Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's all about the music. Doc Sage's Avatar
    Hello to all,

"I just saw "Audiophile Quality" on a 6-disc changer in a Ford product and it prompted me to ask EVERYONE, what is "AUDIOPHILE QUALITY" to you?"

At first I said, "AUDIOPHILE QUALITY allows me to be transported into the music and the reproduction equipment disapears", but then I recalled being moved by a CD on my getto blaster during my last camping trip. So...

Also the target keeps moving. What I saw as AUDIOPHILE QUALITY thirty years ago (see below*) will not make the grade today. So...

It is not a dollar thing. I listen to many low price systems that truly amazed me...and a few expensive one that left me flat.

And yes, the music source has some weight in acheiving AUDIOPHILE status. The Beatle's and Miles Davis got it, what ever it's analoque or digital.

So...is it just a marketing term? Can it be quantified? I do not know anymore.

* I visited my then girlfriends best friend's boyfriend. He introduced me to Supertramp's School on a H/K \Linn system driving home built spearker's using JBL components. That experience was the event that got my taste buds of great sound awaken.

Doc Sage

Audiophile

IMHO an audiophile is one who constantly strives for better sound, that being subjective the their ears. I have visited people with "audiophile" equipment, but, at least to me, sounded horrible, mostly due to speaker placement and room acoustics. I am constantly mucking with room acoustics, speaker placement, and tube rolling. Of course if you have a 100k budget, and a professionally built and installed sound room, you will get better sound than many here get. But half the fun of it all is the "Mucking Factor".
    System:
    Cambridge Azur 640c-v2 player
    Technics SL V5 turntable
    Grado MF3-P cartridge
    TCC TC-760LC MM/MC Phono Preamp
    Aric Audio Tubre preamp with RCA 12au7 cleartops (installed on Adcom external processing loop)
    Adcom GFP-345 preamp
    Adcom GFA-5500 poweramp
    Paradigm 11semk3 speakers
    Monster connects and speaker cables.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information