Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Does anyone want some coffee? I'm making up a pot.
    DAMMIT! I just got back from the cafeteria with a cup of Starbucks.

Suspended

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Why? To please you? Pffttttt!

I'm perfectly content with what I currently have.

Perhaps a you can do better and improve your lonely, miserable life to a point where you aren't concerned with us? ..or at least end it.

Get used to it, old man. If you really think you're "hurting our feelings" by this audiophile nonsense, know this. We've got enough self-confidence in ourselves and out judgment to realize that you're essentially trying to knock down the walls of Jericho by spitting at it.

You're just making some of us rethink our positions on euthanasia.

Actually, you mean "but THEN...".

Are you under the impression you're insulting me when you say that? Get this old man... I never claimed to be. You're the one that's crying the blues (or classical, jazz or rock, whatever) because, by your own definition, you're not an audiophile, not us. We're just laughing at your contortions to deny admitting it to yourself, that's all.

(I see you've learned to kiss up to the moderators, eh?)
    I know a man who just purchased a new Honda and he is happy. If he is happy I am overjoyed. He is not a car person, no car person would buy a Honda. I hope you get my point , how ever old you are.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    I enjoy discussing audio. I asked the question are you happy ? If you are happy with your audio system than you are not an audiophile .
    Audiophile don't listen to music they listen to equipment and are very rarely happy with their equipment.
    You have excellent musical taste.
    I have several recording of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. Eroica is my favorite Beethoven.,
    alone with his 9th. All of my Beethoven's are on Lp.

then where's the fun?

you buy a car to enjoy it.

You buy audio equipment to enjoy it.

agreed, you'll want good audio equipment. but if no audiophile enjoyed his/her system, then what would it be like?

There are very few things better than coming home from a busy day and just dropping yourself in your chair, putting on some music and enjoying it.

I enjoy the music. I enjoy my gears, I enjoy looking at them, hearing them and even touching them. but according to you I'm not an audiophile because I like music?

Then what do you do? Listen to friggin test tones all day long, just to see your already dried out caps in your equipment aren't gone completely yet?

maybe it's time to analyse the word 'audiophile'.

it actually comes from latin. Audio philia. Which stands for 'friend of audio'. Audio, audio is often defined as 'hearable sound'. So, literally seen, an audiophile enjoys hearable sound. The hearable sound is sometimes also defined as 'sound between 20hz and 20khz, for humans'. our definition then becomes 'an audiophile enjoys sounds between 20hz and 20khz, the hearable frequencies for the human kind.

Then, to achieve to listen to these frequencies, one needs good audio equipment (Gears). but litteraly seen, it doesn't even mention the word gears. logically seen it says you need good equipment (audiophile grade, but this refferation is often misused, so I'll just name it 'good equipment'), but you don't nessecarily have to enjoy them.

This, is just another faulty (although somehow correct too) definition of 'what is an audiophile'. Just to prove your definition, stolen from some book made in the 50's is wrong too.

One cannot define what an audiophile is, but you certainly seem to take it too litteraly.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    I'm sorry but I have to speak out.

I have been on this site for several years now and I have learned what "I thought" was a lot of helpful and useful information from who "I thought" were knowledgeable members of these forums.

Melvin has shown me the light. I now know you crackheads don't know what the hell your talking about. Your equipment sucks and to be honest, I think you guys are way too stuck on trying to take advantage of the current technology in audio and video. We all, well Melvin and I know, the best in audio is from 40 to 60 years ago. Consumer reports even says, I mean said, it was so back then. Who am I and who the heck are you guys to question consumer reports and quite frankly, Melvin? We need to embrace our elderly and learn from them. Even if they have a mild case of MadCow. I'm just glad Shady Days Assisted Living has free wi-fi so Melvin can impart his knowledge upon us.

So to all your dumbarse, inexperienced, know-nothings.......................Screw You! You have wasted the last, um, 5 years of my audio/video life? I tried to put together and very modest system that sounded good. I am not a Audio or HT enthusiast but rather would like a decent system to watch movies and listen to music. That's all I have ever wanted and you took advantage of me by spouting off what I thought was valid information. Who knew you guys were really just idiots living in the present. I feel so ashamed.

