Forum Regular

Mostly Music On Two Chanels

I like the recent discussions about enjoying music without spending too much time talking about the equipment on which it is played. Now-a-days anyone can get a good sounding stereo system for a reasonable price - and up to a point, dollars can buy a bit better quality, but I think you can reach a point where the improvement is very small and the price very big. It depends on whether you think a 1 % improvement in sound is worth 100% increase in price. My own taste in music is mostly classical, but I also like good, foot tapping small combos like Al Hirt and Pete Fountain of New Orleans as well as the music of the Eddy Arnold, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins and the Statler Brothers. As long as there is melody and good lyrics, I can enjoy a pretty wide variety of music....but it does not include Rock 'n roll or Rap. To me there's really only two kinds of music, good music and bad music. If the sound I get on my system is clear and sweet I'm happy. I think too much is made of what we call 'live' music, and it is forgotten that really good recorded music can provide a very rewarding musical experience. Live music does have the added stimulation of a charismatic performer and a responsive audience, but there is really nothing wrong with recorded music. Live may sound differently in different surroundings. The accoustics of one place differs from another very much the way stereo systems might differ, not to mention the quality of the recording itself. In short there's a lot of variables...and that's good, because that way we can all enjoy our own tastes in music listening even though they might differ considerably. I once heard a great orator state that there's three kinds of music: (1) Head music (2) Heart Music and (3) Limb music. The 'head' music is for those who enjoy listening to a symphony, a concerto or an opera....Heart music was for the sentimental who love the old fashioned love song the way Irish tenors render them or the kind Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby did so well, and Limb music was the kind that was lively and had a good beat so that you want to move your limbs to the rhythm by moving your arms or tapping your feet. That was a pretty good division, but I'm sure there might be many more among the various kinds of music we have available today. So lets all enjoy what we enjoy without making too big a fuss about the system we enjoy it on........after all, it is a matter of taste.

Some really excellent points...I agree with the types of music, although I would also venture to say that their is 'soul' music as well for those that use music in a worshipful way as well, either to God or in other religion to whoever they pray to.

Great original post. Some very good points made, especially the "Live" music point mentioned. Live is Live and needs an audience and the feel, smell and noises of the venue. It's the great studio recordings that move me when it happens. And once it does you want more. Just like an addict.
    I also agree that there is only good and bad music. The genre does not matter at all, that's very individual.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

oh ya, i do enjoy live music, but lot's of recorded stuff is great too, and its especially a treat to go to a live performance, i recently went to see The Who, they performed here in Ottawa, it was a great show, great music, and these guys are awesome show-men.

but back to bingo's point, i've got a stereo that most people would just shrug their shoulders at, but i would pit it against much more expensive stereos because it just sound..."right" that reminds me, i still need to get that new fuse... the best thing about it is that it has such a mellow, smooth sound that i could almost compare to a tube amp, don't get me wrong, i'd love to have a tube amp, and probably will in a few years. but for now, even when i get a new receiver, i'm still gonna keep the sansui, just for those times when i want to spin some vinyl!

i like live music, but not really if it's too big, like a rock concert or something, not because of the huge mass of people out there, but for the sound and what you see itselves, like, when you're standing right at the front, when you can almost touch the artist, you'll be deaf, and when you stand where the volume is acceptable, you can't see the artist anymore,
    but small concerts are quite fun,

@ Audio_Dude,
    i've heard so much good from you about your sansui, i'm starting to wonder why you want a new receiver??
    if i had a amp that sounded just right, i'd get myself some other upgrade, like a better tt or better speakers...
    note that it's not my intention to make you change your plans,

Greetings,
    Basite
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304