Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thread hijacking .. a common theme?

3db
    Forum Regular

Thread hijacking .. a common theme?

I opened a thread..

Audiophiles beware, the other senses are more connected than you think.

that got hijacked from post 21 onwards. Why is that?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Threads like conversations change by the minute. Most forums have threads that change as people see things through their experiences. I wonder if threads would have much contributions if people had to rigidly stick to topics. Sometimes the original topic is only so interesting and is taken over by other subjects.

What I find most annoying is people speaking about equipment they have no experience using. I doubt if that is going to change. I guess just part of the joy of a free forum.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

3db
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Threads like conversations change by the minute. Most forums have threads that change as people see things through their experiences. I wonder if threads would have much contributions if people had to rigidly stick to topics. Sometimes the original topic is only so interesting and is taken over by other subjects.
    True enough

What I find most annoying is people speaking about equipment they have no experience using. I doubt if that is going to change. I guess just part of the joy of a free forum.
    What I find truly annoying is people jumping down one other's throats without asking for clarification on the previous post . Making assumptions and my favourite .."you implied" just brings bad blood all around and should be controlled ASAP.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I think the topic was about an old issue, hence the reference to the thread.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    I think the topic was about an old issue, hence the reference to the thread.
    The topic was about going off topic not as much about past threads.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Can't really go off topic if the censors delete your comments..right?

The OP posted a thread that is quite relevant with the comments It was based on a PAST THREAD. That is a fact. It is only fair to let everyone see what I have posted, rather than deleting it before they can.

Some human behavior is much like comments on IC's. It becomes more of a shaping behavior rather than a honest one.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Can't really go off topic if the censors delete your comments..right?

The OP posted a thread that is quite relevant with the comments It was based on a PAST THREAD. That is a fact. It is only fair to let everyone see what I have posted, rather than deleting it before they can.

Some human behavior is much like comments on IC's. It becomes more of a shaping behavior rather than a honest one.
    I have a suggestion for you. Since many of your posts were still based on you wanting to win the argument on cables start your own thread to educate all who believe as you do. I will not read it or participate unless I receive complaints of abusive posts. It just needs to stop being infused in other threads. Folks this is why threads go off topic.
    blackraven and Hyfi like this.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    3db - You participated thru out the the whole thread and perpetuated more and more off topic replies by continuing with your stance on cables and differences (or your belief in lack of). You could have easily stayed on topic by not responding to what you consider off topic or hijacked. It's a shame some people could just not answer a few simple questions or post about real world experiences and the thread was closed. It caused a 3 day lull in any posts at all. Not quite sure what you are complaining about now.
    blackraven likes this.

Suspended
    I have a suggestion for you. Since many of your posts were still based on you wanting to win the argument on cables start your own thread to educate all who believe as you do. I will not read it or participate unless I receive complaints of abusive posts. It just needs to stop being infused in other threads. Folks this is why threads go off topic.
    This sounds personal. Shouldn't moderators be impartial and objective?

3db
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    3db - You participated thru out the the whole thread and perpetuated more and more off topic replies by continuing with your stance on cables and differences (or your belief in lack of). You could have easily stayed on topic by not responding to what you consider off topic or hijacked. It's a shame some people could just not answer a few simple questions or post about real world experiences and the thread was closed. It caused a 3 day lull in any posts at all. Not quite sure what you are complaining about now.
    There were attempts made by me to bring it back on topic as well. Its a shame some people read in implications rather than seeking clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls View Post
    This sounds personal. Shouldn't moderators be impartial and objective?
    I used to be. I was accused of not doing enough in the past and was partial now that I am trying to stop the continuation of a closed thread I am again accused of being partial in the opposite direction. I gave him free run for his own thread that I would not touch. Only members who really want to discuss his beliefs need apply. I thought that was a good compromise.

One thing you do not read and I will not share is what happens in private messages. If you think some members criticize me in posts you ought to read my PM's. If anything I will tolerate too much.

On other sites many would have been banned by now for their attacks and posts. I think AR is kind of a place where it has been lightly moderated and people love to come here and argue. Try some of this on AK and see how long you last as a member.

We have a number of mods but I am the only one with a little amount of time to moderate. Members were calling for more moderation without realizing their own behaviors needed moderated.

As we drift further and further off topic in this thread we prove the point.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post
    There were attempts made by me to bring it back on topic as well. Its a shame some people read in implications rather than seeking clarification.
    So clarify now.

You made the remark that I should buy cables that look good. To me that meant 1 of 2 things coming from a non-believer.