I must take a step back at this time and decide if I can still allow myself to be a part of this "sham" of a forum. That or wait until Melvin starts his own like SVI did. I have really learned alot about Dinosours over the past year as well.

Ashame-ed-ly...........JSE
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaaaah! You weren't even alive back then Bonehead!!! And if you were (and speaking of nipples) you were probably sucking Shinner through a nipple stretched over the bottle.

Get real. Freakin' Southerners.

You have a right to your opinion. Your age is not an issue. If you are making all those changes than I withdraw my earlier assessment , you are an audiophile . For anyone to spend $17,000 in one year is excellent. What are you going to spend next year ?
    You need more upgrades, an audiophile is constanly upgrading. It's a hobby.
    No it is not enough.
    and suddenly I am an audiophile...

I've bought my gears secondhand, so I spent less (still much) than $17k. The total system worth (retail) is $17k. this year will probably bring new gear too, maybe a projector + projection screen, and build a HT around that, or a DAC, and maybe a new TT too, and I'm spending money on cables now.

there is a limit though. I can see myself spend $500 on a cable (I need very short runs, both for interconnects and speakercables, so It is pretty much), maybe even $1000 if it's worth it. Problem is that there are many cables costing much more than that, I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a cable anymore. Then how do I 'upgrade'? If I have a $1000 cable, then why bother buying another cable that is equally good? Just to have something else?

I believe that is more supporting the economy rather than upgrading your system.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Suspended

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    and suddenly I am an audiophile...

I've bought my gears secondhand, so I spent less (still much) than $17k. The total system worth (retail) is $17k. this year will probably bring new gear too, maybe a projector + projection screen, and build a HT around that, or a DAC, and maybe a new TT too, and I'm spending money on cables now.

there is a limit though. I can see myself spend $500 on a cable (I need very short runs, both for interconnects and speakercables, so It is pretty much), maybe even $1000 if it's worth it. Problem is that there are many cables costing much more than that, I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a cable anymore. Then how do I 'upgrade'? If I have a $1000 cable, then why bother buying another cable that is equally good? Just to have something else?

I believe that is more supporting the economy rather than upgrading your system.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    An excellent idea buying audio used , I hope there are good deals in Belgium. Are you buying locally are on Ebay ?
    Forget about the cables buy audio equipment. Cables will not make that much of a difference in the quality of sound.
    Speakers are the most important , followed by amps.

80 replies in the same day... I'm impressed. You should be proud of yourself Mr. Walker

An excellent idea buying audio used , I hope there are good deals in Belgium. Are you buying locally are on Ebay ?
    Forget about the cables buy audio equipment. Cables will not make that much of a difference in the quality of sound.
    Speakers are the most important , followed by amps.

I found the cables to make a big difference.

Stepping up from the Kimber PBJ to the Siltech MXT new york made a huge difference.
    soundstage got much wider and more natural, imaging is exellent, sound has more body and is more detailed as before. It feels the system has 'grown' somehow by changing the cables.

I tried several other cables too, all gave a different sound. When I say try, I mean on loan from my dealer. He, for one, is one of the few remaining hifi dealers that actually knows all the gears he has, and were made. both the 'salespersons', are audiophiles according to my definition.

I don't buy on Ebay, I tried to get a tt there (a thorens TD160), but always got outbid.
    Luckily, my dealer has a big 'stock' of secondhand gears too. I bought all the secondhand gears there (in fact, my entire system came from that dealer). He gives price reductions on most gears, including the second hand gear, and has exellent service. (I have 2 years warranty on my speakers, which I got from the dealer.)

Buying used is usually a good thing. I wouldn't buy secondhand digital things though, since the technology improves fast, so when you buy a secondhand cd player or so, sound quality is most likely to be not as good as a similary priced new unit.

