Toshiba SD9100 DVD Player - HDCD

Does anyone know how the Toshiba SD9100 DVD Player implements HDCD for CDs? I object to the original implementation of HDCD where Pacific Microsonics required that players thus equipped had to attenuate all non-HDCD CDs as part of their license agreement so that standard CDs and HDCDs would play at the same volume level, so to speak. Most manufacturers did this in the digital domain (rather than analog) by throwing away one bit from the playback of standard CDs.
    Last edited by menschenstimme; 04-15-2013 at 10:32 AM.

ADDENDUM: I tried contacting Toshiba directly for this information. This turned out to be a time-consuming exercise in futility and frustration. It does not help that this product was produced at the same time that Pacific Microsonics was being bought by Microsoft. Oh well . . .

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I think so you should call the person from where you brought your Toshiba SD9100 DVD Player as they can tell you how exactly you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by menschenstimme View Post
    Does anyone know how the Toshiba SD9100 DVD Player implements HDCD for CDs? I object to the original implementation of HDCD where Pacific Microsonics required that players thus equipped had to attenuate all non-HDCD CDs as part of their license agreement so that standard CDs and HDCDs would play at the same volume level, so to speak. Most manufacturers did this in the digital domain (rather than analog) by throwing away one bit from the playback of standard CDs.
    Dunno about players but my previous Assemblage 1.5 DAC had HDCD decoding (and the required chip) but did seem to play HDCD discs at a lower volume than standard CDs (so I turned up the volume).

Now I have an non-HDCD decoding DAC but with my Foobar2000 music player I use a software add-in that decodes HDCD. This decoder allow you to selectively use or not cut volume.

Thread Information