Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    I'm sorry but I have to speak out.

I have been on this site for several years now and I have learned what "I thought" was a lot of helpful and useful information from who "I thought" were knowledgeable members of these forums.

Melvin has shown me the light. I now know you crackheads don't know what the hell your talking about. Your equipment sucks and to be honest, I think you guys are way too stuck on trying to take advantage of the current technology in audio and video. We all, well Melvin and I know, the best in audio is from 40 to 60 years ago. Consumer reports even says, I mean said, it was so back then. Who am I and who the heck are you guys to question consumer reports and quite frankly, Melvin? We need to embrace our elderly and learn from them. Even if they have a mild case of MadCow. I'm just glad Shady Days Assisted Living has free wi-fi so Melvin can impart his knowledge upon us.

So to all your dumbarse, inexperienced, know-nothings.......................Screw You! You have wasted the last, um, 5 years of my audio/video life? I tried to put together and very modest system that sounded good. I am not a Audio or HT enthusiast but rather would like a decent system to watch movies and listen to music. That's all I have ever wanted and you took advantage of me by spouting off what I thought was valid information. Who knew you guys were really just idiots living in the present. I feel so ashamed.

I must take a step back at this time and decide if I can still allow myself to be a part of this "sham" of a forum. That or wait until Melvin starts his own like SVI did. I have really learned alot about Dinosours over the past year as well.

Ashame-ed-ly...........JSE
    Very nice. I'd fire a greenie at you if I could.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    That or wait until Melvin starts his own like SVI did. I have really learned alot about Dinosours over the past year as well.

Ashame-ed-ly...........JSE

I also learned a lot about dinosaurs on SVI's site. Do you think all that boy on boy dinosaur action is why there were no more little dinosaurs and they became extinct?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I also learned a lot about dinosaurs on SVI's site. Do you think all that boy on boy dinosaur action is why there were no more little dinosaurs and they became extinct?
    Not directly. But because of these blatantly lustful and inappropriate actions, they were deemed unworthy. That's when the powers to be sent an asteroid to destroy them and their sinful ways.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

He has already declared me low class.
    You're still the head of my class.

JSE

Could be but the one known ramification was the new breed of female dinasour called the "Licalotapous".
    Last edited by JSE; 02-05-2008 at 04:41 PM.

melvin cursed them, because their speakers weren't 12 feet apart...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended

Question

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Wow. I'm hurt. how can I ever show my face here again.

It's too bad you'll never get to hear my equipment. I've heard your speakers (in other locations, of course) and, for my purposes, my speakers beat yours hands down. They are nice but present a sound and image that harks back to the days of Eisehnower and Magnavox consoles. Not that that's bad, mind you, but there have been tremendous improvements since then. If all I wanted was a trip down memory lane then they would be perfect but, sorry, that's not for me. I don't have the toom to store antiques. So, enjoy your big, impressive boxes. a perfect, bloated, icon of days past, just like you.

It's too bad you can't appreciate a svelte planar. Obviously, you havent listened to music in the past fifty years either.

("Is your interest grammar are audio" Marvin, you ignorant, no stupid, putz. Don't you ever learn?)
    There are outstanding speakers today. They are very experience.
    Again using the car example. In 1954 Mercedes sold the gull-wing 300SL for about $7500
    Today that same car came bring on average from $150,000 to $500,000.
    The Hartsfield speakers are no different , in 1954 a Hartsfield sold for about $800.00 that speaker today sells for about $18,000 to $30,000 depending on the year.
    I have the earlier model horn which was changed later to lower cost. That Hartsfield brings even more.

I listen to music everyday I have three other audio systems. Are you an audiophile ?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    There are outstanding speakers today. They are very experience.
    Again using the car example. In 1954 Mercedes sold the gull-wing 300SL for about $7500
    The Hartsfield speakers are no different , in 1954 a Hartsfield sold for about $800.00 that speaker today sells for about $18,000 to $30,000 depending on the year.
    I have the earlier model horn which was changed later to lower cost. That Hartsfield brings even more.

