Forum Regular

What do all the numbers mean?

Does anybody know a good sight that explains what all the numbers mean...say on the spec sheet of an amp or DVD/CD player. For example, on a DVD player, what does the audio signal to noise ratio mean, and is higher or lower better? Or on an amp, what is total harmonic distortion (I know this, but I'm just using this as an example)? Or say on a CD player, what does the "dynamic range" mean and is it better to be lower or higher? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I need to brush up on all this stuff if I'm shopping for new gear. hehe

Thanks.
    Warning: My advice is based on what little experience I have under my belt, building on the last 5 years, and is in no way intended as scientific facts. Please also consider that, like the average human being, I may tend to be a bit bias toward my own personal preferences in audio. Use your own judgement and common sense, and please always listen for yourself. If it sounds good to you, the hell with what others say.

Forum Regular
    Signal to noise ratio's. Well kinda self explanatory. The amount of signal to the amount of noise. The higher the better.

Dynamic range, higher the better. For example. SACD's have a higher dynamic range than regular cd's, this is one of their benifits because they have better dynamics.

Robert Harley's "The Complete guide to High End audio" is a good book for someone to read who is getting into the hobby and wants to know more information about stuff. I reccomend it. While its not the last word in audio or anything it does contain alot of good information.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Haoleb
    Robert Harley's "The Complete guide to High End audio" is a good book for someone to read who is getting into the hobby and wants to know more information about stuff. I reccomend it. While its not the last word in audio or anything it does contain alot of good information.
    Unfortunately, a new person would never know when he is telling facts or audio myths.
    mtrycrafts

While you shop for new gear...

Quote Originally Posted by r3dline
    Does anybody know a good sight that explains what all the numbers mean...say on the spec sheet of an amp or DVD/CD player. For example, on a DVD player, what does the audio signal to noise ratio mean, and is higher or lower better? Or on an amp, what is total harmonic distortion (I know this, but I'm just using this as an example)? Or say on a CD player, what does the "dynamic range" mean and is it better to be lower or higher? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I need to brush up on all this stuff if I'm shopping for new gear. hehe

Thanks.
    take a browse thru the glossery page on every site you go to. You'll be more likely to get accurate descriptions. To get you started, here's one that covers a few pages worth...

http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/a.html

and another more basic description of HT receivers and DVD formats...

http://surroundassociates.com/glossary.html

The guys in the HT forum should be of great assistance in such matters.
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Unfortunately, a new person would never know when he is telling facts or audio myths.

True.

Ok just dont read the chapters on wires and tweaks and your set :P

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Haoleb
    True.

Ok just dont read the chapters on wires and tweaks and your set :P

Are you sure?
    Or, there may be sections in other chapters that are a bit on the voodoo side?
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information