Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

They don't make 'em like they used to...

Hey everyone, I was at an estate sale and picked these up for $10. I am not a fan of Koss, with the exception of the Portapro.

These are Koss Pro 4AA. They were discontinued and redesigned by "popular demand". I have tried the new version and let me tell you, they pale in comparison. The build is awful and the sound quality, even when properly driven with an amp (250ohms) is terrible. The build on these is extraordinary, i swear you could unload a gun into them and they'd be ok. Sound wise, they isolate quite well with subtle adjustment on the earcups. Supra-aural though, which isn't my cup of tea...

anyhow, check 'em out or remenisce, whichever category you fall under...

chubbily, Chubbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails They don't make 'em like they used to...-dsc02311.jpg   They don't make 'em like they used to...-dsc02312.jpg   They don't make 'em like they used to...-dsc02313.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey everyone, I was at an estate sale and picked these up for $10.
    That sure brings back some distant memories. I had a set when I was starting out in the early 70s. I think I paid something like $35 for mine. They served double duty as neck muscle exercisers with their massive weight.

My favorites were from Stax and Jecklin. I had one of the lower end Stax models, but really loved the Jecklin Floats that were sold at the audio shop where I worked in college. They had massive electrostatic panels for headphones and created a large virtual environment.

rw

Hahahaha, those things are awesome!! I would hook those up to my portable anyday, just to see the reactions it garners. Fantastic link E-stat. Yes the weight is insane on the 4AA, I haven't worn them for any extended period but I'm sure a shot of steroids and some painkillers before hand would be needed...

BTW, how was the fit of that set? It looks like you would have to balance it atop your head. Did it come with some kind of chin strap? Hahahhaa, again, too much, I can't stop looking at them...

Ah, man, The Jecklin's! Those were truly great!! Such a design, too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    BTW, how was the fit of that set? It looks like you would have to balance it atop your head. Did it come with some kind of chin strap? Hahahhaa, again, too much, I can't stop looking at them...
    No chin strap. They were actually quite comfortable and really not that heavy with a lightweight, but well made plastic frame. And they could crank!

rw

I never owned Koss Pro 4A's but did own Koss Electrostatic headphones of the same era. They were a similar form factor and weight, and from me, were brutal to wear. It was them the convinced me that I really didn't like headphones despite the great resolution of these 'phones.

The Koss Electrostatics, BTW, were considered state of the art at the time, (as I recall -- long time ago) and cost me a then stupendous C$400, (maybe $2400 today). They had to be driven by a power amplfier, no phono jack for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The Koss Electrostatics, BTW, were considered state of the art at the time, (as I recall -- long time ago) ...
    The ESP-9s didn't hold a candle to the Jecklin Floats. They were $300 in 1974 when ESP-9s were $150.
    rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 09-01-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Thread Information