What Remote Control??

Printable View

• 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM
    MDL
    What Remote Control??
    What remote control would you recommend, want a RF??

Harmony 890 has been recommended to me, user friendly. I wanted the Harmony One, but it's IR not RF. Need to go through wood doors w/in 20', control Panasonic 58PZ800 Plasma, Denon 3808, PS3, two sony CD/DVD 400 & 200 carosel boxs, HD DISH receiver!
  • 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
    markw
    Wanting an RF remote is all well and good.
    But, unles the devices you want to control with it are RF controlled, it won't do any good.

IOW, if your devices are all IR controlled, which many are, you'e boned. You will need more than a simple RF remote.
  • 12-06-2008, 11:00 AM
    MDL
    How do you determine if they are RF, IF or both?? I assume you look it up in their manual!
  • 12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
    elapsed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    But, unles the devices you want to control with it are RF controlled, it won't do any good.

IOW, if your devices are all IR controlled, which many are, you'e boned. You will need more than a simple RF remote.

Markw, How the Harmony 890 works is it comes with an RF extender, which allows you to control devices that are out of sight. What the RF extender does is receive a radio signal from your remote (which can go through walls), and turn it into IR (which your components can understand). The idea is that you place the RF extender inside of your cabinet, for example, with the IR blasters pointed at the IR receiver of your component.

The RF extender can control 8 devices via the 8 IR blasters. It's a bit of a pain to wire the first time as you need to cable an IR blaster to each of your components inside of the cabinet.

So in MDL's case, he would place an RF extender inside of his cabinet, with IR blasters on the AVR, Sony boxes and HD DISH receiver. The TV would still be controlled with IR, and I believe the PS3 uses a game controller as a remote.

cheers,
    elapsed
  • 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
    MDL
    What does the 8 IR blasters connect to on each peice of equipment??
  • 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
    elapsed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MDL
    What does the 8 IR blasters connect to on each peice of equipment??

There are 4 different plugs, with 2 IR emitters on each wire. These stick directly onto the IR receiver on your equipment (if I recall they use 3M sticky tape)

cheers,
    elapsed
  • 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
    scottmtb88@yahoo.com
    PS3 uses RF for its wireless controllers and bluray remote
  • 12-06-2008, 03:13 PM
    MDL
    I assume that these items come when you purchase the 890, they are an extra cost?
  • 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM
    elapsed
    Yes it includes the RF wireless extender and 4 dual-IR emmiters

And the Logitech Harmony 890 will not be able to control the PS3

cheers,
    elapsed