Right now, Strawinsky's 'le sacre du printemps - apollo' is playing, and with the kimber, it began to sound harsh and grainy, also really thin and uncontrolled, especially on more busy parts. With the siltech, the sound got more body and the busier parts have more defenition, as well as the other parts. There are several parts where there is a group of cellos/contrabasses playing, and with the kimber PBJ's they sounded like one big 'thing', generating a boomier, undefined sound. The siltech gave defenition, and actually made 'the big thing' sound like a group of cellos/contrabasses.

I agree that speakers have a larger influence on sound, just like amps. But cables certainly add their part too, albeit more 'subtle', but still making a big difference overall.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Suspended

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    then where's the fun?

you buy a car to enjoy it.

You buy audio equipment to enjoy it.

agreed, you'll want good audio equipment. but if no audiophile enjoyed his/her system, then what would it be like?

There are very few things better than coming home from a busy day and just dropping yourself in your chair, putting on some music and enjoying it.

I enjoy the music. I enjoy my gears, I enjoy looking at them, hearing them and even touching them. but according to you I'm not an audiophile because I like music?

Then what do you do? Listen to friggin test tones all day long, just to see your already dried out caps in your equipment aren't gone completely yet?

maybe it's time to analyse the word 'audiophile'.

it actually comes from latin. Audio philia. Which stands for 'friend of audio'. Audio, audio is often defined as 'hearable sound'. So, literally seen, an audiophile enjoys hearable sound. The hearable sound is sometimes also defined as 'sound between 20hz and 20khz, for humans'. our definition then becomes 'an audiophile enjoys sounds between 20hz and 20khz, the hearable frequencies for the human kind.

Then, to achieve to listen to these frequencies, one needs good audio equipment (Gears). but litteraly seen, it doesn't even mention the word gears. logically seen it says you need good equipment (audiophile grade, but this refferation is often misused, so I'll just name it 'good equipment'), but you don't nessecarily have to enjoy them.

This, is just another faulty (although somehow correct too) definition of 'what is an audiophile'. Just to prove your definition, stolen from some book made in the 50's is wrong too.

One cannot define what an audiophile is, but you certainly seem to take it too litteraly.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Enjoy , than you are not a hobbyist. I remember one sunny afternoon I was enjoying an E-type Jag roaster , than alone came a BMW 2800CS. after he had almost destroyed that Jag , I went home with my tail between my legs and called the local Porsche dealer.
    Got 'em. Now I was happy again , so I thought.
    Than there was the newer Porsche , more power , than a Mercedes 500 , more room and now a 12 cylinder BMW , now underpowered.

What's next ? depends on the money. Books printed in the 1950's I wonder when the bible was printed ? Do you read the classics's? I am sorry you don't read.
    Please forgive me.

Mutant from table 9
    An excellent audio system. Are you happy with it ?
    That is Melvin referring to JM's system.

I'm going to attempt to say something that is actually germaine to audio. I love JM's system, granted I've never heard it. But let me tell you why I like it, something Melvin did not do.

JMs system includes the MoFi speakers and the Onkyo integrated. Two selections that wouldn't even get you past the coatcheck of certain "audiophile" circles. Very few of us are on unlimited budgets. Accordingly we seek compromises and bang for the buck solutions.

For example, that Parasound amp gets alot of play by alot of poeple as a great audio bargain. I love my vintage Yammie M series amp as another great audio bargain. Bill Bailey (Feanor) takes the cake with the sexy Monarch amps.

JM's system has synergy and doesn't fall prey to convential (read: bandwagon) wisdom. The MoFi and Onkyo are great finds by JM, put together with a great front end. It is not yet another Yammie/Paradigm system (like mine), or even Manley/Theil system. It is a system that shows a dedication to listening and a good ear, the gear follows.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

What's next ? depends on the money. Books printed in the 1950's I wonder when the bible was printed ? Do you read the classics's? I am sorry you don't read.
    Please forgive me.

