Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    A very easy question . Certainly the price of audio equipment is critical. I again will use cars as an example, There is no doubt that Ferrari builds the finest sports cars in the world , Rolls Royce the finest luxury cars and Mercedes S series the finest high performance sedans. They are all expensive and not for everyone.

Audio is no different the finest audio equipment is very expensive ,it is not unusual to spend as much as $20,000 for power amps or $50,000 for speakers. I would not be surprise that an audiophiles system today would be in the $40,000 range.

The audiophile is looking for the best. That means spending money , making changes , in a never ending attempt for perfection.

so you say the one owning all the exotic audio gears 'just because he can' is more of an audiophile than another person, who owns slightly less exotic gear but actually cares about it, and tries to get the most out of it?

let me give you the example with cars: there are people owning all the rolls royces and ferraris, just because they can afford them, but there are also people looking for a really good car and cannot afford the ferrari or the rolls, they settle with a B&W 5 series, but does that mean they like the car less than the one with the rolls? NO. all it says is that the person with the rolls has more money.

same with audio. most people cannot afford to have all the exotic gears, but does that mean that they don't care about it? and does it mean that the person with the best equipment ever made cares about it? no.

sure equipment has something to do with being an audiophile, and sure an audiophile is always looking for 'the best', which, by the way, hasn't been defined yet. I for example would hate the sound of your JBL's, just because I don't like the JBL sound, and especially not the horn sound.

no.
    Being an audiophile involves loving your gears as much as the music. It takes care, time, and love.

you can be an audiophile if you haven't upgraded your equipment for the past 20 years. Because there is always something you can improve in your system without having to upgrade. Also, there is always better, it just never ends, so following your definition (well, not yours, but one from some big guide to things that aren't even defined, and can't be defined), no one on this entire planet is an audiophile.

that said, evaluate my system as much as you want, and say whatever you want, but all I know is that I love my system, I care about it, just as I love the music. That, In my opinion, makes me and other people an audiophile.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    I'm NOT clicking on that link Beefy!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    What a horrid way to listen to music. That's like focusing in on a tiny imperfection on a beautiful woman's shoulder while making slow, sweet love.
    Oh Jeeeeeeeeezzz.

(doing my best to trash this thread)

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Oh Jeeeeeeeeezzz.

(doing my best to trash this thread)
    It would have to be some kind of imperfection. Like a festering blackhead, or a really hairy mole. That could ruin the mood, no matter how hot she is.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    No. Only if she had hairs growing out her nipples.

No. Only if she had hairs growing out her nipples.
    I must confess I once dated a gal who had hair on her nipples. She was subsequently dropped in lieu of someone who didn't. It was rather distracting.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I must confess I once dated a gal who had hair on her nipples. She was subsequently dropped in lieu of someone who didn't. It was rather distracting.
    Well there goes my breakfast.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Equating price with love for sound is like saying that the guy with the most expensive pool cue will always win in a match. Just foolishness.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Well there goes my breakfast.
    Why? Were you going to eat a hairy nipple, and now are reconsidering? Please don't stop on my account. If hairy nipples are your bag, we are all ok with that.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Equating price with love for sound is like saying that the guy with the most expensive pool cue will always win in a match. Just foolishness.
    Uhhh... EXCUSE ME?!?!?!

Suspended
    Isn't Hairy Nipple the name of a mixed drink?

Suspended
    I was waiting for this one.

I also dated a gal who had a single hair growing out of her aeriola (sp?) She was actually very proud of that hair, and wouldn't let me bite it off.

Isn't Hairy Nipple the name of a mixed drink?
    That's a "slippery nipple." Not the same.

I have a $2000 Q and have been beaten by guys who used a house Q.
    I have also beaten guys who use $20,000 Q's.
    Price of equipment does not equal love for the game and/or ability.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Why? Were you going to eat a hairy nipple, and now are reconsidering? Please don't stop on my account. If hairy nipples are your bag, we are all ok with that.
    No and No, I like my women barren.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    I have a $2000 Q...
    Oh... Nevermind.

(mine's $200)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    No and No, I like my women barren.
    Barren? Did you mean friggid LDB?

Oh... Nevermind.

(mine's $200)
    Doesn't mean a thing when it comes to skill. Or being an audiophile.

Suspended
    I know GM. I love my Viking Q. The action I get on the cueball is pretty astonishing in my mind, so that makes it all good.

Viking makes a very nice Q. The best part is that whether you buy one of their $100 Q's or one of their $1000 Q's, you are getting the same quality shaft. And that's where it counts. The decorations on the butt end are all about looking good.
    The only reason I spent that much is because I had just won $5000 in a tournament down in PA. The billiards expo was going on in the next room. Saw a Q I wanted and figured, "why not give a little back to where it came from?"

Suspended
    That's cool. I'll bet you miss the excitement and competition don't you?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    And so it goes. Speaking of stuck records I see Melvin is still with us. Melvin you have not evaluated my system yet.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    And so it goes. Speaking of stuck records I see Melvin is still with us. Melvin you have not evaluated my system yet.

Your stuff is too new John. He can't evaluate it for another 20 are so years

JSE
    I'm sorry but I have to speak out.

I have been on this site for several years now and I have learned what "I thought" was a lot of helpful and useful information from who "I thought" were knowledgeable members of these forums.

Melvin has shown me the light. I now know you crackheads don't know what the hell your talking about. Your equipment sucks and to be honest, I think you guys are way too stuck on trying to take advantage of the current technology in audio and video. We all, well Melvin and I know, the best in audio is from 40 to 60 years ago. Consumer reports even says, I mean said, it was so back then. Who am I and who the heck are you guys to question consumer reports and quite frankly, Melvin? We need to embrace our elderly and learn from them. Even if they have a mild case of MadCow. I'm just glad Shady Days Assisted Living has free wi-fi so Melvin can impart his knowledge upon us.

So to all your dumbarse, inexperienced, know-nothings.......................Screw You! You have wasted the last, um, 5 years of my audio/video life? I tried to put together and very modest system that sounded good. I am not a Audio or HT enthusiast but rather would like a decent system to watch movies and listen to music. That's all I have ever wanted and you took advantage of me by spouting off what I thought was valid information. Who knew you guys were really just idiots living in the present. I feel so ashamed.

I must take a step back at this time and decide if I can still allow myself to be a part of this "sham" of a forum. That or wait until Melvin starts his own like SVI did. I have really learned alot about Dinosours over the past year as well.

Ashame-ed-ly...........JSE

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    He has already declared me low class.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

That's cool. I'll bet you miss the excitement and competition don't you?
    Yeah, I do. Especially when they invite me back each year to ref at their team semi-finals. After a weekend of hanging out with my old friends and meeting new ones, I start to really miss "the good old days."
    I keep in touch with most of them on their local website. The operator there set me up with my old status of Division Representative even though I haven't been a member in almost 3 years. It's nice to keep up with the goings on.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information