Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We're not just audiophiles, right?

I know everyone here is into audio (duh) but I was curious as to what are some of your other interests. I think "audiophiles" or "audio enthusiasts" kinda have a rep as being, well...geeks (or at least extremely introverted). What are some of the magazines you either subscribe to or read on a regular basis?

As for me, I'm a devoted gearhead. It has wheels, wings, a prop or some combination of the three I'm probably interested. I read Automobile, Autoweek, Road & Track, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, TAS, FHM, SI, BMW, and Jaguar magazines. I'll pick up Car when I get a chance just to see all the cool toys we'll never get to play with.

How 'bout you?

Forum Regular
    Sorry to disappoint you...but I'm a geek.
    I got thick glasses and suspenders. Always wear my pants too high and shirts must be plaid.
    Naw, I dont got much real interests these days. Just hang out with friends. The outdoors type like hiking, biking, camping, lighting fires (gotta love that), fishing (although I hardly catch anything). I use to love jamming with a couple of buddies...but those days were of the old. These days, we have lost contact and our schedules are all different. Really too bad.

My most regular audio read is The Absolute Sound, and whatever other audio mags are at my local newsstand. I also subscribe to Car & Driver. At one point, I also had subscriptions to Road & Track and Motor Trend. Once upon a time, I thought about going into automotive engineering, after an inspired visit to Calty Design Research (Toyota's U.S. design affiliate where I got to see the original conceptual drawings for the Celica and the MR2).

Other magazines that I sporatically read include Planning (which is in line with my current career), Men's Health, Urb, BPM Culture, Jazziz, Atlantic Monthly, Mother Jones, SI, and PC World. Back in the day when there was such a thing as cyberculture, I also read Monk and Mondo 2000, which was like Wired in the early days only without the cyberlibertarian preachings.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Guitar One, Guitar World, and Guitar Player come to mind immediately...that's sort of audio though.
    I had been quite loyal to the insightful articles on the phenomenon of democratic capitalism and its impacts on the social hierarchy in western civilization that Playboy and Penthouse would cover each issue, but getting engaged put an end to that.

Forum Regular
    "Naw, I dont got much real interests these days."

Ever read a book?

Forum Regular
    Since you asked--

I've always enjoyed music and movies for entertainment even before getting into home theater gear. I love the NFL and NHL and subscribe to Sports Illustrated. Used to enjoy car mags, but not as much now.

I like to do things with my wife and kids, and we travel on a semi-regular basis. Hanging out with the guys fits in there somewhere on a limited basis.

Not the most intellectual or spectacular interests, but I like to keep things simple and we have a lot of fun.

Besides audio I'm always hanging out with my friends and/or riding my mountain bike doing tricks and stuff. I also workout 2-3 times a week for strength. In the spring I'm on the track team (I'm in highschool). I would have been playing baseball this summer, but the coach is a dick. Oh, and I can't forget playign the video games. Probabaly missed a few things, but I gotta get off this computer.

-Joey

Hi TopSpeed (and all),

Hmmm...some of my interests other than audio??? Hmmm...well, fishing (go figure ), spending time with my family, enjoying music, cooking, farting around in the yard with the lawn, flowers, trees and shrubs, eating...and just generally enjoying life

magazines I subscribe to? none

take care,
    dan

(edit add: After thinking about it for a bit. Even tho I do spend some time on my audio hobby...and I do enjoy my audio hobby. It would actually rate at the bottom of my other interests above. It's fun, just not that important )

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    "Naw, I dont got much real interests these days."

Ever read a book?
    If I have time, I catch up on studying. So yes, text books. But that hardly passes as an interest....well sometimes i guess.

Forum Regular
    I was just thinking...if gays have to come out of the closet, do audiophiles have to come out of the stereo rack?

Forum Regular
    Nah. You first have to build the rack to come out of it.

Other interests for me include salt water fishing, salt water aquariums (have a 10G that seems to be doing well though is in dire need of a water change), building audio gear racks (new flexy and dvd rack in the works), and enjoying spending time with my family and girlfriend. Of course, that is all without the obligatory mention of sports, such as NHL, NFL, college football, and NASCAR.

For subscriptions, my lone magazine subscription is to Popular Science.

Cool stuff guys/gals.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more musicians out there. Dunno why I correlate an audio enthusiast w/ a musician; 1+1=3 in this case.

Interesting that there so many are outdoorsman and into fishing (fly fishing in my case), mountain biking, etc. Believe it or not, I was expecting that.

Skep, you didn't answer the question tho. I'd half expect you to be a Popular Science/Mechanics kinda guy.

Talking No, I've varied interests....

Assistant coach on my son's little league team.

Bass player and lead singer in an RnB band (www.heyjocamo.com).

Currently building a new compuer from scratch. (can't find a Raedon X800XT for love nor money).

Girl watcher emeritus.

Met's Fan.

Military Historian and Veteran.

SciFi nut and resident Klingon!

See I can do more than just grumble about stupid questions!

Cool

Well, sport biking and fishing. Old time radio programs. Beer.
    Here's some pics of my babies. Not actual pics but similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Cool Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill L
    Well, sport biking and fishing. Old time radio programs. Beer.
    Here's some pics of my babies. Not actual pics but similar.
    Back in the day, as in pre-kids, I used to ride an F3 w/ an Erion Racing full exhaust, K&N, timing advance, and Stage 3 jet kit. Never dyno'd it but it was fast enough to light up the Dunlop GP Stars and keep a smile on my face , I stripped off all the boy-racer decals except for the Honda wing on the tank. Blood red and bloody fast. Of course, today's sport bikes are getting waaaay out of hand. I read the Kawi ZX10R pours out 185 hp over a 375lb bike. That's nuts.

