• 04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
    perla4u
    URGENT HELP - Things to look in a Dealer !
    Hi all,

Finally, after many listening sessions I think I am about to make the jump. I approached two dealers who deal with B&W and Rotel product lines and both are pretty competetive in offerings. I really wanted to take suggestions from experienced folks and make the wise decision...

Here are the few things these dealers are offering:

DEALER A (National Chain) - MISTAKE - LOCAL HIFI DEALER
    ---------
    1. 12 months same as cash
    2. Good deal on the whole package (saving $250 than Dealer B)
    3. No Trade in policy
    4. Delivery charge ($70)
    5. No buy back option
    6. Suggesting a $100 cable (10feet - Straight Wire cables)
    7. 30 day money back gurantee

DEALER B (Local HIFI Dealer)
    ---------
    1. 6 months same as cash
    2. Same package is 250$ costly than Dealer A
    3. Full credit towards the upgrade with in 12 months of initial purchase
    4. Free delivery and setup (Charge $65/hr if setup is more than 1 hr)
    5. Buy back program. Will take trade-in's from any other dealer.
    This is even if I choose Dealer A and then upgrade with Dealer B.
    6. Basic cables will be provided but high end needs to be baught.

I put down my information here. I would really really request you to suggest me the right dealer. Since there might be few things I am ignorant of, please let me know what other things I should be asking/looking for. AM I MISSING ANYTHING TO CONSIDER HERE? I should say, both the dealers are extremely professional and I like working with them.

PLEAE SUGGEST.

Thanks & Regards,
    -Perla
  • 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
    topspeed
    I ALWAYS prefer working with a local shop vs. a national chain store. Why? Better personalized customer service, better deals (you can get Dealer B to match or beat the national chain, trust me), and I like to keep my money local. I have a great relationship with my dealer and have bought a fair amount of equipment from him over the years. I've also referred a few of my friends that are into audio and they ended up buying a lot of gear as well. What do I get in return? Great prices and a guy that actually remembers my name and knows what I like in equipment. He also allows me to demo gear in my own home, something that fewer and fewer dealers allow yet is paramount to making the right decision.

Relationships supercede dollars.
  • 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM
    Rock789
    how much is the total bill here...
    is $250 less than 10%? (guessing it is)...

go with the local dealer... ;o)

as topspeed stated... you can get the local guy down $250 ;o) esp. if thats the difference in making a sale or letting you walk...
    (or he may drop $100 off the price, and mention local is easer with no shipping ;o)
  • 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
    perla4u
    very nice feedback
    Hi topspeed & rock...thanks for showin me the right direction. The difference is 8% b/w the two dealers. Infact, I have not bargained anything with my local HIFI dealer. I just took the quote and walked out. I think I will call him tomorrow and talk to him. Probably ask him if he can match the price and I can go by his shop to purchase my stuff.

Apart from this, should I be asking any specific stuff, like warrenty and extra coverages n stuff? Let me know.

Thanks
    Perla
  • 04-11-2007, 03:58 AM
    PeruvianSkies
    at least ask...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by perla4u
    Hi topspeed & rock...thanks for showin me the right direction. The difference is 8% b/w the two dealers. Infact, I have not bargained anything with my local HIFI dealer. I just took the quote and walked out. I think I will call him tomorrow and talk to him. Probably ask him if he can match the price and I can go by his shop to purchase my stuff.

Apart from this, should I be asking any specific stuff, like warrenty and extra coverages n stuff? Let me know.

Thanks
    Perla

If they will price match. You have the purchasing power here, not them. Let them demand your business.
  • 04-11-2007, 04:56 AM
    Resident Loser
    Actually...
    ...you're the one who has to weigh the options...is saving the bucks and a guaranteed 30 day return more valuable than the more personalized, and hopefully more knowledgeable, service from the local guy...

If I were you, I'd probably go with the latter, my only caveat is his saying you "need" high-end cables. For the most part the OEM inclusions will be satisfactory...if at some point, after doing some research on the subject, you feel the urge to upgrade, hopefully you will have gleaned the ammunition to counter any arguments for such a "need".

