Forum Regular

Troubleshooting Issue

In another post, I described a problem I was having with my NAD T743 Receiver. The problem was that I was only getting intermittent sound using the CD/DVD. After a little troubleshooting, I have discovered that the problem may be the coax going from the CD/DVD player to the receiver. I am trying to determine whether it's the coax itself or the receiver terminal (female) end on the receiver or the CD/DVD. I have eliminated the receiver itself as the problem b/c it produces sound using a standard RCA, although, as expected, not in the more sophisticated sound modes offered by the receiver (dolby sound modes, etc.). How do I go about testing whether it's the coax or the terminal ends of the receiver or CD/DVD component? Finally, I thought that my initial wiring had a coax running from the yellow video OUT on the CD/DVD to the coaxial digital IN on the receiver. However, now I see that I probably had it running from the coaxial digital audio OUT on the CD/DVD to the receiver. This is the probably the way I had it, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by James
    In another post, I described a problem I was having with my NAD T743 Receiver. The problem was that I was only getting intermittent sound using the CD/DVD. After a little troubleshooting, I have discovered that the problem may be the coax going from the CD/DVD player to the receiver.
    Well for starters, I'd try using a different coax cable. I think it is high more likely that you are experiencing a cable issue rather than a jack issue on the receiver.

Better still, I might suggest that you move to using an inherently better audio connection such as digital audio or Toslink.

rw

Forum Regular
    I went out and got a new TOS link and a new coax a neither cured the problem. Even if it was a jack problem for the coax on either the receiver or the CD/DVD, the TOS link would have cured the issue. Now I am really stuck.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Unhappy Check wether there is a groundloop

I went out and got a new TOS link and a new coax a neither cured the problem. Even if it was a jack problem for the coax on either the receiver or the CD/DVD, the TOS link would have cured the issue. Now I am really stuck.
    Ok, Check all your plugs and outlets. It could well be that there is a groundloop somewhere in your system, not very enjotable though.

IRG
    In another post, I described a problem I was having with my NAD T743 Receiver. The problem was that I was only getting intermittent sound using the CD/DVD. After a little troubleshooting, I have discovered that the problem may be the coax going from the CD/DVD player to the receiver. I am trying to determine whether it's the coax itself or the receiver terminal (female) end on the receiver or the CD/DVD. I have eliminated the receiver itself as the problem b/c it produces sound using a standard RCA, although, as expected, not in the more sophisticated sound modes offered by the receiver (dolby sound modes, etc.). How do I go about testing whether it's the coax or the terminal ends of the receiver or CD/DVD component? Finally, I thought that my initial wiring had a coax running from the yellow video OUT on the CD/DVD to the coaxial digital IN on the receiver. However, now I see that I probably had it running from the coaxial digital audio OUT on the CD/DVD to the receiver. This is the probably the way I had it, correct?
    Let me ask some more questions, since I have a similar setup. Do you use your dvd player as your cd player too? I use a Sony dvd player for dvds, using the only digital option I have with that player, which is a coaxial cable. You are right, in that you do need this cable to decode dolby digital, dts. But if you use the rca able, you are getting sound fine for cd music, but obviously if you use only those cables, you won't get the 5.1 sound for DD or DTS.

I also use a cheap Technics cd player, and use a toslink conneciton to the NAD, which works great for my cds. What dvd player are you using? If it works with rca able, but not a toslink or coaxial cable, are you sure you have the menu setup for that input to accept a digital connection? If all you have is analog turned on, that is all that is going to work. You have to enable both the digital connection and analog connection in your NAD setup menu. I guess you could even turn off the analog option if you wanted to.

One thing you might try. Use the rca cables from your dvd player, and hook them into a cd input on the NAD. In the setup menu, make that your cd connection, using an analog connection. At the same time run a coaxial or optical cable from your dvd player to the dvd input on the NAD, and make sure in the setup you have chosen the right digital connection. If this doesn't work, I would assume that either the dvd player has a problem or your NAD, but more likey the dvd player.

Thread Information