I listen to music everyday I have three other audio systems. Are you an audiophile ?

Melvin, more old cars and old stereos, please tell me how this pertains to AR and it's members.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

strange, i've seen most pairs go for under $10k...

oh yeah, again you forgot the word inflation.
    you also forgot the fact that the hartfields aren't always bought for their sound quality (heck, for 18k, you have to be a complete moron to buy one of them just for sound quality). Most of them are sold for their rarity. Just like the Paragon, which actually doesn't sound that good.

and how can a speaker be 'experience'?

and yes, there are outstanding speakers today. Many of which will sound better than your hartsfield for less than $18k.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Does anyone want some coffee? I'm making up a pot.

oh, yeah,

Thanks GM
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

There are outstanding speakers today.
    But, by your own admission they are not new, therefore obsolete and not up to the standards by which you judge everyone else here.

They are very experience.
    I certainly hope you know what you're trying to say here. Nobody else does.

That just means people are enthralled with it's mystique. It doesn't make it any more modern of a car. It's nice, but it's still over fifty years old and is outperformed by many newer, more pedestrian cars when using adjusted dollars. Compare it's current worth to a modern car and you'll see that it's performance lags, even to a modern Mercedes.

Again, that's not a measure of absolute performance. It's an arbitrary figure applied to something that, in ultimate usefulness. is overpriced.

Well then, find someone willing to pay your asking price. and upgrade your equipment. Maybe then you can walk it like you talk it.

I listen to music everyday.
    And, your point being? I'll bet you do and you even hear it when none is actually playing.

I have three other audio systems.
    And, so? Actually, so do I and most likely many others here can also truthfully make that claim.

And, while you're jumping head-first into the "mine's bigger than yours" category, I don't need artificial stimulants to enjoy a happy marriage. Methinks yours is all in your head, or at least your hand.

Are you an audiophile ?
    You really don't read the posts here, do you? If you did, you would realize that you're the only one that attaches any sort of importance to that title.

Face it, mel ol' buddy. You're a fraud. We all know it, but we do enjoy kicking you around.

Suspended

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    so you say the one owning all the exotic audio gears 'just because he can' is more of an audiophile than another person, who owns slightly less exotic gear but actually cares about it, and tries to get the most out of it?

let me give you the example with cars: there are people owning all the rolls royces and ferraris, just because they can afford them, but there are also people looking for a really good car and cannot afford the ferrari or the rolls, they settle with a B&W 5 series, but does that mean they like the car less than the one with the rolls? NO. all it says is that the person with the rolls has more money.

same with audio. most people cannot afford to have all the exotic gears, but does that mean that they don't care about it? and does it mean that the person with the best equipment ever made cares about it? no.

sure equipment has something to do with being an audiophile, and sure an audiophile is always looking for 'the best', which, by the way, hasn't been defined yet. I for example would hate the sound of your JBL's, just because I don't like the JBL sound, and especially not the horn sound.

no.
    Being an audiophile involves loving your gears as much as the music. It takes care, time, and love.

you can be an audiophile if you haven't upgraded your equipment for the past 20 years. Because there is always something you can improve in your system without having to upgrade. Also, there is always better, it just never ends, so following your definition (well, not yours, but one from some big guide to things that aren't even defined, and can't be defined), no one on this entire planet is an audiophile.

that said, evaluate my system as much as you want, and say whatever you want, but all I know is that I love my system, I care about it, just as I love the music. That, In my opinion, makes me and other people an audiophile.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    You love music and you also enjoy your audio system. An audiophile does not necessarily love music ,an audiophile loves music equipment. He spends most of his time changing speakers , amps , cartridges etc. An audiophile is never happy with his system.
    I was an audiophile and had several friends who were audiophiles. No one was satisfied with their system. I have been in several car clubs and why do you think they keep improving on high end cars ? First it is 200hp , 300hp, 380hp, 400hp , 500hp, now it is all
    the way up to 600hp. Is that enough NO !