1- Since all cables sound the same, people who buy HE cables are only purchasing for looks. (underhanded or tongue-in-cheek dig)
    2- Since I already have HE cables, which I paid nothing for, your statement implied that all they do is look good and any other cables I buy should be based on looks alone and not performance. (same as 1)

You know what you said, how you said it, and what you meant, and so did the rest of us.

3db
    Forum Regular
    So clarify now.

You made the remark that I should buy cables that look good. To me that meant 1 of 2 things coming from a non-believer.

1- Since all cables sound the same, people who buy HE cables are only purchasing for looks. (underhanded or tongue-in-cheek dig)
    2- Since I already have HE cables, which I paid nothing for, your statement implied that all they do is look good and any other cables I buy should be based on looks alone and not performance. (same as 1)

You know what you said, how you said it, and what you meant, and so did the rest of us.
    If you read my last response before the thread got locked, then you will know exactly where I was coming from. Hope this helps to clear some of the misunderstanding around here.

Suspended
    If you read my last response before the thread got locked, then you will know exactly where I was coming from. Hope this helps to clear some of the misunderstanding around here.
    Well first I see this- "Use any cables you want that make your system "look" good."

And then this- "I never told you that you buy cables based on looks. WTF? "

So "Use any cables that make my system LOOK GOOD" means to purchase cables based on looks. What else can it mean? If your claim that all cables sound the same or they are defective, then by that you imply that anyone that spends more than the cost of RS cables does so only for "Looks".

It's crystal clear to me.

3db
    Forum Regular
    If you read my last response before the thread got locked, then you will know exactly where I was coming from. I also did not pay attention to what you have as far as cables and interconnects go when I responded originally to your question. Hope this helps to clear some of the misunderstanding around here.

3db
    Forum Regular

So "Use any cables that make my system LOOK GOOD" means to purchase cables based on looks. What else can it mean? If your claim that all cables sound the same or they are defective, then by that you imply that anyone that spends more than the cost of RS cables does so only for "Looks".

It's crystal clear to me.
    Apparently its far from crystal clear to you...again, more assumptions and implication on your part.... I did not imply "that anyone that spends more than the cost of RS cables does so only for "Looks". Its clear to me that anyone purchasing cables buys them because they sound different. To me they don't so I would buy on looks, NOT YOU!!!!. Again your perceived "implied" is way off base, and your reactions come across as defensive and not one who tries to understand.

As Jackie would say "and away we go"
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Apparently its far from crystal clear to you...again, more assumptions and implication on your part.... I did not imply "that anyone that spends more than the cost of RS cables does so only for "Looks". Its clear to me that anyone purchasing cables buys them because they sound different. To me they don't so I would buy on looks, NOT YOU!!!!. Again your perceived "implied" is way off base, and your reactions come across as defensive and not one who tries to understand.
    I am trying, and not defensive, just how I see it. This statement means one thing only, that cables are for Looks only if one does not agree with you.

"Use any cables you want that make your system "look" good."

What else can Look Good mean? You did not say that YOU buy cables that look good, you recommended that I buy cables that look good.

Stop back peddling and get over it, I did because I don't think like you do and I don't buy cables to make my system look good nor do I buy cables that just look good themselves. I don't care what a cable looks like, just as long as it provides the desired outcome for me.

If your statement said "Because I don't think there is a difference in cables, I personally buy ones that "look" good" that would have been the end of it, but that's not what you said now is it?

3db
    Forum Regular
    If your statement said "Because I don't think there is a difference in cables, I personally buy ones that "look" good" that would have been the end of it, but that's not what you said now is it?
    Wow.. I thought my last explanation just said that...maybe not as eloquent as yours but the idea was still there. The "implied" on your part could have easily been adverted if you asked for clarification like you just did. Thanks for arriving at the conclusion.

Suspended
    Wow.. I thought my last explanation just said that...maybe not as eloquent as yours but the idea was still there. The "implied" on your part could have easily been adverted if you asked for clarification like you just did. Thanks for arriving at the conclusion.
    You could have just said it that way in the first place and not cause a need for clarification since it was so easily taken different ways. But the statement I read in your original reply did not need clarification, it said exactly what you meant it to say. And since it seems like that was the main reason you created this post, you got your final say and we are done with it. I don't buy cables just because they look good, maybe you do?

Anything else to get out in the open? Go for it.

Suspended
    Yes, let's keep it on topic...... any one see that soccer game Sunday......
    JohnMichael likes this.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Yes, let's keep it on topic...... any one see that soccer game Sunday......
    I saw the Germany game and loved that they tied, not won.

It's the internet. There, case solved.
    JohnMichael and noddin0ff like this.

And yet the powers that be deleted all of my post(saying it was about old threads - which was the topic of this thread), but allows the conversation about that old thread continue between two other parties.

I guess the idea of fairness and objectivity is completely lost here.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp