ST
    Forum Regular

Infinity Kappa 600

Hi everyone,

I am currently using a Denon AV receiver that has 50watts/channel for 8ohms with a pair of Polk Monitor for the front, and a pair of Boston Acoustic in the rear. They works fine. But I want to slowly upgrade my system in the next 6 mos to a year.

Thus, I recently purchase a pair of Infinity Kappa 600. They are 6ohms speakers. Last week, I removed the Polk and replaced them with the Infinity Kappa. The first impression is that the sound is worst than the Polk. But I realized that the receiver does not have enough power to drive these new pair. The speaker connecting on the receiver indicates the range between 6-8ohms.

The question I have is what kind of AV receiver should I be looking for to replace that one I have. I talked to a friend and he said that I have to find an AV receiver that is decidate for 6 ohms only in order to get great result. Even though, I really like to listen to music, but I am going to build this new system HT also.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    ST

Here's a thought. You could keep your receiver and use it as a preamp. You then buy a separate amplifer that is rated to drive 4ohm speakers. Not sure how much your looking to spend but here are a couple of options: Crown, Rotel, Harman Kardon.

ST
    Forum Regular

Re-thanks

Thanks Poneal,

I did not think about using the Denon as a PreAmp. But I am looking to build a HT system. The Denon is about 10 yrs old without the DTS and THX functions. Thus, a new AV Receiver is a better way to go.

I am looking to spend around $1-1.5K for the receiver. Do you brand that you would recommend?

Thanks
    ST

Forum Regular
    I bought my parents the Kappa system but I got them the 400 with the center and an alpha 1200 sub. I had an old Pioneer and it sounded horrible so I went out and got an HK 525 and the sound has changed dramatically! They are awesome speakers in my opinion. Good luck!

Forum Regular
    If you can afford $200 more, look at the [http://www.outlawaudio.com]Outlaw 950 pre/7100 amp combo] that goes for $1,672 delivered ($1,598 plus shipping). That gets you into the world of separates. Or, as another possibility, go with the Outlaw 950 for $831delivered and get the Rotel RB-985 for around $550 plus shipping (reads $575 OBO plus shipping).

Thread Information