• 02-05-2008, 05:41 AM
    melvin walker
    Are There any audiophiles on this forum ?
    First what is an audiophile ? High -End Audio The complete Guide defines an audiophile "Attempt at making the hardware disappear , when listening for pleasure or listening critically , constantly changing equipment , listening to the equipment rather than the music."

I have noticed that the majority of the audio equipment displayed on AV is not high -end .
    Whether vintage are new .
    "
  • 02-05-2008, 05:54 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melvin walker
    I have noticed that the majority of the audio equipment displayed on AV is not high -end."

And.......
  • 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM
    SlumpBuster
    Another cohesive and well thought out question from Melvin!

Its a garbage question if you're going to rely on that garbage definition. In the first part of the definition, an audiophile is trying to "make the equipment disappear." But, in the second part of the definition, the audiophile is "listening to the equipment rather than the music." The definition defeats itself. Also, "constantly changing equipment" doesn't define anything. If that were criteria, then SVI would be the most accomplished audiophile here.

Mel, you jump from what is an "audiophile" to what is "hi-end." The two are not related. Being an audiophile is not dependant on the equipment you own. It is dependant on you level of appreciation. You can be an audiophile with no equipment. If you are going to the free concert series in local parks, you can be an audiophile. If you're doing the rounds of the hi-fi shops on the weekends, you can be an audiophile. Just as you can an oneophile relying on free wine tastings.
  • 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM
    GMichael
    That depends. Do you believe that being an audiophile is dependent on the price a person pays for their audio equipment? I don't see that in your definition, but it appears to be what matters to you.
    So, what definition are we going by?
  • 02-05-2008, 06:09 AM
    markw
    "listening to the equipment rather than the music."
    What a horrid way to listen to music. That's like focusing in on a tiny imperfection on a beautiful woman's shoulder while making slow, sweet love.

After years of "critical listening" with a specific goal in mind, I'm just pleased as punch that my systems do an excellent job of making the music I listen to at home sound very much like the music I listen to live considering the physical and economic constraints that we mere mortals must abide by.

That was the aforementioned "specific goal" I had in mind. Once that goal has been achieved to one's own satisfaction, what's the point of continuing? You can only go half way into the forest before you start coming out of it.

Apparently, since you swear your 50 year-old JBL's are the epitome of speaker design and the Marantz 7C/9 combo is the ultimate in amplifier design, you can't logically argue this point.

And, as for that "making the hardware disappear" stuff, just leave your equipment on the street or your front porch. Believe me, it''ll disappear.

You might want to try on a new suit. The old one is getting threadbare.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:19 AM
    noddin0ff
    Is there anyone on this forum that knows the difference between "are" (a verb) and "or" (a conjunction)?
  • 02-05-2008, 06:21 AM
    markw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Is there anyone on this forum that knows the difference between "are" (a verb) and "or" (a conjunction)?

What or you trying to say?

Yeah, I caught it, too.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM
    SlumpBuster
    Slumpy's Sub $350.00 "audiophile" kit: Grado SR-60 headphones ($69), Project Head Box MkII ($129), Cambridge DVD player or the like on Ebay for approx $125.

Anyone care to argue?
  • 02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

First what is an audiophile ? High -End Audio The complete Guide defines an audiophile "Attempt at making the hardware disappear , when listening for pleasure or listening critically , constantly changing equipment , listening to the equipment rather than the music."

I have noticed that the majority of the audio equipment displayed on AV is not high -end .
    Whether vintage are new .
    "

Based on your definition there are numerous audiophiles on this site... However, you are clearly not one of them....

The fact that you hold on to 50 year old equipment... means that you are not 'constantly changing equipment'...

And further, I would suspect that many of the posters here have spent more on audio equipment in the last 3 years, than you have in the last 20.... so to use your own words to describe your behaviour, it's.... CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.....

Now stop pretending that your vintage gear is the best thing ever made, as an excuse to justify the fact that you can no longer afford 'high end' equipment... and even better yet... stop pretending to be an audiophile....
  • 02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
    Feanor
    First of all
    Quote:

I have noticed that the majority of the audio equipment displayed on AV is not high -end . Whether vintage are new .
    "

Per your quote above, Robert Harley doesn't actually say the the audiophile equipment has to be high end. According to Harley, the audiophile is a person who is making an attempt at making the hardware disappear, etc.. A person who is contrained by budget, time, or environment but is doing his/her best within these contraints can fairly called an audiphile. Do you not agree? In any case even the highest end equipment doesn't disappear.

Another part of the Harley definition, (not that I necessarily agree with this part), is the the audiophile is "constantly changing equipment". I guess that leaves you out given your systems are mostly vintage when better newer equipment is available.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:43 AM
    melvin walker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    That depends. Do you believe that being an audiophile is dependent on the price a person pays for their audio equipment? I don't see that in your definition, but it appears to be what matters to you.
    So, what definition are we going by?

A very easy question . Certainly the price of audio equipment is critical. I again will use cars as an example, There is no doubt that Ferrari builds the finest sports cars in the world , Rolls Royce the finest luxury cars and Mercedes S series the finest high performance sedans. They are all expensive and not for everyone.

Audio is no different the finest audio equipment is very expensive ,it is not unusual to spend as much as $20,000 for power amps or $50,000 for speakers. I would not be surprise that an audiophiles system today would be in the $40,000 range.

The audiophile is looking for the best. That means spending money , making changes , in a never ending attempt for perfection.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:45 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Yeah, several people have pointed that out. Not sure why he ignores it and keeps using are instead of or. I'm starting to get used to it. Maybe that's his plan.

