Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    no bashing here...

but, I have compared my advents (both single and double (stacked)) against my pair of Thiel CS2.3's ($3.6k in the USA, back in 1997, around € 5K here in europe...) and the advents didn't stand a chance.

first you have to hear a 50k pair of speakers before you can even think about comparing them to anything else.

you also said that 'you were member of other forums too', I haven't seen you on www.audiokarma.org yet, they'll love you and your gear there, I'm pretty sure of that

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    The key issue here is an A/B comparison, I have heard speakers that cost more than $50,000. price does not alone in my opinion determine how a speaker may sound to you.
    I have friends with $200,000 cars that are very unhappy with their cars reliability.

If I had any idea that the response here was so immature I would not have gotten involved.
    I hope the other site has members that are more mature. There are several members that can discuss audio, and I think they are in the majority . unfortunately they are overshadowed by a minority that read little and know less.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    I hope the other site has members that are more mature. There are several members that can discuss audio, and I think they are in the majority . unfortunately they are overshadowed by a minority that read little and know less.
    Yeah, I think agitate is the right word here...

Melvin, you didn't capitalize Unfortunately.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Absolutely! Shame on you, and Melvin, you are skating on the thinest of thin ice with that attack on JM.
    I have a question for you. Why do you come here? Numerous times you have said how bad and rude this forum is, how other members should be banned and how you are a member of many others fora. So why come here, if it's soooooooo beneath you?
    And there I was thinking you left a while ago.
    I tried to take the high road , I gave my opinions on speakers , amps etc. I have no problems with those that disagree with my positions on audio. What I disagree with was the language and personal attacks.
    I said in most of my post , we can agree to disagree , lets discuss the issues , audio. Instead more attacks .

Well when you lay with dogs you get fleas. To allow a few immature members to control access to this forum is inappropriate. I will repeat again there are members on this forum that can have a friendly debate , and there are others.
    The issue was not me but my position. I don't know who JM is I was responding to his post. As I am responding to yours.

Forum Regular
    Misspelled words "underatnding , preposititions " sir you can do better than that.
    Spelling is also learned.
    Melvin, given the rather imaginative linguistic aspects of some of your own posts, I'm surprised you've now chosen spelling and grammar as the basis on which to lecture others. Shakespeare once wrote something (in Hamlet, I believe) about being hoist on one's own petard. Thank you for illustrating the concept.

You've also complained about others failing to properly engage in the discussion on audio, but I've noticed that you've repeatedly failed to address the majority of audio and music related responses I and others have posted in specific response to your missives.

As such, you'll forgive me for being somewhat confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. It is obvious that you are fond of many pieces of classic audio equipment, but it would be more informative if you could get a bit more specific about the expensive modern models you feel they best, and in what way.

If you want an audio or music oriented discussion, it is time to move past the generic platitudes you've posted to date and get into specifics.

Suspended
    VERY well said mlsstl.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Melvin, we don't know who you are either. If you're going to bemoan personal attacks then don't make them. If you intend to claim the high road, you should do yourself a favor and stay in the no passing lane (and note that your seatbelt is hangin' out the door). I suggest you take the exit ramp and find another small minded, provincial town down the road aways and encamp there

Can we just ban the guy and give SVI a guest column? That would be a lot more rewarding for us all.

you know, there's a real simple soultion to this.

If I had any idea that the response here was so immature I would not have gotten involved.
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out. It's not like you contribute anything here except snob appeal and a great target for our sarcasm. We're still rolling about your 12 foot rule and waiting for some verication of your sources.

Well when you lay with dogs you get fleas.
    Your sex life does not interest us but thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Didn't you say you were through with this forum a few weeks ago? Remember, a man is only as good as his word. I guess it's true.
    Last edited by markw; 01-21-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Aging Smartass
    I raelly thnik taht you gyus shluod lavee poor Mleivn aolne.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I raelly thnik taht you gyus shluod lavee poor Mleivn aolne.
    I'm confused again. But then again I'm old too.

Ajani
    This thread is hilarious (I hope I spelled that correctly... lol)....

The only problem I'm having is that I'm not sure whether I really should be laughing... I find Melvin to be much like SpankingVanillaIce.... so I'm not sure whether he's -

A) Just another troll (Every time I return to this forum after a few years absence, we seem to have a new resident troll)

OR

B) Someone who really is just totally out of touch with reality, whether because of old age (Melvin) or some kind of mental disability (SVI)...

In case A) these threads are hilarious, but in case B) I kind of feel bad for laughing at these guys....

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm confused again. But then again I'm old too.

Our "friend" Melvin, once firmly planted on his altar, still continues to make grammatical and spelling errors, and seems to refuse to acknowledge doing so. My post was a (perhaps poor) attempt at poking fun at that.

At least no one has yet used the non-word, "irregardless."

Suspended
    My post was a (perhaps poor) attempt at poking fun at that.
    No no, your post worked well.

At least no one has yet used the non-word, "irregardless."
    What do you mean it's a non-word??? I use it all the time!

My post was a (perhaps poor) attempt at poking fun at that
    "an" attempt, parenthetical content doesn't trump the a/an rule. But I find this thread wonderful fun IRREGARDLESS.

(you may carry on with the stupid scrutinizing of spelling and grammar now, oh god... did I spell "scrutinizing" correctly? oh Melvin please help me!!!!)