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)
  • 04-11-2007, 05:45 AM
    Rock789
    on the 30 day money back thing...
    if you are debating returning these, don't buy them...
    go audition other stuff untill you are sure you are happy...

take as much time as you want... and audition many many many different brands/series...

I took several months to decide what I wanted, auditioning something different almost every weekend...

just my 2cents on the 30day back thing...
  • 04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
    perla4u
    Friends...

THANK YOU ...THANK YOU ....THANK YOU. I have got such a great response from this forum.

I guess I mistakenly took the info on the dealer A. Both are LOCAL HIFI DEALERS and have multiple locations in Chicago (more than 3 locations in Chicago and suburbs). Sorry for the whole mess.

But, looking at the current scenario, which one would be a better idea?

Please help.

Thanks
    Perla
  • 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by perla4u
    Friends...

THANK YOU ...THANK YOU ....THANK YOU. I have got such a great response from this forum.

I guess I mistakenly took the info on the dealer A. Both are LOCAL HIFI DEALERS and have multiple locations in Chicago (more than 3 locations in Chicago and suburbs). Sorry for the whole mess.

But, looking at the current scenario, which one would be a better idea?

Please help.

Thanks
    Perla

Go for the one that doesn't have a shady white van that frequently parks in K-mart lots after hours and dark allies.
  • 04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
    Rock789
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Go for the one that doesn't have a shady white van that frequently parks in K-mart lots after hours and dark allies.

haha
    thats great!
  • 04-30-2007, 08:07 PM
    pikers
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    If they will price match. You have the purchasing power here, not them. Let them demand your business.

So... Let the local dealer do all of the system recommendations, and assume it's their responsibility to "demand" business? They did the work that the other joint is taking advantage of. In fact, if there is a higher price, it should be with the first dealer, having earned it through demos and introducing you to the product/concept initially.

Ad yeah, dealers audition clients also.
  • 04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
    pikers
    You know, this whole question on all forums would be so much easier to answer if consumers actually went into stores with the express purpose of building a business relationship instead of running up and down the street price matching. Instead, it seems that it's OK to take superficial data (out of context) and plug it into a chat room, expecting insight. If one paid as much attention during the initial consultation as they did on their game-playing antics, the question might have answered itself.
  • 04-30-2007, 08:48 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pikers
    So... Let the local dealer do all of the system recommendations, and assume it's their responsibility to "demand" business? They did the work that the other joint is taking advantage of. In fact, if there is a higher price, it should be with the first dealer, having earned it through demos and introducing you to the product/concept initially.

Ad yeah, dealers audition clients also.

Yeah, so what. That's their job. They are in the business and any smart company knows how to keep customers happy. As a consumer you have rights and power and you shouldn't let a dealer sway you one way or another. They are there to help and assist you in making decisions, but not forcing you into something you don't really want. There is nothing wrong with price-matching at all. It's a competative market and if the dealer wants your business than they know the bottom line and should be concerned with keeping you as a long-term customer, even if it means making a smaller profit margin up front.
  • 04-30-2007, 09:51 PM
    Rock789
    I understand what pikers is saying, but I agree with PeruvianSkies...

when I built my system a couple years ago, I looked for the speakers I enjoyed the most...
    it worked out great since the sales guy worked with my to get me in the price range I wanted...

since he was very helpful and friendly (of course he wanted to make a sale right), I did go back there for additional equipment... I actually purchased all my gear there... that is untill they went out of business...

I have since been looking for a good replacement place...
    I found one, but it is ~3 hours away... good if I am making a big purchase, but for little things, that's a bit of a drive...