I read, I also read hifi magazines like Stereophile, and TAS, but I don't always perceive what they write as 'right', just because someone wrote something in a book (the definition of what is an audiophile, for example), doesn't nessecarily mean this is true. It's just another opinion.

the bible was probably just an opinion too, it has never been proven and probably never will.

The bible was first spoken btw, then writtten, probably completely different from what was said in the first place, and since then, everything has been changed. They've printed it since they could, also, probably with a completely different contents as originally spoken.

I don't exactly know what you mean with 'classics', I read what I like, and what I don't like I don't read. I don't read things like 'the one and only guide to audiophilia', because all it contains is just another opinion, which I probably won't agree with. Guides to reaching something is almost always personal. Perceiving those books as the one and only truth is giving up that part of your own personality, and replacing it with someone else's. If that really happened, and you'd take it to the extreme, you'd be ending with Karl Marx's theory.

But sure, I definately read, where else do you think I've gotten my English skills? I could speak and read English before we even got it at school. I read books. I read the internet, I listen to the radio and watch television.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Enjoy , than you are not a hobbyist. I remember one sunny afternoon I was enjoying an E-type Jag roaster , than alone came a BMW 2800CS. after he had almost destroyed that Jag , I went home with my tail between my legs and called the local Porsche dealer.
    Got 'em. Now I was happy again , so I thought.
    Than there was the newer Porsche , more power , than a Mercedes 500 , more room and now a 12 cylinder BMW , now underpowered.

yes, I agree that there is always more and better.

But the moment you were driving the jag. You enjoyed it. Why? because you hadn't driven the BMW yet. You also enjoyed driving the BMW, and you liked it better than the jag. and you want to try more and better. But that does not mean you didn't like the cars when you first drove them.

I wouldn't buy something expensive if I wouldn't enjoy it. If the rolls royce was the only car I could enjoy, then I'd save for the rolls, and skip the rest.

Just like I did now. I could have settled with a rotel poweramp, or a parasound, or a NAD, I could have. But I liked the Mcintosh more, and I knew it would be much better and it'd be hard to find better given the budget. I bought the Mcintosh, and I enjoy it. I know there are better Mcintoshes, and other better gears, but I cannot afford them yet, If I can, and I feel the need for 'better', I will upgrade again.

Point is that you enjoy something you have too. If you've kept the jag, and you would never have driven something else, you will enjoy the jag.

I enjoy my mcintosh (duh, name 2 other kids with a Mcintosh...), I enjoy my thiels too, I know that there is better, and I crave for better. But I am 'happy'.

I should be proud of what I have, and you should be too, just like everyone else.

With my system I have achieved things many people wouldn't achieve before they're 40 or so. And I know that there is better, and I want better, but I am happy now too.

As I've said before, there is always better. the possibility to upgrade will always be there, it's up to you to draw the line until where you want to go.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Could be but the one known ramification was the new breed of female dinasour called the "Licalotaopous".
    Great.

Now I have to get the Vitamin Water off my screen and keyboard.

Thanks. Thanks a bunch, Cartman.

I can't tell you have envious I am of you guys today. I'm completely buried and can't really spend time to enjoy what is clearly the funniest thread in a looooong time.

I'll have to read this whole thing some time later.

Enjoy!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I can't tell you have envious I am of you guys today. I'm completely buried...
    Bimmer's in a ditch again huh?

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I can't tell you have envious I am of you guys today. I'm completely buried and can't really spend time to enjoy what is clearly the funniest thread in a looooong time.

I'll have to read this whole thing some time later.

Enjoy!
    Don't bother. If you can't read it fresh, your not a real "forumphile". Plus, as Mr. Walkers posts "age" they take on that old man scent. Sort of like overripe turnips dipped in aged chedder.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Don't bother. If you can't read it fresh, your not a real "forumphile". Plus, as Mr. Walkers posts "age" they take on that old man scent. Sort of like overripe turnips dipped in aged chedder.
    Yick!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Well now, that depends.

I know a man who just purchased a new Honda and he is happy. If he is happy I am overjoyed. He is not a car person, no car person would buy a Honda. I hope you get my point , how ever old you are.
    That would depend on what that "car person" wants, wouldn't it?

If said "car person" wanted a well built, ergonomically designed car that would get good gas mileage, and would be able to avoid repair shops like a snowman avoids the summer, he would most likely opt for that Honda.

But, if he were intent on proving his own importance and was mainly intent on impressing the neighbors and himself, and didn't mind the vehicle spending an inordinate amount of time in the shop, then he might opt for an overpriced showcase. (Pssst.... I had a Jag... once)

And, when one considers he 's not capable of driving it to it's fullest extent, that makes the purchase seem a bit more bizarre, no? That's kinda like that old geezer marrying Anna Nichole Smith, isn't it? I mean, he may get pleasure out of looking at it, maybe fondling it, and perhaps some pride in ownership, but you know he's not gonna be driving it.

Kinda like you and those fine speakers, eh? Where's your hearing stop nowadays? 8, maybe 10 kilocycles?

But, ultimately, when it comes to preforming the function for which these machines were designed, the Honda bows to no-one.

The difference between impressive and expensive are two different things entirely and a real "car person" (or audio enthusiast) knows how to discern the difference.
    Last edited by markw; 02-05-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Aging Smartass
    Well, I see it's "fun and games times with Melvin" again, so I might as well add my own two cents.

My system, as I've posted previously, consists of:

Dahlquist DQ-10's (with newly rebuilt woofers by Regnar)
    Definitive Technology SP-15F subwoofer
    Adcom GFA-5800 amp (a Nelson Pass design)
    Parasound PLD-1100 preamp (a John Curl design)
    Adcom GCD-600 changer
    Adcom GDA-600 D/A converter
    Onkyo TA-6510 cassette deck
    Akai GX-600DB reel to reel (with Dolby B noise reduction)
    dbx 224s noise reduction unit (connected to both decks)
    Parasound TQ-1600 tuner
    Dual CS-5000 turntable
    Stanton Collector's Series CS-100 Cartridge
    Audio cables from Monster (Z-Series speaker cables, and digital coax), Audioquest (preamp to main amp) and Kimber silver (D/A converter to preamp) and a few other lesser known, German-manufactured high-end cables.

According to Melvin, I can't possibly be an audiophile because the only item on this list that could qualify is the Akai reel to reel, which I purchased in 1974 (it works, but not too well). Everything else, including the Dahlquists, is just too new, but he may give me extra credit for them since they were purchased in 1977 - only 2 years after his audiophile deadline.

Others have stated I'm an audiophile because I like to listen to both my system, and good music, and sought equipment based on design paramaters established by known people in the industry. That doesn't count, either. Nothing's improved since the Marantz 7C tube preamp, and his Model 9 mono amps. Never. Ever.

I'm retired and on a fixed income. I'm far from destitute, but coming by around $3k or so for a new turntable, for example, will be a lot harder now than it was years ago. So, again, I can't possibly be an audiophile, because I won't be changing my equipment again and again because the newer stuff is too "experience."

I also prefer the sound of CD's to LP's (Good God!!), especially when listening to classical music, which is my favorite kind (though I have an extensive collection of "popular" music as well). I've never heard an LP generate the expanse and depth of a large symphony orchestra and chorus, as well as the throaty sound of the brass as do many Telarc discs, and I marvel at how good most of them are. Christof Dohnanyi's rendition of Beethoven's 9th on Telarc, with the Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus is my favorite - I've got four other CD's of the 9th, as well as a couple of LP's, but none match the performance and sound of Dohnanyi's version. I think Simon Rattle has a better handle on Beethoven than most conductors, both old and new, but the sound on his EMI discs is too harsh and unpleasant for my tastes. That also disqualifies me as an audiophile, since CD's only got started in this industry in 1983 - 8 years past the "deadline."

And, even though my turntable was manufactured around 1987, it's also too new to be any good, and the Collector's Series CS-100 cartridge I'm using is a moving magnet design - just not acceptable by any audiophile.