Forum Regular

hey, interesting thread, topspeed...

my interest regarding audio is mainly (but not exclusively) older equipment, so I spend some time tinkering with old pieces, trying to get them up to speed again. I'm an avid radio listener, so I have top shelf tuners for AM, FM, and shortwave. No tuner lives up to its potential without a decent antenna, and I find antenna making to be somewhat meditative, so I roll my own. I'm always working one one antenna or another. Right now I'm gearing up to make another AM loop antenna, a half-meter model with 18 turns or wire and an old tuning cap mounted in the middle. I just finished a ground-plane antenna for the weather radio, so we can check out weather closer to my wife's inlaws (about a 120-mi drive) before taking off if the weather looks dicey.

Magazines I regularly read: Stereophile (interest has been waning bigtime lately- how many times can you restate the same thing?), popular communications (nice shortwave section), Adbusters, the Onion, What HiFi (british mid-fi mag), Mojo and Q (british pop/rock music mags), Journal of Propaganda Arts (when I can find a copy- it's fascinating), Cabinet (another weird art magazine), Giant Robot (not so much the last couple of years- also hard to find), whatever else looks interesting or strange that I find on the newsstand.

what do i do other than audio? bike, camp, hang out with the wife and kids, dinner parties, watch and collect old movies. that's about it. no time for anything else!

Forum Regular

like the topic

apart from music and movies, fishing is my passion. Also like random projects and building random stuff, finishing up a bamboo bar with one of my friends using just rope and bamboo. I just graduated, so I guess you could say trying to find employment other than my job at a deli right now is taking up alot of time. Probably not as much as it should though. Started playing more video games lately too.

Forum Regular
    im in the same situation as This Guy, still in high school, just hang out with friends spare time, play a bit of golf "membership locally"

i subscribe to motor trend and car and driver. and am a member and moderator at www.conceptcarz.com

i got hooked into audio for no reason at all, i have no idea but i just keep getting more and more hooked. i am now into collecting older gear from flea markets and garage sales. "dont ask me why" i dont need it or dont have the space i just like the stuff.

Forum Regular
    I am not an audiophile; I am a music lover. So my interest in audio stems from my desire to hear the music reasonably close to reality (whatever that is). Here are some of my other interests:

Acivities: playing drums ( for 37 years, mostly at church now), reading novels, watching movies

Sports: Arena Football, Soccer, coaching youth soccer

Magazines: Modern Drummer, Drum!, Soccer America; I also buy Jazziz, Jazz Times, and Downbeat once in a while
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Mags?

...Four Wheeler(subscribe), Smithsonian(subscribe), Backpacker(three or four times a yr), Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman(both usually around Christmas time), Blue and Gray(around the time of a battlefield visit...been a few yrs), haven't gotten Guitar Player in a long time...others as they strike me, usually DIY woodworking and furniture...

Interests? After my wife, and in no particular order: my Jeep, home inprovement, furniture DIY and general woodworking...artsy-crafty stuff, photoghraphy, painting, sketching, guitar, bass, harmonica, piano...cooking(Cajun and Mexican especially), eating(almost anything)...my dog...hiking...model railroading, travel, ACW, reading, gardening...

jimHJJ(...music? all the time...audio? only when required...)

Forum Regular
    I'm a car nut, biking nut, and audio nut.

Consumer Review works for me!
    Breaking all the Speed limits in MN with two Gears!
    And avoiding noise violations with my B&W's in the dorm..

Forum Regular
    Magazines subscriptions:
    Maxim, Cargo and Newsweek. I used to have Carcraft, but I sold
    my muscle car and losing interest in that area.

Into:
    Hanging out at sports bars and watching games with the psycho fans, drinking beer, eating pizza and acting stupid.
    New age stuff
    Working out and jogging.
    Monkeying around the house and do home projects.
    Watching DVD music concerts on 5.1
    On the internet long hours
    Poetry
    Stereo

Just regular guy stuff with a part-time girlfriend in the equation.

Forum Regular

where did all the artists and historians go?

i am an arts fanatic. music, being part of the arts, has led me to have a deep love and respect for it.
    but i also dive deep into history. the history of art, history of the USA, history of latin cultures, roman empire, etc.
    i dont subscribe to any magazines. but i do go to barnes n borders and keep up on cars and stereos. i used to like surf amd skate mags. back when i was also interested in tatoo mags. a phase. but everything is.

from what i gather, stories by my parents, i have been into electronics before i could spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Forum Regular
    i have polarized sunglasses. that sort of makes me into fishing? right?

Forum Regular
    I'm mostly into car stuff. My favorites being 80's turbocharged Fords. I drive an 85 Mustang SVO that i'm starting to do some serious work on. My other car is an 85 Merkur XR4Ti (Sierra in Europe) that I'm keeping stock for awhile. I just got out of installing mobile electronics professionally, time to make it 'just a hobby again'. I like to hit the race track as often as possible, preferrably road courses.

I just started plumbing, its actually quite relaxing.

I have recently taken up studying Buddhism.

I have been into human psychology for some time.

And, of course, women

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information