I have had in my main system three pairs of speakers , three power amps , three preamps , five tone arms , four TT , three tuners , six cartridges and two tape recorders.
    I have audiophiles friends who have made many more changes.
    Much like the car hobbyist I was never happy. I have made changes on the Hartsfield ,
    When JBL included the 075 tweeter and a Separate crossover to extend the high end.
    I was not satisfied with the 075 and replaced it with the 175 DLH.

No you are not an audiophile , you haven's spent enough money ! You haven't made enough changes. I haven't been an audiophile for 30 years.
    I moved on to other hobbies. I enjoy discussing hi-fi as I did when I was an audiophile.

Suspended

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    But, by your own admission they are not new, therefore obsolete and not up to the standards by which you judge everyone else here.

I certainly hope you know what you're trying to say here. Nobody else does.

That just means people are enthralled with it's mystique. It doesn't make it any more modern of a car. It's nice, but it's still over fifty years old and is outperformed by many newer, more pedestrian cars when using adjusted dollars. Compare it's current worth to a modern car and you'll see that it's performance lags, even to a modern Mercedes.

Again, that's not a measure of absolute performance. It's an arbitrary figure applied to something that, in ultimate usefulness. is overpriced.

Well then, find someone willing to pay your asking price. and upgrade your equipment. Maybe then you can walk it like you talk it.

And, your point being? I'll bet you do and you even hear it when none is actually playing.

And, so? Actually, so do I and most likely many others here can also truthfully make that claim.

And, while you're jumping head-first into the "mine's bigger than yours" category, I don't need artificial stimulants to enjoy a happy marriage. Methinks yours is all in your head, or at least your hand.

You really don't read the posts here, do you? If you did, you would realize that you're the only one that attaches any sort of importance to that title.

Face it, mel ol' buddy. You're a fraud. We all know it, but we do enjoy kicking you around.
    Make some changes , you can do better than that audio system you have !
    But than you are not an audiophile.

Suspended

Cool

And so it goes. Speaking of stuck records I see Melvin is still with us. Melvin you have not evaluated my system yet.
    An excellent audio system. Are you happy with it ?

oh, yeah,

Thanks GM
    Kona coming right up. I made one of those lemon tarts that Bernd gave us the recipe for. Like a slice?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Are you hiding behind the fact that your audio system is low cost high-fi !
    Nope. I just thought it was 'Stupid Question Day' and jumped right in. I'm not arrogant enough to assume the mantle of audiophile.

An excellent audio system. Are you happy with it ?

I enjoy it immensely. Currently I am listening to one of the LSO Live recordings. This one is Beethoven Symphony No. 3 "Eroica" and Bernard Haitink conducting.

By the way Melvin I do not retaliate if someone does not like me or my system. I can easily seperate my personal feelings from the job of moderator. Or at least seperate my feelings from my actions as a moderator.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani

Ever notice how much Audiophile sounds like Paedophile?

........... An audiophile does not necessarily love music ,an audiophile loves music equipment. He spends most of his time changing speakers , amps , cartridges etc. An audiophile is never happy with his system.......
    The sad part is that this definition is probably the most correct one... Audiophilia is essentially a mental condition, a constant state of disatisfaction with one's audio equipment... not about enjoying the music...

One thing I give Melvin credit for.... he's killed any desire I might ever have of becoming an Audiophile....

I'm much happier just being an Audio Enthusiast.....

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Kona coming right up. I made one of those lemon tarts that Bernd gave us the recipe for. Like a slice?

oh, yes, certainly sir...

thank you very much
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Make some changes , you can do better than that audio system you have !
    Why? To please you? Pffttttt!

I'm perfectly content with what I currently have.

Perhaps a you can do better and improve your lonely, miserable life to a point where you aren't concerned with us? ..or at least end it.