So, I guess I'll just have to go check out my neighbor's old Magnavox console. Maybe that's audiophile stuff - it's certainly old enough!

And, I believe the drink's name is "Buttery Nipple." It consists of equal parts Bailey's Irish Creme and Butterscotch Scnopps. Very tasty!

Suspended

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    That would depend on what that "car person wants, wouldn't it?

If said "car person" wanted a well built, ergonomically designed car that would get good gas mileage, and would be able to avoid repair shops like a snowman avoids the summer, he would most likely opt for that Honda.

but, if he were intent on proving his own importance and was mainly intent on impressing the neighbors and himself, and didn't mind the vehicle spending an inordinate amount of time in the shop, then he might opt for an overpriced showcase. (Pssst.... I had a Jag... once)

And, when one considers he 's not capable of driving it to it's fullest extent, that makes the purchase seem a bit more bizarre, no? That's kinds like that old geezer marrying Anna Nichole Smith, isn't it?

But, ultimately, when it comes to preforming the function for which these machines were designed, the Honda would bow to no-one.

The difference between impressive and expensive are two different things entirely and a real "car person" knows how to discern the difference.
    There ia a car dealer in St. Louis that has a slogan we sell want ,not need. A man who buys a Honda needs a car. The man who buys a Mercedes SL500 wants a car.. There is a difference.
    As for as driving a car to it's fullest , there is no need , when there is nothing to prove. A friend of mine had just bought a Ferrari Testarossa , as we were driving down the highway alone came two young men in a Corvette, they raced their motor, made faces , but he ignored them. What was there to prove ? A Corvette , a Testarossa.

One Hartsfield can feel a stadium with sound , in a large living room , one can produce standing waves. Why ? The same with a Ferrari. Why ?

One buys a Ferrari for two reasons in my opinion , one because others can't afford it and two because it is one of the finest sports cars in the world. The same with a Patek Philippe watch or a $100,000 audio system.
    These people buy want not need. An item can be both impressive and expensive.

As for as Anna Nichole Smith is concern , the old fellow married her for the same reason he bought the Ferrari , most can't afford her and whoever she is , she must be beautiful.
    The old fellow is both a car person and a women person.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    As for as Anna Nichole Smith is concern , the old fellow married her for the same reason he bought the Ferrari , most can't afford her and whoever she is , she must be beautiful.
    Mr. Walker, are you blind? I'm not being insulting, in this instance, in this thread, right now, I'm very curious. It would explain quite a bit, the odd sentence structure, the weird verbiage, and the strange non sequiters you throw out.

If you are, I am actually feeling a bit down for you.

The reason I ask, is that Anna Nichole Smith passed away last year of a drug overdose. It would appear that you are somewhat behind in the news, and I was taken by suprise with your last question.

She was rather pretty, but had a penchent for drugs, both legal and illegal. She was highlighted in Playboy many times. Although a bit top heavy for my taste, she was attractive in her early career. Towards the end, she was a bit of a train wreck.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    And dead.

Suspended

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    Well, I see it's "fun and games times with Melvin" again, so I might as well add my own two cents.

My system, as I've posted previously, consists of:

Dahlquist DQ-10's (with newly rebuilt woofers by Regnar)
    Definitive Technology SP-15F subwoofer
    Adcom GFA-5800 amp (a Nelson Pass design)
    Parasound PLD-1100 preamp (a John Curl design)
    Adcom GCD-600 changer
    Adcom GDA-600 D/A converter
    Onkyo TA-6510 cassette deck
    Akai GX-600DB reel to reel (with Dolby B noise reduction)
    dbx 224s noise reduction unit (connected to both decks)
    Parasound TQ-1600 tuner
    Dual CS-5000 turntable
    Stanton Collector's Series CS-100 Cartridge
    Audio cables from Monster (Z-Series speaker cables, and digital coax), Audioquest (preamp to main amp) and Kimber silver (D/A converter to preamp) and a few other lesser known, German-manufactured high-end cables.

