Forum Regular

video cables vrs audio cables

I have some component video cables that are now not needed with my new blu ray
    can I use them for audio only?
    I know I could just try it but my back is not as young as it used to be when hooking up cables behind all my components
    thanks

Suspended
    What were you thinking of connecting with them? Using one for digital audio or two of the three for a L/R connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    What were you thinking of connecting with them? Using one for digital audio or two of the three for a L/R connection?
    In either case he'll be fine, assuming typical home usage. They have the needed bandwidth for either..

I use AR Master series component cables to feed my subs. This is many due to the lengths I require and that I had a set lying around. I do like them better than dedicated 'subwoofer' cables I had been using.

You should have absolutely no problems using the component cables for audio use.
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 12-01-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

I took a set of three component video cables and used one for the digital connection from CD to DAC and the other two for L/R analog from DAC to preamp and I thought it worked out very well. I found them to be probably as good as my Blue Jeans Cable interconnects and definitely better than the typical cheap audio interconnects. Since they have lower capacitance than the typical audio cable, they would at least in theory have less roll-off of high frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I took a set of three component video cables and used one for the digital connection from CD to DAC and the other two for L/R analog from DAC to preamp and I thought it worked out very well.
    If you are using component cable for digital output, it is recommended to use the green color cable for digital application since green cable [should] have higher bandwidth than Red or Blue color cables.

Forum Regular

audio cables

ok I will give it a try I will be using it for the 5.1 out from a blu ray to my old 5.1 in on my processor so the blu ray will decode the new HD audio
    right now I just have cheapy rca cables

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    If you are using component cable for digital output, it is recommended to use the green color cable for digital application since green cable [should] have higher bandwidth than Red or Blue color cables.
    Wouldn't all the cables in the set have the same construction?

School me, big guy.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues

School me, big guy.
    PROBABLY.
    Its just easier that each cable be able to handle any part of a signal. And any cable that
    can handle video can easily handle audio, not always the case the other way around.
    I have a ton of old cables, in the "spares" box, HDMI has rendered a lot of them obsolete.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Most of them probably do, but I'm assuming there are some out there that don't have same construction as to save money.

The reason is that green color cable carry twice bandwidth of Red or Blue cable, so one probably can get away by using different set of cable for green and red/blue. They could look the same, but green might have lower capacitance than red or blue cable.

Yet, in the real world, component cables are all the same cable with different colored ends on the cables for the sake of convenience.

If you're feeling really froggy, simply switch 'em around and see if there's any difference.

Betcha ya can't tell and, even if you said you could, I wouldn't believe ya. .

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    If you're feeling really froggy, simply switch 'em around and see if there's any difference. Betcha ya can't tell and, even if you said you could, I wouldn't believe ya. .
    A little bit of placebo effect might not hurt here

A little bit of placebo effect might not hurt here
    No, try a bit of reality.

Mental masturbation, like the other kind, is something you should practice in private.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    The difference between cables meant for audio and ones meant for video is that cables constructed specifically for audio contain a twisted pair and ones for video are typically a single straight through. Now every company has it's own theory so this is not a strict rule, more of a guideline. So if the given company follows this guideline then generally it's better to use a video cable for Digital coax connections because they share the same construction. I'll use whatever is available though..
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

At this site they have the same 75-Ohm cable noted for both purposes - digital and video:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    No, try a bit of reality.
    Reality is that if some cable manufacture in china can save few pennies by using lower bandwidth cable for Red/blue-and still keep the same high bandwidth specification (over 60 mhz), they might do it.

Examples please.

Reality is that if some cable manufacture in china can save few pennies by using inferior cable for Red/blue-and still keep same bandwidth specification (over 60 mhz), they might do it.
    So, you just "assume" there will be a price difference between these three "video" cables, do ya? Do yourself a favor. Get some ideas of real costs involved before putting forth such half-a$$ed suppositions based on nothing except too much time on your hands.

So,either put up some proof of your "beliefs"or stop making this floor sticky.
    Last edited by markw; 12-04-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Thread Information