Get used to it, old man. If you really think you're "hurting our feelings" by this audiophile nonsense, know this. We've got enough self-confidence in ourselves and out judgment to realize that you're essentially trying to knock down the walls of Jericho by spitting at it.

You're just making some of us rethink our positions on euthanasia.

But than you are not an audiophile.
    Actually, you mean "but THEN...".

Are you under the impression you're insulting me when you say that? Get this old man... I never claimed to be. You're the one that's crying the blues (or classical, jazz or rock, whatever) because, by your own definition, you're not an audiophile, not us. We're just laughing at your contortions to deny admitting it to yourself, that's all.

(I see you've learned to kiss up to the moderators, eh?)

No you are not an audiophile , you haven's spent enough money ! You haven't made enough changes. I haven't been an audiophile for 30 years.
    I moved on to other hobbies. I enjoy discussing hi-fi as I did when I was an audiophile.

who are you to tell that.

and do you think €12.000 isn't enough yet? I'm 17 for **** sake, do you think I just won a lottery or so?

let me give you a quick currency conversion, €12000 is 17 781.6 US$ For a 17 year old kid. I'm not even allowed to drive a car yet!

think that isn't enough yet?

I've went through 4 amps, 3 sets of speakers, 2 turntables, lots of cables 3 cartridges, got a cd player, and much more. In 1,5 years. Do you think I haven't upgraded enough?

this year alone I went from a €450 denon to a €4500 Mcintosh, I went from a pc to a decent CD player, I went from stacked advents to €5000 Thiels. IN ONE YEAR.

isn't that enough yet?

And by your stolen definition, I'm not an audiophile. By my own, and many others opinions, I am.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Suspended

Smile

I enjoy it immensely. Currently I am listening to one of the LSO Live recordings. This one is Beethoven Symphony No. 3 "Eroica" and Bernard Haitink conducting.

By the way Melvin I do not retaliate if someone does not like me or my system. I can easily seperate my personal feelings from the job of moderator. Or at least seperate my feelings from my actions as a moderator.
    I enjoy discussing audio. I asked the question are you happy ? If you are happy with your audio system than you are not an audiophile .
    Audiophile don't listen to music they listen to equipment and are very rarely happy with their equipment.
    You have excellent musical taste.
    I have several recording of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. Eroica is my favorite Beethoven.,
    alone with his 9th. All of my Beethoven's are on Lp.

I enjoy discussing audio. I asked the question are you happy ? If you are happy with your audio system than you are not an audiophile .
    Audiophile don't listen to music they listen to equipment and are very rarely happy with their equipment.
    You have excellent musical taste.
    I have several recording of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. Eroica is my favorite Beethoven.,
    alone with his 9th. All of my Beethoven's are on Lp.

Maybe I am an audiophile since all my equipment excepting the turntable are only months old. Now if I am still happy a year from now then maybe I am not an audiophile.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    who are you to tell that.

and do you think €12.000 isn't enough yet? I'm 17 for **** sake, do you think I just won a lottery or so?

let me give you a quick currency conversion, €12000 is 17 781.6 US$ For a 17 year old kid. I'm not even allowed to drive a car yet!

think that isn't enough yet?

I've went through 4 amps, 3 sets of speakers, 2 turntables, lots of cables 3 cartridges, got a cd player, and much more. In 1,5 years. Do you think I haven't upgraded enough?

this year alone I went from a €450 denon to a €4500 Mcintosh, I went from a pc to a decent CD player, I went from stacked advents to €5000 Thiels. IN ONE YEAR.

isn't that enough yet?

And by your stolen definition, I'm not an audiophile. By my own, and many others opinions, I am.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    You have a right to your opinion. Your age is not an issue. If you are making all those changes than I withdraw my earlier assessment , you are an audiophile . For anyone to spend $17,000 in one year is excellent. What are you going to spend next year ?
    You need more upgrades, an audiophile is constanly upgrading. It's a hobby.
    No it is not enough.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information