I found one not too far from me where every is nice and friendly, but they seem to be "kids"
    no offence to them, but most of them seem to be younger with not much experience to answer my questions...

on the down side... I have found several places where I do not feel comfortable with the sales guys... I do not plan on purchasing anything from these guys ...lol
  • 05-01-2007, 04:22 PM
    DEVO
    Which salesperson do you feel would help you the most after the transaction is over? Most companies guarantee prices +/-, but once the day is over and you have ?'s and he isn't getting anymore $. Who do you feel more comfortable w/?
    That is who I would spend my money w/. This will be a long term relationship, not a marriage!!!!, but a relationship that you have to get along w/ this person...
  • 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM
    musicman1999
    To me,great customer service is the most important aspect of the audio buying experience.When i began upgrading my gear a few years ago,i started with speakers,of course,and went shop to shop auditioning various models and came to realize that i should also be auditioning dealers as well.Lucky for me,the best dealer also had the speakers that i wanted.Over the years my relationship with this dealer has allowed me to build up a pretty good system that i could not have done without their help.I have no problem paying a little extra for a component,because of all the other benefits i get from these guys.(in home demos,great honest advice and in home service if i need it)

bill
  • 05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
    StanleyMuso
    Personal on-going relationships are important
    Several years ago I bought some gear from a shop on price alone, but the atmosphere in the shop was quite chilly. I thought the salesman was having a bad day, and thought nothing of it. When the unit broke down in the warranty period (they had a certified repairshop behind the store), the owner this time, behaved as if he was displeased that I was bothering him. Later, when I needed some speakers for my son's system and asked for an audition, I again had that "what a nuisance" reaction (unsaid, of course, just the body language), so I didn't end up buying speakers from him. Several months later, I bought a sourround receiver from them, again because of the price, but both the owner and staff seemed so gloomy and even resentful, that I had no pleasure in my purchase and actually regretted buying from him. Needless to say, even though the shop is quite close to where I live, I have never visited that establishment again. When I drive past it these days, its beginning to look run down, and I wonder if their attitude is driving customers like me away. Now I frequent two other stores for my needs where I'm always treated with friendlyness and respect, and where the staff are willing to listen carefully to my needs. As far as I'm concerned, the lowest price is not always the best. It's worth paying a little more for ongoing support and advice. You cannot expect a person to provide personal support if you have left him little profit margin. He is, after all, trying to make a living.
  • 05-04-2007, 09:53 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    As a former salesman myself...
    I know all their 'tricks' and I know the game well, but I gotta say when I walk out of a store, like I did a few days ago with a new guitar, they got me! I walked in not really expecting to walk out with a guitar, but rather repair my current guitar. I end up walking out with a new guitar simply because the salesman was so good. I mean, this guy had it down pat. I recognized the game right away, but what I really liked was his open-honesty and his non-pushy manner. He wasn't even trying to sell me the guitar, but just was relaxed and patient with me making some suggestions here or there or recommendations. In the end, it was a good relationship and most importantly I walked away happy. I think that any customer loves to leave happy, especially after making a huge investment type of purchase.

If any of you have ever seen the show KING OF CARS you can relate to the business that "Chop" runs and you can see why he is so successful at selling cars...I mean they sell like 40 cars per day sometimes...which is unreal! But, they have a great thing going for their dealership because they make investments into the customers and make them feel special. Sure, they want to make money, but people also need transportation in most cases and they can buy a car at millions of places, but when you are buying a car you want the experience to be a fulfilling one, it's a big deal for many people, and "Chop" recognizes that and capitalizes on it. The same goes for audio equipment as well.

Oh and for the record...I actually enjoyed being a saleman...I always enjoyed the interactions with customers and I had a huge huge huge list of regular customers who specicially came to my store just for my service, even though our prices were a bit higher than the competators. However, I quit the sales business after about 5 years due to the company starting to make us sell things that were a bit 'shady' in my opinion. We became a company that was no longer interested in keeping regular customers, but rather in making profits on things that people didn't really need and essentially 'lying' to them in order to get sales. I just couldn't go on with the charade. Actually they ended up 'firing' me because they said my quota was not being met, meanwhile no one else was making their quotas either and I had top performance reviews for several years straight, yet because I was making too much money, they had to find a reason to let me go and that was the only thing that they really had. Revenge though is sweet...I took the firing calm and collect and just walked out in a smooth manner. Then I called every regular customer on my list (over 100 of them) and explained why I was being 'let go' and how the company was going down hill, etc etc. 2 years later the company folded. Wooo hooo. I'd like to think I had something to do with that.
  • 05-05-2007, 06:58 AM
    Rock789
    :rofl:

sweet revenge