According to Melvin, I can't possibly be an audiophile because the only item on this list that could qualify is the Akai reel to reel, which I purchased in 1974 (it works, but not too well). Everything else, including the Dahlquists, is just too new, but he may give me extra credit for them since they were purchased in 1977 - only 2 years after his audiophile deadline.

Others have stated I'm an audiophile because I like to listen to both my system, and good music, and sought equipment based on design paramaters established by known people in the industry. That doesn't count, either. Nothing's improved since the Marantz 7C tube preamp, and his Model 9 mono amps. Never. Ever.

I'm retired and on a fixed income. I'm far from destitute, but coming by around $3k or so for a new turntable, for example, will be a lot harder now than it was years ago. So, again, I can't possibly be an audiophile, because I won't be changing my equipment again and again because the newer stuff is too "experience."

I also prefer the sound of CD's to LP's (Good God!!), especially when listening to classical music, which is my favorite kind (though I have an extensive collection of "popular" music as well). I've never heard an LP generate the expanse and depth of a large symphony orchestra and chorus, as well as the throaty sound of the brass as do many Telarc discs, and I marvel at how good most of them are. Christof Dpjmamyi's rendition of Beethoven's 9th on Telarc, with the Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus is my favorite - I've got four other CD's of the 9th, as well as a couple of LP's, but none match the performance and sound of Dohnanyi's version. I think Simon Rattle has a better handle on Beethoven than most conductors, both old and new, but the sound on his EMI discs is too harsh and unpleasant for my tastes. That also disqualifies me as an audiophile, since CD's only got started in this industry in 1983 - 8 years past the "deadline."

And, even though my turntable was manufactured around 1987, it's also too new to be any good, and the Collector's Series CS-100 cartridge I'm using is a moving magnet design - just not acceptable by any audiophile.

So, I guess I'll just have to go check out my neighbor's old Magnavox console. Maybe that's audiophile stuff - it's certainly old enough!

And, I believe the drink's name is "Buttery Nipple." It consists of equal parts Bailey's Irish Creme and Butterscotch Scnopps. Very tasty!
    Most of your system is inconsistant. Not very expensive by today's standards. Parasound builds a better preamp. Your speakers Dahlquist DO10's were medium priced speakers in their day. Why not Audio Research preamp are Conrad Johnson ? New.
    Maybe Mark Levinson power amps, Cary Martin power amps, new. If you must have a cassette deck , you can do better than that. Your tape recorder is a dog ! Your Turntabe
    lets say cheap , how about a Linn Sondek , if you have the cash there's Micro Seiki $30,000 or a SME for $22,000. New.

But you said you were on a fixed income , I understand. I should add a LP would sound terrible on that system , no definition LP's are more detailed , CD's have greater dynamics. You wouldn't know judging by that mid priced audio system you own.
    The young man from Belgium will pass you by in a few years at the rate he is moving.
    My opinion.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    And dead.
    We all die, but the old fellow died with a smile on his face !!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Mr. Walker, are you blind? I'm not being insulting, in this instance, in this thread, right now, I'm very curious. It would explain quite a bit, the odd sentence structure, the weird verbiage, and the strange non sequiters you throw out.

If you are, I am actually feeling a bit down for you.

The reason I ask, is that Anna Nichole Smith passed away last year of a drug overdose. It would appear that you are somewhat behind in the news, and I was taken by suprise with your last question.

She was rather pretty, but had a penchent for drugs, both legal and illegal. She was highlighted in Playboy many times. Although a bit top heavy for my taste, she was attractive in her early career. Towards the end, she was a bit of a train wreck.
    I have no interest in drug heads. I am more interested in Iraq , health care , the economy ,
    Presidential race , the Superbowl , world series , tennis grand slams, world events , etc.
    Never heard of her. if she was on the news I would change the channel , get something more interesting.
    My opinion.

We all die, but the old fellow died with a smile on his face !!
    Actually, he a lot of crying. She left him on their wedding night to run off with her body guard. He spent the rest of his days trying to find a way to cut her out of his inheritance.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information