little higher.

On the other hand you should also consider buying used. You can get much better bang for your buck that way in most cases, and audiogon (or ebay even) are worth looking at if you are interested in buying used.

Now, I do realize I just wasted my breath but in case you read all that and really consider your options, I think you'll find people here are trying to suggest much better ways to spend your money if you spend any at all.

Well actualy I can't right now get my receiver back since she needs it now. If I take it then she has no receiver to watch her movies. She said that if I buy the speakers instead then she will buy a receiver but it might take some time. But do you guys think I should get the speakers or the receiver??? I have to pick one. The Pioneer receiver is mine I bought it 4 years agao.
    Dallas's Forums

What's yours is yours, take your damn receiver back and save for some decent speakers. Don't short-change yourself!

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ow! my sides hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    ow! ow! stop! I can't breath,.,

Yeah!

What's yours is yours, take your damn receiver back and save for some decent speakers. Don't short-change yourself!
    What do you owe her, anyway?

It's only your mother who didn't abort you, grew you in her womb, nursed you through your sicknesses, paid for your upkeep, and raised you to what you are today (well, nobody's perfect).

(and we wonder why some animals eat their young?)

Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410
    Understood. You're 22. You still live with mommy. You don't have a job. Are you too mentally f*cked up to hold down a job, or what's the deal?

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    What do you owe her, anyway?

It's only your mother who didn't abort you, grew you in her womb, nursed you through your sicknesses, paid for your upkeep, and raised you to what you are today (well, nobody's perfect).

(and we wonder why some animals eat their young?)
    There's treating your mom right, and then there's letting your mother walk all over you. Doesn't her TV have speakers? She doesn't need his receiver to watch movies then if it does.

ScrewingVanillaice... do you have a job?

There's treating your mom right, and then there's letting your mother walk all over you. Doesn't her TV have speakers? She doesn't need his receiver to watch movies then if it does.
    Which begs the question, who paid for this stuff in the first place?

By the time I was 22, (in 1972) I was in and out of the Air Force, less than a year from moving out of home for my own place, and was working on my third receiver, all bought and paid for by yours truly. ...and I bought mom and dad their first color TV.

Nowadays, one can pick up a starter HT receiver for < $150. That would have made a nice Xmas gift for mom, he could have gotten his receiver back, and be using his 410's. ...everybody wins.

I guess they just make young' uns different today.
    Last edited by markw; 01-14-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Angry

Ok you guys are getting off track I am just asking which is better to get out of the two if that was the only choices?? The receiver or the speakers. Please don't get off track since I am serious about this.
    Dallas's Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    Understood. You're 22. You still live with mommy. You don't have a job. Are you too mentally f*cked up to hold down a job, or what's the deal?

Jeff
    um, SVI is a living legend on these boards. Let's try not to cut him up like we would just any ordinary noob. If he is anything it is most certainly not ordinary!

I will simply direct your attention here
    Out of 4

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information