Seriously though people...... without looking (I'll know if you cheat) do you guys know the intended topic of this thread at the time of its creation? I certainly don't!

Music / Hi-Fi enthusiast Les Adams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    ""

I don't know Les,

you should be darn proud to have owned the 1600E.

The Z4M is a wonderful car. I test drove one a few weeks ago at a showroom and almost bought it, I was that impressed. It was in a beautiful metallic taupe colour with red leather interior. I also looked at a Porche Boxter special edition in that peculiar shade of yellow a la GT3 and black painted alloys and trim. I ended up choosing the Mercedes SLK 350 convertible Special Edition (only 200 made) in black on black. I just couldn't get over the crazy cool way the hard-top hood folds into the trunk, or how warm the car keeps you even when its cold and the top is down.

And yet, one of the cars my Dad owned when I was a whippersnapper was The Ford Cortina 1600E in gold and black. What a car. I think I would get just as much of a kick out of driving around in that as in the Merc, despite a huge performance and technology difference. I've heard the Garrard 401 in a friends system by the way, and I;ve got to say it sounds pretty darn good even though its yonks and yonks old. It is however, heavily modified.

Sorry for the delay in reply but I have been away for a while.

Yes the 1600E was a great car untill, like most Fords of that era, the rust sets in! At the time it seemed very fast and agile but I wonder how it would feel now after driving modern cars? I love my BMW Z4M but to be honest it is over-powered for UK roads and I find the ride rather hard. Once the "thrill factor" of all that torque and horses wears of I will sell it on I am sure. I also have a BMW 2.8 Z3 Roadster. The Z3 is not as quick (0-60 in 7.1 secs) but it is a much smoother ride and I also think is is a more traditional style of sports car than the Z4. Your Merc is a fantastic car also. I have never owned a Mercedes.. maybe next time.

To make a comparison with cars and audio is valid I believe. It all boils down to taste, requirements and the perception of the individual. Sure the specifications can look more impressive and even my partner who is happy to listen to music on a ghetto blaster can hear the difference when I play my hi-fi, but she can't hear and / or doesn't really care about hearing those little sounds down in the mix as long as she can hear the tune! But then she hates the Z4 as it is too bumpy and too fast! Horses for courses as they say!
    Last edited by Les Adams; 01-21-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    STEREO

Garrard 401 Turntable mounted in Skeletal Oak Plinth /
    Ringmat 330 MKII XLR
    SME 3009-S2-imp Arm (Fixed shell)
    Shure V15Vxmr Cartridge
    Trichord Dino Phono Stage
    Arcam Alpha 8SE CD Player / Ringmat CDi Blue
    Quad 99 Pre-amp
    Quad 909 Power Amp
    Audiovector M2 Loudspeakers
    Silverlink Aero Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

AV
    Denon AVR3801A/V Receiver (pre out to aux input of Quad 99 for front L + R)
    JBL Centre Speaker
    Gale Satellites for rear L + R

Interconnects are Van Den Hul 102 mk3

This is one of the more inane threads I've seen here. My suspicion is that Mel is a troll, albeit not a very good one. His decision to never respond to simple requests destroys any validity he may have. The worst part is he's not even that entertaining! Shoot, he couldn't hold SVI or Lexi's colostomy bags.

Quote Originally Posted by les
    Yes the 1600E was a great car untill, like most Fords of that era, the rust sets in! At the time it seemed very fast and agile but I wonder how it would feel now after driving modern cars? I love my BMW Z4M but to be honest it is over-powered for UK roads and I find the ride rather hard. Once the "thrill factor" of all that torque and horses wears of I will sell it on I am sure. I also have a BMW 2.8 Z3 Roadster and a BMW 320ise. The Z3 is not as quick (0-60 in 7.1 secs) but it is a much smoother ride and I also think is is a more traditional style of sports car than the Z4. Your Merc is a fantastic car also. I have never owned a Mercedes.. maybe next time.
    Nice ride, Les. Long live the S54! (although like you, I prefer the traditional styling of the Z3 to the "flame surfacing" of the Z4)

IIRC, the Cortina is famous for being the car one of racing's all time greats cut his teeth in. You may know him by his nickname: "Wee Scot."

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Shoot, he couldn't hold SVI or Lexi's colostomy bags.
    Oh JEEEEZ!!! That's just NASTY!

Aww c'mon Rich...that's nuthin'!

My vote is to move Mel's threads to the Cage. Then y'all can stop dancing around the issue and get right to it!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    We have a winner. Colostomy bag trumps douche bag.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Not really. Considering 'back in the day' when Melvin was a wee chap they didn't even have colostomy bags, it would be a step up.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Were zip-lock storage bags invented yet?

How about soggy socks?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    THE AR FORUMS IS COOKIN' TODAY!!!

Were zip-lock storage bags invented yet?
    No, they just used butcher paper.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Wait a minute. If they hadn't invented colostomy bags yet then how could there have been colostomy's. That doesn't make sense!

Wait a minute. If they hadn't invented colostomy bags yet then how could there have been colostomy's. That doesn't make sense!
    Who the hell are you? Columbo? They hadn't invented colsotomy bags because 'back in the day' people didn't need them. Colostomys' are a direct result of todays music, and loose morals. (or other loose substances)

Shouldn't you be adjusting your speaker width?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information