How many lights do you see?
    Four.
    No, there are 5. Look again!
  • 02-05-2008, 06:47 AM
    melvin walker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Per your quote above, Robert Harley doesn't actually say the the audiophile equipment has to be high end. According to Harley, the audiophile is a person who is making an attempt at making the hardware disappear, etc.. A person who is contrained by budget, time, or environment but is doing his/her best within these contraints can fairly called an audiphile. Do you not agree? In any case even the highest end equipment doesn't disappear.

Another part of the Harley definition, (not that I necessarily agree with this part), is the the audiophile is "constantly changing equipment". I guess that leaves you out given your systems are mostly vintage when better newer equipment is available.

You are correct I am no longer an audiophile. I ceased making attempts at upgrading audio equipment in 1975. For me I had reached the end of the line , my audiophile days lasted 20 years.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:48 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

A very easy question . Certainly the price of audio equipment is critical. I again will use cars as an example, There is no doubt that Ferrari builds the finest sports cars in the world , Rolls Royce the finest luxury cars and Mercedes S series the finest high performance sedans. They are all expensive and not for everyone.

Audio is no different the finest audio equipment is very expensive ,it is not unusual to spend as much as $20,000 for power amps or $50,000 for speakers. I would not be surprise that an audiophiles system today would be in the $40,000 range.

The audiophile is looking for the best. That means spending money , making changes , in a never ending attempt for perfection.

In that case, I reject you as having any kind of clue. I will no longer waste my time with you.
    Unless it's to pick on you for being foolish.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:49 AM
    melvin walker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Yeah, several people have pointed that out. Not sure why he ignores it and keeps using are instead of or. I'm starting to get used to it. Maybe that's his plan.

How many lights do you see?
    Four.
    No, there are 5. Look again!

Is your interest grammar are audio , judging by your audio system it isn't audio.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:51 AM
    markw
    Well, Marvin, you old hypocrite...
    Quote:

A very easy question . Certainly the price of audio equipment is critical.

I guess it's time for you to sell all that old, outdated, obsolete crap you call a hi-fi and start looking and spending on some new stuff so you can hold on the your cherished title.

And, since you're in a spell-check mood, "I would not be surprise" makes no sense. The tense is wrong. Had you said either "I would not be surprised that an,,," or "It would not surprise me to see that an...".

In either case, your ignorance and lack of class is showing again. After all, how can one claim superiority if one cannot communicate correctly?
  • 02-05-2008, 06:52 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Is your interest grammar are audio , judging by your audio system it isn't audio.

Another foolish post by a foolish person. Try again.
  • 02-05-2008, 06:53 AM
    melvin walker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani
    Based on your definition there are numerous audiophiles on this site... However, you are clearly not one of them....

The fact that you hold on to 50 year old equipment... means that you are not 'constantly changing equipment'...

And further, I would suspect that many of the posters here have spent more on audio equipment in the last 3 years, than you have in the last 20.... so to use your own words to describe your behaviour, it's.... CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.....

Now stop pretending that your vintage gear is the best thing ever made, as an excuse to justify the fact that you can no longer afford 'high end' equipment... and even better yet... stop pretending to be an audiophile....

My dated audio equipment is worth three times as much as your so-called new audio equipment !
    Yes I am not an audiophile but neither are you !
  • 02-05-2008, 06:55 AM
    melvin walker
    Quote:

Are you hiding behind the fact that your audio system is low cost high-fi !
  • 02-05-2008, 06:57 AM
    melvin walker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    And.......

An excellent audio system , a true audiophile !
  • 02-05-2008, 07:00 AM
    melvin walker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    I guess it's time for you to sell all that old, outdated, obsolete crap you call a hi-fi and start looking and spending on some new stuff so you can hold on the your cherished title.

I would enjoy selling my old outdated obsolete equipment to you , but judging by your equipment , you can't afford it.
  • 02-05-2008, 07:01 AM
    markw
    Quote:

And who here ever claimed to be?

Now you're creating straw men? How disingenius of you.
  • 02-05-2008, 07:07 AM
    markw
    Are we back in grade school now?
    Quote:

I would enjoy selling my old outdated obsolete equipment to you , but judging by your equipment , you can't afford it.

Wow. I'm hurt. how can I ever show my face here again.

It's too bad you'll never get to hear my equipment. I've heard your speakers (in other locations, of course) and, for my purposes, my speakers beat yours hands down. They are nice but present a sound and image that harks back to the days of Eisehnower and Magnavox consoles. Not that that's bad, mind you, but there have been tremendous improvements since then. If all I wanted was a trip down memory lane then they would be perfect but, sorry, that's not for me. I don't have the toom to store antiques. So, enjoy your big, impressive boxes. a perfect, bloated, icon of days past, just like you.

It's too bad you can't appreciate a svelte planar. Obviously, you havent listened to music in the past fifty years either.

("Is your interest grammar are audio" Marvin, you ignorant, no stupid, putz. Don't you ever learn?)
  • 02-05-2008, 07:10 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

My dated audio equipment is worth three times as much as your so-called new audio equipment !

Congratulations!!!! I'm glad you finally realize that....
  • 02-05-2008, 07:29 AM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

Wow, how far we have come. What's really striking to me is that my Grandfather owned a pair of speakers just like the ones you own Mr. Walker. I just don't remeber him being a pr!ck about it to others who didn't have the same gear. If you relish your old gear, thats great. I applaud you for your wise purchse 30 YEARS ago.

You remind me of the one drunk who hangs out at the end of the bar. All he can do is be a loudmouthed ass, and remind people of what a "star" he was in High School. Relive the glory days old man, and keep telling yourself that it was the best it will ever be. But I'm not trapped in your delusional ramblings, and neither are the rest of us. As my father in law says "I could complain, but no one would care. So why complain. If your not happy, work to change it. If not, shut the hell up!"

You need to go to www.audiowannabesfortotallosers.com I think you would fit right in. You might even get to be president some day.